Hey, recession no problem !!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
tackle this one. How can japanese unionized automakers out produce, out sell, build a better product, ship by boat and rail to Nova Scotia to still sell for considerably less after import tariffs?

Ever been to Japan? The cost of living is nearly triple than us meaning an auto worker there would be paid more than here. Japs bought closed plants from GM and rehired the employees who used to work there and never once bitched about union wages. The JAW even came over to help set things up.

From 1983 and the last time we bailed out the auto industry:

The president of the Japan Automobile Workers' Unions pledged today to assist the United Automobile Workers in the United States in organizing workers in Japanese automobile plants in this country.
Speaking before the U.A.W. convention here, Ichiro Shioji said the Japanese unions were sympathetic to unemployment among American automobile workers, which has been caused, in part, by the success of Japanese automobiles.
''Each worker laid off is a tragedy for us all,'' he declared.
The solution to the problem, he said, is for Japanese auto companies to build production facilities in the United States, and for the U.A.W. to represent the workers in those plants so they would have union pay scales.
Two Japanese auto companies, Nissan and Honda, are building production plants in American and a third, Toyota, is planning a joint venture in a General Motors Corporation plant, now closed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Quoting petros Materials and LABOUR for a vehicle is $5000 - $6000 whether geo metro or caddy.

Did you bother to look it up? The majority of the work is done by unpaid machines and automated equipment. Once the vehicle is out of the factory door the consumer picks up all the costs from that point on from freight to to extras like a lighter and ashtray which the dealership will gladly install for $350. Is that ashtray and lighter and the $20 labour to install really come to $350? YEAH RIGHT!​

I would like to know who makes those $250 hammers and $500 toilet seats that the government buys. Now those guys are making obscene profits!!!! 8O

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I would like to know who makes those $250 hammers and $500 toilet seats that the government buys. Now those guys are making obscene profits!!!! 8O
That is just a way of hiding taxpayer money to pay for black ops that would never see the light of day if the taxpayer knew how much went beyond the toilet seat and down the toilet.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"The majority of the work is done by unpaid machines and automated equipment."
THERE is one flaw in the argument, did the company get those machines and equipment for free, were they installed for free, are the maintained for free, are they repaired from time to time for free? Do they not repreciate in value? There a milion costs to building an automobile, parts and labour are just a tiny fraction, there's cost and maintenance to all the buildings, light bills, phone bills, heat bills a/c bills, janitor's wages, there is also probably two or three staff for every assembler. There would be huge insurance costs, there is quality control costs........the list just goes on and on.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What is next? Blaming the Mexicans who work for $3 an hour for TRW et al making all these "high priced parts"? Get real!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You can do better than blaming the janitors can't you?

Who was blaming the janitors? I'm not sure how it's evolved to this. I made one original statement that the workers were costing $75 an hour when fringe benefits and retirement packages were included. Was that statement not accurate? If not provide me with the accurate amount.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You pretty much blamed union employees for tanking the auto industry. By the way. They get $75 an hour but only work 2-3 days a week. If they didn't these guys would be on pogey 3/4 of the year. Would you prefer they were on pogey or getting income supplements from welfare due to lack of hours?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You pretty much blamed union employees for tanking the auto industry. By the way. They get $75 an hour but only work 2-3 days a week. If they didn't these guys would be on pogey 3/4 of the year. Would you prefer they were on pogey or getting income supplements from welfare due to lack of hours?

I didn't blame the UNION EMPLOYEES for anything, I blamed the FACT that they are receiving wages not commensurate with what comparable work is generally paid in the private sector- mechanics, body repairmen being paid $20-$30 an hour.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I didn't blame the UNION EMPLOYEES for anything, I blamed the FACT that they are receiving wages not commensurate with what comparable work is generally paid in the private sector- mechanics, body repairmen being paid $20-$30 an hour.

Do you know what jobs these people do for the $75/hr that they are getting...and I mean specifically?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When you break their part time hours down to stretch over what would have been a 40hour week before being ousted by a robot, they make the same as everyone else. If they weren't geting those wages Ontario would have went under in the 80's. Those wages float Ontario and it's service industry. With the majority of parts coming from Mexico and robots doing 80% of assembly there is only one place to point fingers when it comes to the auto industry down fall. Management!

Look into the screw ups by GMAC who was giving all these huge "cash back' on autos and financing just about anything. You can finance a damn near anything through GMAC but we haven't heard one word about that have we.

Look at this entire crisis scam. Who has been blamed and who is footing the bill? How many taxpayers have been bailed out? How many managers have lost their jobs for their loose spending habits and excessive wages and bonuses?

None of these companies will be able to function without the consumer spending.

What has been done to help the consumer who is the true backbone of the economy?

Have you gotten a cheque or a huge tax break to enable you to go spend and keep the economy rolling?

Nope. We just get lied to that inflation is growth and it is good.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Do you know what jobs these people do for the $75/hr that they are getting...and I mean specifically?

All different jobs, they all have buckets of nuts and bolts and the guy installing bumpers has a bushel of bumpers and as the vehicle passes on the assy. line he grabs a couple of nuts and bolts and installs the bumper and he may do that 5 or 10 times in an hour.