How to stay warm for BCers

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: How to stay warm for

I saw what passes for driving in the snow there on the news. He should have written a few more articles. ;-)

I have a winter driving story that has nothing to do with BCers though....

My friend's old neighbour was from Jamaica. The first winter he was in Regina he got stuck...not badly, it would have come out with a little rocking. Instead he spun the tires at about 60 MPH until one of them blew. It was hilarious.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I saw what passes for driving in the snow there on the news. He should have written a few more articles. ;-)

My friend's old neighbour was from Jamaica. The first winter he was in Regina he got stuck...not badly, it would have come out with a little rocking. Instead he spun the tires at about 60 MPH until one of them blew. It was hilarious.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I remember when it first started snowing, all these Islanders outside saying "what is this strange substance falling from the sky? Maybe a plane exploded". Then something triggered in their heads. The blizzard of 96. Panic sets in. They run to their local Safeway and buy supplies of food, in case all the cows die, and water, in case the pipes freeze. 1 inc of snow, 2 inches of snow, it just keeps rising! And then here I am still riding my bike because I'm from Ottawa and I'm used to 6 months of snow. I told my landlord I brought the snow from Ottawa and she looked like she wanted to kick me out.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I remember when it first started snowing, all these Islanders outside saying "what is this strange substance falling from the sky? Maybe a plane exploded". Then something triggered in their heads. The blizzard of 96. Panic sets in. They run to their local Safeway and buy supplies of food, in case all the cows die, and water, in case the pipes freeze. 1 inc of snow, 2 inches of snow, it just keeps rising! And then here I am still riding my bike because I'm from Ottawa and I'm used to 6 months of snow. I told my landlord I brought the snow from Ottawa and she looked like she wanted to kick me out.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
HA! you got something wrong there gonzo :p who shops at safeway???? thats an american store...promote local...shop thrifty's and organic planet :wink: Yes but are you riding your bike in shorts?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
HA! you got something wrong there gonzo :p who shops at safeway???? thats an american store...promote local...shop thrifty's and organic planet :wink: Yes but are you riding your bike in shorts?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
promote local...shop thrifty's and organic planet

I hate to be the one to burst a bubble, but if you look at the products labelled as Thrifty's own you'll find the stuff inside is not Canadian. So your ARE supporting a Canadian Store (island owned) but they're supporting other countries products and labelling it as their own. Don't buy their tuna. It's bought from Thailand (full of mercury and not dolphin friendly) Shipped to canada and canned for them. The cans are Canadian though. :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I hate to be the one to burst a bubble, but if you look at the products labelled as Thrifty's own you'll find the stuff inside is not Canadian. So your ARE supporting a Canadian Store (island owned) but they're supporting other countries products and labelling it as their own. Don't buy their tuna. It's bought from Thailand (full of mercury and not dolphin friendly) Shipped to canada and canned for them. The cans are Canadian though. :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The cans are Canadian though.

Gotta support the Canadian mining industry. :?

And then here I am still riding my bike because I'm from Ottawa and I'm used to 6 months of snow.

Oh, you are one of those guys, Gonzo. I keep seeing your fellow cyclists all bundled up trying to navigate the treacherous January streets of Winnipeg. So far I've resisted the impulse to drive over them and claim that they fell down on the ice. :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

And then here I am still riding my bike because I'm from Ottawa and I'm used to 6 months of snow.

Oh, you are one of those guys, Gonzo. I keep seeing your fellow cyclists all bundled up trying to navigate the treacherous January streets of Winnipeg. So far I've resisted the impulse to drive over them and claim that they fell down on the ice. :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
twila you are not bursting my bubble :wink: I don't buy tuna in the can or salmon, unless of course its canned by my brother. And I always read the back of everything :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
twila you are not bursting my bubble :wink: I don't buy tuna in the can or salmon, unless of course its canned by my brother. And I always read the back of everything :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I found it kinda funny the city had to give away free salt as all the stores ran out. ha ha.

I remember the two winters I had in Winnipeg and 6 I had in Fort ST. John and if Vanccouver was ever to get cold or snowey like those places the town would shut down for, who knows how long.

It is hilarious going out and seeing people without snow tires trying to drive.

I still have my winter clothes which I have not used for a number of years for when I go out. But it really does not get that cold just cold for here.