Hockey (winter olympics)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
They actually played as a team last night, and when they shot on net, they weren't aiming for the goalie's chest.

All the reason that the germany game was necessary and
beneficial, it takes a few games to get the chemistry,
and give the coaches time to juggle lines till they are
happy with the mix, it all looks good on paper, but until
the team is playing, they can't be 100% sure of lines.

They don't 'aim' at the goalie's chest, the play is so
fast, most times a player doesn't have time to actually
pick the corner, and when they do, they often miss the net,
then they get trashed for 'not' being able to hit the
target, I think the goalies have had to make many saves
from canadian shots, especially the u.s., so, the more
shots the more chance for goals, but more importantly, is
getting the scoring chances, and not just shooting weak
shots that have no chance at all.

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
The standard NHL rink is 2oo feet by 80 feet. and the Olympic rink is 200 feet by 100 feet.. In the Olympic rink the goal lines are 13 feet from the end boards and in the NHL rink the goal lines are 11 feet from the boards.

The cost savings come because with the smaller rink they can fit in more paying customers.

The NHL or Canadian ice surface is 200x85 feet, not 80. And the IIHF surface is 30x60 metres, or 196.8x98.4 feet.

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
The saddledome was where hockey was played in the 1988 olympics, NHL sized as the Flames play there still.

Utah might have used Olympic sized ice.

What is basically boils down to is, if an NHL or Junior team is going to play there regularly it will be an NHL sized rink.

The Calgary games were played on an Olympic size surface, as originally the first three rows of seats in the Saddledome were removeable. This feature was never used again after the games and was removed when the Dome was renovated in the 1990s.

Salt Lake also played on an Olympic surface.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This is where real hockey is played, not the sissified-style played by drunken slobs in Russia.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
IOC to investigate Canadian women's hockey team for celebration

"The International Olympic Committee will investigate the actions of Canadian women's hockey players who celebrated their gold medal victory Thursday night by swigging beer and smoking cigars on the ice in Vancouver.
A number of players, including 18-year-old superstar Marie-Philip Poulin, were drinking alcohol on the ice following the team's 2-0 defeat of the United States. (The legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19.) Players lingered for more than 70 minutes after the awards ceremony reveling in the arena, which was empty except for media and arena staff."
IOC to investigate Canadian women's hockey team for celebration - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
This year, to save costs, the rink is the nhl standard size. I believe that Olympic rinks are usually a few metres longer.

lol i finally look it up the night i ask this quetion finally got the dang page.

World Juniors play on NHL sized rinks every time they come to North America. North America shouldn't have to build new arenas to accommodate the Euros
Totally agree with this, why should we got to suffer?

The Canadians understand what is at stake and we as Americans have hockey 4th on the list of most loved sports.

I've seen more people at a Texas High School football game than I do at the Bruins games.
Let see if i can get this right...

1. Football 2. Baseball 3. Basketball 4. Hockey. Anyways i like to see who take gold i want to surprise and stun the candida but even if we lose we win in a way too. :p