hooking up a wii to an A/V reciever

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
Hello again. I am asking for your help on behalf of a co-worker, she is having issues with her wii, and I hoped you guys could help. She has a Sharp Qattron TV, and it has no component video inputs, so she bought an A/V receiver that has them. I know the wii hooks up via component video cables. What I need to know is what cable(s) do you use, to hook the TV up to the receiver? What input is best input on the receiver to hook the wii to? Obviously it would have to be a COMPONENT IN, then that input would have to be programed, yes? It's the video aspect more than anything she's having trouble with. Thanks a bunch.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Hello again. I am asking for your help on behalf of a co-worker, she is having issues with her wii, and I hoped you guys could help. She has a Sharp Qattron TV, and it has no component video inputs, so she bought an A/V receiver that has them. I know the wii hooks up via component video cables. What I need to know is what cable(s) do you use, to hook the TV up to the receiver? What input is best input on the receiver to hook the wii to? Obviously it would have to be a COMPONENT IN, then that input would have to be programed, yes? It's the video aspect more than anything she's having trouble with. Thanks a bunch.

If I'm following this correctly your friend may have purchased the wrong A/V receiver, because where that receiver attaches to the TV should (hopefully) be obvious. Are you sure the TV has no component video inputs?

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
Well, not the traditional component video inputs. I was looking at the Sharp web page, and they show the back of one of the TV's. It has a VGA/RGB (analog) input.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ql69uf.jpg

Go to the above url to see what I mean.

I think she's going to need an adapter cable. What do you think? Thanks.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Well, not the traditional component video inputs. I was looking at the Sharp web page, and they show the back of one of the TV's. It has a VGA/RGB (analog) input.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ql69uf.jpg

Go to the above url to see what I mean.

I think she's going to need an adapter cable. What do you think? Thanks.

Your pics really helps here. See those inputs labeled "HDMI"? (Stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface)That's what you need - a HDMI cable. It provides both the video and audio. I have used HDMI cables for the Xbox 360, and the PS3. I assume its possible with the Wii as well. Check the back of the Wii and make sure it has a HDMI output.

I'm about 90% sure this solve your problem, but save the package and receipt in case this doesn't work. Good Luck! :)

Last edited:

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
I'm sorry, I goofed. I misunderstood what kind of cable came with the WII. It's a composite video cable (yellow, red, and white), not component. But still, the "Video" input on that TV is an 1/8" jack, like a headphone jack or something. Any ideas? Thanks.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I'm sorry, I goofed. I misunderstood what kind of cable came with the WII. It's a composite video cable (yellow, red, and white), not component. But still, the "Video" input on that TV is an 1/8" jack, like a headphone jack or something. Any ideas? Thanks.

I can see the 1/8 hole for your "video" input and I don't know what type of connection that is. But I'm still sure you can have video and audio by using the HDMI connection. One cord, both video input and audio input. That's what I use for video game consoles. The yellow, red, white cables are unused and thrown in a box.

In fact, I also use the HDMI cable for my PVR, thats how handy it is.

Just check the back of the Wii and make sure it has the HDMI connection.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You can buy an adapter to change the Wii output to the minijack. I think Sharp sells them.