How would this make you feel?

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
I was in line at Tim Horton’s this morning. In line in front of me was a man who must have had serious brain surgery recently. He was wearing a bandage over his head and you could see that a large portion of his skull had been cut open and stapled shut. He was missing at least a half-inch of skin over about a quarter of his head. He’d been shaved bald. He waited with the rest of us and at his turn, ordered coffees for him and a couple of friends, he paid his bill.

After he left, I turned to the woman behind me and asked “God, what on earth happened to his head?”

She said “Jesus, I was just thinking that. And first thing in the morning, too.”

First thing in the morning? I wondered. This just didn’t happen to this man today, I was thinking. It wasn’t until I was in my car and driving away did I realize what the woman meant.

Not for one second did it matter to her that this gentleman had half his head removed. Not for one second did she consider the pain the man must have gone through. Not for one second was she impressed that even though he went through this, he still waited in line for his coffee. Not for one second did she realize that this man’s family could have easily lost him because of this. Not for one second did she spend thinking of something other than how offensive it was to have to look at him first thing in the morning.

Not for one second did she remember it was Christmas.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
HAVEN'T YOU NOTICED?? It's become a me first world!!

What do you want for Christmas..the spirit of getting....

how dare that man upset other people's day by showing his injuries in public,,,,

Merry Christmas to all

Northboy

Electoral Member
I was in line at Tim Horton’s this morning. In line in front of me was a man who must have had serious brain surgery recently. He was wearing a bandage over his head and you could see that a large portion of his skull had been cut open and stapled shut. He was missing at least a half-inch of skin over about a quarter of his head. He’d been shaved bald. He waited with the rest of us and at his turn, ordered coffees for him and a couple of friends, he paid his bill.

After he left, I turned to the woman behind me and asked “God, what on earth happened to his head?”

She said “Jesus, I was just thinking that. And first thing in the morning, too.”

First thing in the morning? I wondered. This just didn’t happen to this man today, I was thinking. It wasn’t until I was in my car and driving away did I realize what the woman meant.

Not for one second did it matter to her that this gentleman had half his head removed. Not for one second did she consider the pain the man must have gone through. Not for one second was she impressed that even though he went through this, he still waited in line for his coffee. Not for one second did she realize that this man’s family could have easily lost him because of this. Not for one second did she spend thinking of something other than how offensive it was to have to look at him first thing in the morning.

Not for one second did she remember it was Christmas.

The first thing that came to my mind,

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.....................

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Dear GG

Oh that was awful - I wish you had been with your wonderful son - he of the challenging retorts!!!

I have nothing to add or excuse this behavior GG - but think of it like this:

What a poverty of the soul that woman has chosen to walk her walk though life eh?

We can walk in sunshine and warmth and loving if we so choose - even if we are hurting to the core....
it lightens our load to give kindness and understanding.

But it is always our choice.

And for the gentleman with the staples, he may be celebrating at Timmys because he was operable and perhaps is looking at an extended life rather than one which could have been cut short when he was not ready to give up. He apparently decided to fight the battle....and is taking it day by day.... in which Timmy's would be a great place to live it up! Which he was doing with his friends... be so happy for him....

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Hey Curio
God, I don't know what the kid would have said. I'd like to think that he would feel as I did but I don't really know. I think the man was celebrating, and what a good way to do so. No one knew him at the Timmy's so I imagine he hadn't been out of the hospital long. I'm just impressed that he went to get the coffee instead of sending one of his buddies ( he ordered three coffees ).

Honestly, tears were rolling down my face when I realized what this woman felt. I can honestly say that people in my town are the most superficial and shallow people I've ever known. It's truly a tragedy that this man had gone through this, but to receive not even a HINT of sympathy just breaks my heart.

My kid is a wonderful person. He works full time and goes to school. And where he works, he deals with elderly people all day long. The only time he ever says anything negative about his work, is when he is bitched out by his boss.

CAN WE NOT FIND ONE TINY MINUTE IN A DAY TO BE NICE?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Dear GG

Ah love your son has a fan club from afar!! You and he would have been a formidable team for that old bat....

I am sorry you had to see that and sorry the people in your town seem to tend to the critical side....I know where I live - if you are standing in line anywhere, it is cause for a chat to the people around you...I rarely stand quietly or alone while waiting at the post office or grocery store.... and people are so happy to spend a few minutes smiling rather than feeling impatient....

Some dude years ago at a little college somewhere in California started a Random Acts of Kindness thing and it just caught on.... we are always waving people through when we are stoppped at a 4-way...smile and nod...it just makes the days seem smoother and more comfortable. I wish people would give it a go.

Even a couple of the street guys with signs put up the truth now.... 'I would love a beer'.....hahaha...

Sent up a little wee prayer for the TimBit man who has obviously seen some tense moments....and hope he has a wonderful Christmas and a totally new refreshing 2007....

You and your wonder boy included too!