How much do Canadian soldiers get payed?

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: How much do Canadian

Mogz said:
With regard to Communications Reserves having a good relationship with the Reg Force. That's obviously changed then. Being a Signaller myself, i'm appaled by the lack of training the reserves are receiving, especially the drips from Debney Armouries in Edmonton. They pack up their "troops", send them to Kingston for a few weeks and deem them as capable as a Reg Force Signaller who spends 6 months in Kingston. Then you get them out to the field and tell them to set up a vixam mast and they look at you like you've got eight heads. Comm Reserves aren't very well respect by the Reg Force equivilent, granted that's not to say there aren't some excellent reservists, there are.

Very sorry to hear that. I know before I left (in Sep 98) they were changing the officer courses in Kingston to make the reserve courses less compatible with the reg courses then they had been in the past. Don't know what they had in mind for the or's courses.

Do you know if the comm res is still a separate entity or if it was swallowed up by the militia? Is it a case of the res units not having enough of the tccs equipment to train on properly?

I know you don't have the answers, I'm just thinking out loud now. This pisses me off a lot. I was the CO of 746 in Calgary before I moved to the US and I'd hate to think the comm res has fallen that much in it's training and standards. Time to email a couple of old friends and see what's going on.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: How much do Canadian

You know, I don't honestly know if the any of the Comm Squadrons are directly controlled by the Reserves or if they're still under the sway of the Communications Branch. I'll confess that some of the workings of the Canadian Army Reserve baffles me. I recently flipped through the Army Directory for 2006 for Edmonton, and I noticed that 745 Comm Squadron (Reserve) isn't listed under 41 Brigade. I do know they're based out of the Debney Armouries on the South Side of Edmonton, but the directory doesn't affiliated them with the Brigade. Strange.

With regard to TCCCS equipment, every time i've been to the field with Reserves they've always had enough equipment. They may not have enough in terms of "full allocation", but I do know that they aren't using any legacy equipment has the Army (both reserve and regular) are fully under the TCCCS system now. I do know that they lack certain items; i.e. The PDTs and FDTs, however those aren't exactly a large part of effective combat communications, they're more like a nicety.

I think the drop in effectiveness of the reserves is due in part to the Canadian Army no longer setting an effective standard. The military will take anyone, and accept any level of motivation and/or competence. It's a stigma dogging the military right now, and it's only getting worse. Couple that with the fact that the school in Kingston is teaching Reserve Signallers but a fraction of what they need to know, and you have the current state of the Branch. Abysmal in my opinion.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: How much do Canadian

Mogz said:
I recently flipped through the Army Directory for 2006 for Edmonton, and I noticed that 745 Comm Squadron (Reserve) isn't listed under 41 Brigade. I do know they're based out of the Debney Armouries on the South Side of Edmonton, but the directory doesn't affiliated them with the Brigade. Strange.

In that case it sounds like they still aren't part of the Militia. They are under the command of 74 Comm Gp out of Vancouver and are part of whatever DISO/Communication Command is called now.

This may sound strange from a reg force point of view where 1 CMBG is within the Bde/Army but it works out better for the Comm Reserve. They are within a reg force chain of comd instead of the more politcally motivated/amatuerish Militia chain of comd. And most importantly, they are funded separately so (at least in the past) the Comm Reserve always is able to train more and fund more callouts because they have more money per soldier.

I am sorry to hear they've changed the training at Kingston for reservists and lowered the standards. Not good for an army that is so small and will always need reserve augmentation for all the tasks they have.