How many professed Catholics truly believe?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So, you want to open the constitution, remove my rights as a Catholic in Alberta, for something that has offended you in Ontario. Is that right?

Not quite. As a matter of fact, we could look at it this way. Supposing that Canada adopted the UDHR as its chief constitutional document, this would automatically require no distinction on the basis of religion. This would thus require extending the separate school system to all religions. This would mean that when deciding the school board to vote for, you'd have plenty to choose from. Whether it would be affordable is another matter, but as long as we don't change the CCRF, we'd be stuck with 8 or 9 school boards. I could live with that. After all, some here say it doesn't cost extra anyway. I would dislike such a system due to the cost, but I could support it due to its equality.

As for now, Ontario still discriminates on the basis of religion. Jewish schools are left to themselves.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Seems like most everyone has an ax to grind and a point to prove. Waste of time.
well except that...I think when thoughts and feelings and facts get thrown onto the table and churned around it helps to clarify what we think and feel about various issues, plus when others make really great points it makes me re-examine my stance and perhaps even soften it

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't...no

how is going to a faith based school making the footing unequal?

Because Catholic schools can receive government funding whereas Jewish and other schools don't. That is why the UN High Commission for Human Rights criticized Canada over it, saying it had to be all or bothing. Either all religious schools were equally funded, or none at all. Right now only Catholic and Protestant schools can get funding in Ontario. Even Orthodox ones cannot.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
well except that...I think when thoughts and feelings and facts get thrown onto the table and churned around it helps to clarify what we think and feel about various issues, plus when others make really great points it makes me re-examine my stance and perhaps even soften it
As long as it doesn't cross the ole live and let live line I would agree with you to an extent. We sure like to examine each other a lot though. I do it myself . Maybe the older I get the more I feel that it matters about as much as a steamin pile lying in the road.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Seems like most everyone has an ax to grind and a point to prove. Waste of time.

Yup....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Because Catholic schools can receive government funding whereas Jewish and other schools don't. That is why the UN High Commission for Human Rights criticized Canada over it, saying it had to be all or bothing. Either all religious schools were equally funded, or none at all. Right now only Catholic and Protestant schools can get funding in Ontario. Even Orthodox ones cannot.

All are funded equally.

Funding follows the child.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Not quite. As a matter of fact, we could look at it this way. Supposing that Canada adopted the UDHR as its chief constitutional document, this would automatically require no distinction on the basis of religion. This would thus require extending the separate school system to all religions. This would mean that when deciding the school board to vote for, you'd have plenty to choose from. Whether it would be affordable is another matter, but as long as we don't change the CCRF, we'd be stuck with 8 or 9 school boards. I could live with that. After all, some here say it doesn't cost extra anyway. I would dislike such a system due to the cost, but I could support it due to its equality.

As for now, Ontario still discriminates on the basis of religion. Jewish schools are left to themselves.
omg...you are opening a quagmire of crap for our kids, our culture and our country

1. I do not want kids going to a school which endorses Sharia law and discriminates against women not only from a faith base but from a life base
  2. I do not want kids attending a school where the curriculum deviates one iota due to faith such as not teaching evolution
  3. who is going to build these schools
  4. who is going to pay for the bussing
  5. who is going to regulate them...
no, this can't happen in Canada

we have already had such problems and closed down such schools... my god if you want to have to swell government ranks just in the educations sector this would be the way to bankrupt us

you have no idea of how the education system functions and just what is involved...it would be a FUBAR

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
you can't do that.....you don't get it....the curriculum has to be standardized...it can't happen with every little pocket of faith opening their own schools...

as for the Jews why can't they do it....the Muslims do

they just bought a school from the Catholic Board here in my region

but

they have to follow curriculum... and a million other rules...if they can show that...they can have a school and they will receive the same funding other schools do

but omg...you have no idea about even how complicated money management etc is...you can't just throw some desks into a room and away you go....

Born yesterday christian schools are f-cked up.
they head to the Catholic system...

at least the balanced ones do

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
By teaching the Provincial curriculum they get funded. Funding follows the student regardless of religion as long as they are taught the Provincial program.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
How many professed Catholics truly believe?

Who cares? If you happen to be one of the Catholics in question in
the thread title, then it's an individual question (& a private one) for
each individual person.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
omg...you are opening a quagmire of crap for our kids, our culture and our country

1. I do not want kids going to a school which endorses Sharia law and discriminates against women not only from a faith base but from a life base
  2. I do not want kids attending a school where the curriculum deviates one iota due to faith such as not teaching evolution
  3. who is going to build these schools
  4. who is going to pay for the bussing
  5. who is going to regulate them...
no, this can't happen in Canada

we have already had such problems and closed down such schools... my god if you want to have to swell government ranks just in the educations sector this would be the way to bankrupt us

you have no idea of how the education system functions and just what is involved...it would be a FUBAR

The only thing Machjo is interested in is attempting to satiate his hate for the Catholic Church. It matters not to him who all gets hurt or how much it costs the tax payers of this Country.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
People that hate the Catholic Church.

Of course it's individual but when you hate the Catholic Church......

You have to scale things, I guess. Would I want a Chuch nextdoor with its bells
& such every Sunday morning and its traffic? No really.

Would I rather have that Chuch nextdoor than the Coke Dealer I currently have
with his traffic (& trafficing) at all hours? In a heartbeat!

Uhoh. Does that make me anti-coke-dealer? Anti-coke-dealer-ist?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The only thing Machjo is interested in is attempting to satiate his hate for the Catholic Church. It matters not to him who all gets hurt or how much it costs the tax payers of this Country.
If the RCC (and others) weren't fighting it in court the cost to the taxpayer would be minimal. That being said the Federal Govt should be coughing up money as it was their program to begin with.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah dude

I love the bells...I miss the bells. In my small city where I was born you could tell the time by the strike of the Anglican church bell thorough out the day. Also our St. Mary' church here play a series of bells at a quarter to eight every morning...when I work at that school nearby I make sure I am there early enough to hear them ring.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Are the dealers molesting children? (and then denying it happens)