How 2 get webcam to work w/ MSN and router

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it
Hi, moghrabi, I have a question.

I forwarded all the ports in my LINKSYS router and tried connecting with audio and it didn't work. I tried with people behind a router and with a person not behind a router.

I do have a firewall and when trying to connect through audio nothing is being blocked in the firewall.

My webcam does work just not the audio. Any insights on what can be causing this problem?

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

I forwarded all the ports in my LINKSYS router and tried connecting with audio and it didn't work. I tried with people behind a router and with a person not behind a router.

I do have a firewall and when trying to connect through audio nothing is being blocked in the firewall.

My webcam does work just not the audio. Any insights on what can be causing this problem?

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

lpak

Jan 30, 2005
Hi

I ahve similar problems...I'm using a Linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4) with the latest firmware (1.50.14) - this is slightly different than the screen capture displayed in a previous msg.

I ahve setup the static ip address and the port forwarding and the internet works fine. Note that the ip address is confirmed static by both ipconfig /all and through the control panel.

the web cam works if i plug it directly into the cable modem but using wireless, no audio. note that the video has always worked (DHCP or static and no port forwarding).

I'm pretty bafflled - do i need to poke a hole in my software firewall? In the firewall options, msn is already listed but i can not see which ports are actually open - i imagine all thqat are needed because the webcam works through the ethernet connection.

thanks, Lyle

lpak

Jan 30, 2005
Hi

I ahve similar problems...I'm using a Linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4) with the latest firmware (1.50.14) - this is slightly different than the screen capture displayed in a previous msg.

I ahve setup the static ip address and the port forwarding and the internet works fine. Note that the ip address is confirmed static by both ipconfig /all and through the control panel.

the web cam works if i plug it directly into the cable modem but using wireless, no audio. note that the video has always worked (DHCP or static and no port forwarding).

I'm pretty bafflled - do i need to poke a hole in my software firewall? In the firewall options, msn is already listed but i can not see which ports are actually open - i imagine all thqat are needed because the webcam works through the ethernet connection.

thanks, Lyle

lpak

Jan 30, 2005
Hi

thanks, Lyle

Primus

Feb 2, 2005
England
Hello moghrabi,

I'm new to this forum so I hope you don't mind me asking further questions on this subject.

I have a WAG54G-UK and I followed you instructions for the forwarding and it has made a difference. How ever I can hear people now but they can't hear me, although my greens bars are going up and down when I talk.

Is there another port to open for people on the other end to hear me?

Cheers

Primus

Feb 2, 2005
England
Hello moghrabi,

I'm new to this forum so I hope you don't mind me asking further questions on this subject.

I have a WAG54G-UK and I followed you instructions for the forwarding and it has made a difference. How ever I can hear people now but they can't hear me, although my greens bars are going up and down when I talk.

Cheers

Primus

Feb 2, 2005
England
Hello moghrabi,

Cheers

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Welcome to all.

I was away for awhile and I am sorry for being late at answering your questions.

If you have a software firewall alongside the router, make sure you give server permission to MSN/Yahoo in your software firewall.

If you can also tell me which firewall you are using I can assist you with setting that up.

Sometimes you can't hear audio because of the other person blocking outgoing audio to you. It is not an easy to troubleshoot if both parties have firewalls and it is not always your side that is not working.

Hope to hear from you soon.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Welcome to all.

I was away for awhile and I am sorry for being late at answering your questions.

If you have a software firewall alongside the router, make sure you give server permission to MSN/Yahoo in your software firewall.

If you can also tell me which firewall you are using I can assist you with setting that up.

Sometimes you can't hear audio because of the other person blocking outgoing audio to you. It is not an easy to troubleshoot if both parties have firewalls and it is not always your side that is not working.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Welcome to all.

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it
RE: How 2 get webcam to w

Hi moghrabi, my problem is it doens't even connect. It'll say Connecting and that's all.

I have Outpost as a firewall but nothing is being blocked as I look and everything is being allowed past when MSN asks for it.

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

Hi moghrabi, my problem is it doens't even connect. It'll say Connecting and that's all.

I have Outpost as a firewall but nothing is being blocked as I look and everything is being allowed past when MSN asks for it.

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: How 2 get webcam to w

CrEsPo said:

Hi CeEsPo:

This is the most common problem and the easiest to resolve. Just ask you friend on the other side to kindly drop his shield.

You see firewalls work both ways. you have yours setup to allow MSN but you friend does not have it this way. if both of you (for testing purposes) drop your shields, you will`have no problem.

The bottom line in your situation is that the other party you are trying to connect to mus also allow MSN to have server rights and be able to use the ports it needs.

if you have any problems, I can try it with you from my computer and we can go through the whole thing.

Good luck.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

CrEsPo said:

Hi CeEsPo:

This is the most common problem and the easiest to resolve. Just ask you friend on the other side to kindly drop his shield.

You see firewalls work both ways. you have yours setup to allow MSN but you friend does not have it this way. if both of you (for testing purposes) drop your shields, you will`have no problem.

The bottom line in your situation is that the other party you are trying to connect to mus also allow MSN to have server rights and be able to use the ports it needs.

if you have any problems, I can try it with you from my computer and we can go through the whole thing.

Good luck.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

CrEsPo said:

Hi CeEsPo:

Good luck.

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

Thanks for the reply. See I try with users with and without routers and same with firewalls. Nothing I try can connect.

It would be nice to go through it but I wouldn't want to bother you anymore then I am now.

Any other suggestions? Could something else be blocking it?

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

Thanks for the reply. See I try with users with and without routers and same with firewalls. Nothing I try can connect.

It would be nice to go through it but I wouldn't want to bother you anymore then I am now.

Any other suggestions? Could something else be blocking it?