How to set up a sole proprietorship?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Okay, so now you're aware of the differences between a professional corporation and a sole proprietorship. Must have done some reading overnight.

I have always been aware, TenPenny. My question to Kreskin was rhetorical. His point was that sole proprietorship cannot be a corporation and I was disputing that. A person can be the sole owner and still be a corporation.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I have always been aware, TenPenny. My question to Kreskin was rhetorical. His point was that sole proprietorship cannot be a corporation and I was disputing that. A person can be the sole owner and still be a corporation.

And indeed, a 'sole proprietorship' is not, and cannot be, a corporation.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Depends upon what you mean by sole proprietorship. If sole proprietorship means one person owning the company, then a sole proprietorship can be a corporation.

it appears sjp still doesn't understand the legal differences between a sole proprietorship and a corporation.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
it appears sjp still doesn't understand the legal differences between a sole proprietorship and a corporation.

It is far easier to be correct in discussions when one doesn't actually know, or care, what the meanings of the words are.

Perhaps a 'sole proprietorship' is a fishing vessel used to catch one particular species of white fish? In which case, of course, it could be a sole prorprietorship that is a limited partnership.

edit - spelling

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It is far easier to be correct in discussions when one doesn't actually know, or care, what the meanings of the words are.

Perhaps a 'sole proprietorship' is a fishing vessel used to catch one particular species of white fish? In which case, of course, it could be a sole prorprietorship that is a limited partnership.

edit - spelling

That's a sole propeller ship ;)