Hudson Bay polar bear numbers increase

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Hudson Bay polar bear numbers increase
Slight gain over 2004 numbers despite warnings of possible population decline due to climate change

A recent aerial survey of Western Hudson Bay polar bears shows the population has increased slightly to about 1,000 animals, according to the Government of Nunavut.

In 2004, a mark-recapture survey done near Churchill, Man., estimated the Western Hudson Bay population at 935 bears, down from 1194 in 1988. A 2006 study hypothesized that if the climate continued to warm, the polar bear population would decline.

The latest survey used planes and helicopters to cover ground from Chesterfield Inlet, Nunavut, south to the Ontario border.

Drikus Gissing, director of wildlife with the Government of Nunavut, said the new numbers vindicate the Nunavut government's recent decision to increase the area’s bear hunting quota. He also said it’s a clear recognition of the value of Inuit Traditional Knowledge.

"If I could convey one message here, it's that polar bears are not endangered,” he said. “And this confirms it. They are not endangered. There are concerns about the effects of global warming, but they are not endangered."

Nunavut Tunngavik is also commending the results, as predictions of reduced polar bear numbers were used to draw attention to climate change, but it says no changes were made to reduce the causes or impacts of climate change while harvesting quotas were affected.

"We are quite happy,” said James Eetoolook, vice-president of Nunavut Tunngavik. “The western science was predicting the polar bear in the Western Hudson Bay was declining, but again, Inuit proved them they were wrong."

Hudson Bay polar bear numbers increase - North - CBC News

Told you so..... Again.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I think I mentioned that I had dinner a few times with the head guy that does the government studies on polars and I also mentioned how he said they were doing fine,maybe a few years ago and recently I mentioned it again.
These real researchers usually hit every remote camp in the arctic.

So who do you believe? Someone on an internet forum pulling stuff off google or that kee kee kablunak in kamiks pulling his kamutak amongst the tuk tuk in -60 ambient?

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Wished i could really believe this too,either its true,or someone counted the same bears twice.

As for the global warming,if the ice patches they use to rest disapear,they could replace them bu floating decks (big enough for the bears)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wished i could really believe this too,either its true,or someone counted the same bears twice.

As for the global warming,if the ice patches they use to rest disapear,they could replace them bu floating decks (big enough for the bears)
They are omnivores. If they can't eat from the sea they'll eat off the land. No biggie.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Hudsons bay ice melts every year in june and refreezes end of september,this is where most of the studies are done as they do migrate north up the bay as the ice melts,not because they like ice but because lots of belugas wash up on shore and its easy feeding,polar bears can swim for days.

At one time grizzly bears were prarie dwellers.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The tagging method for these results has been criticized because they basically fly around in helicopters and count by eye.

I don't know how extensive the research has been in this area (counting a species), but these results are generally accepted.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The tagging method for these results has been criticized because they basically fly around in helicopters and count by eye.

I don't know how extensive the research has been in this area (counting a species), but these results are generally accepted.
Ya so? Have you ever seen how huge the arctic is? Everything is done by chopper or air.
We had a wolf attack ours once while trying to chase it away,one thing nice about being in the air.

In case you didnt know,there are no roads up there.
Also every single remote camp has a wildlife report sheet,any animal seen by anyone anywhere is recorded,every camp does this and its very valuable info and it is used in studies.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ya so? Have you ever seen how huge the arctic is? Everything is done by chopper or air.
We had a wolf attack ours once while trying to chase it away,one thing nice about being in the air.

In case you didnt know,there are no roads up there.
Also every single remote camp has a wildlife report sheet,any animal seen by anyone anywhere is recorded,every camp does this and its very valuable info and it is used in studies.

The other method is rfid tag and label. It's more accurate, but the difference is probably negligible.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
They pretty well know where most of the bears are,they may fly around in choppers but they also stay in these remote camps and venture out on the tundra but most times chopper are used,it takes a day to fly over the arctic in a twin engine turboprop.Thats why they rely on the info at the camps,we can track wandering grizzlys for hundreds of miles just by talking to pilots and camp managers etc,people out in the field.
The arctic may be big but theres not many people and most do know someone in each village or camp.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I gave the information on Polar Bears earlier. All the anecdotal claims in the world do not alter that. To add a little, the declining sub groups are the largest groups accounting for more than half the world total and they are also the groups that are hardest hit.

As for the Hudson Bay Group, studies of that show that there is a weight loss of about 20% for females. Its apparent health in numbers is illusory. It is teetering on the brink of collapse.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I gave the information on Polar Bears earlier. All the anecdotal claims in the world do not alter that. To add a little, the declining sub groups are the largest groups accounting for more than half the world total and they are also the groups that are hardest hit.

As for the Hudson Bay Group, studies of that show that there is a weight loss of about 20% for females. Its apparent health in numbers is illusory. It is teetering on the brink of collapse.
Quit fearmongering,even the Innuit that live all up that coast would call B.S.
Thats why they did the civil disobediance defense shooting thing a few years ago,surely you heard about it? When fearmongerers like you talked the govt. into cutting the polar bear quota because of drowning polar bears?
I was in these communities at that time so I saw it with my own eyes and trust me,these bears are not underwieght.