Hey, I think Blackberry is going to make it

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have never had a problem with mine...well...save when I drown a new $600.00 phone that was a teary night.

And the last line is ridiculous and sums up his understanding of what can be purchased. So what you are really saying is you have never used one and have no clue about them but you've read something by someone who had an opinion.

When I want to go out and buy such a device, I tend to look at what the experts say about it first before I buy one. As the experts say the BlackBerry is rubbish - and dwindling says of the device are proof of that - I shan't be rushing out soon to buy one.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
When I want to go out and buy such a device, I tend to look at what the experts say about it first before I buy one. As the experts say the BlackBerry is rubbish - and dwindling says of the device are proof of that - I shan't be rushing out soon to buy one.
they were never rubbish and dwindling sales had more to do with reading the market wrong than anything to do with functionality of the product...if you had done your research correctly you would know that

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
they were never rubbish

That's not what many experts and users say.

Blackberry Phones. Utter Pieces Of Crap

Posted on April 2, 2012 by IrishmanAbroad

I have two phones…..one personal and one for work. And the day I got my work phone I groaned. I knew from the very beginning that the new work phone was a piece of crap, and as the months have marched on, my initial seeds of suspicion have grown into great big bushes of discontent and hatred towards a device I would not hesitate to throw into an Amsterdam canal, given half a chance.

I’m not one of these “Apple *****” fanboys either who thinks Steve Jobs was a living God, and to be quite honest, I’m not really enamoured by the way Apple treats its customers telling them what they can and cannot do with their mobile phones and the software apps made available to them for downloading. But what Apple does, and does quite well, is invent a phone that works without any quirks or idiosyncrasies or stupid menus and 50 ****ing steps that need to be followed to do the most simplest of tasks, like change a friends contact details!

The first thing that annoys me is the 10 whole minutes (yes count them!!) I have to wait for this stupid ****ing Blackberry to boot up! Yes folks….if I make the silly error of letting my battery drain completely, it takes 10 minutes for it to boot up before I can use it again.

Actually, that’s a lie, because it takes 20 minutes! If you plug the phone into the power outlet, sure enough after a few seconds of juice, it comes alive and boots up. It’ll then ask you for the phone’s unlock code (not to be confused with the SIM unlock code which you need to actually make and receive a call). So the phone is on, but you cannot call anyone. What do you need to do? Ah, simple….you need to switch the bloody thing off again and wait another 10 minutes for it to reboot, after which THIS time it asks now for the SIM unlock code. Yay….That only took far too ****ing long!

And then there’s the menu system. Try changing a friends email address or phone number, and you’ll find yourself going through an entire rigmarole of menu’s and lists. In fact, if I get a call from somebody who already exists in my address book, but rang from a new number, I cannot simply add this to an already existing contact. No….I first have to “COPY” the number (if I am in the phone dial section) and then go into the address book, find the person and paste the number. It gets even more convoluted if I got an SMS from them. In that section, I can ONLY choose “ADD TO CONTACTS”, then scroll down and “COPY” the number, then go all the way out to the address book and follow the last few steps of pasting into the address book as previously described.

And this carries on throughout the rest of the simplest uses of the phone. For example, I took a view videos with the thing. Now, it does not have any thumbnails for any of the video’s. And when you want to find the video you’re after, you have to scroll through a ****ing stupid archival system that has no logic whatsoever. Sure, you can SORT BY DATE for photo’s, so what the **** can’t you do that with video’s?

And then there is the GPS…..I just hope that you never need your GPS function to work when you’re in a hurry. Honestly, it took the thing 18 minutes the other day to find out where I was. And it had me starting off in Moscow, when I was actually in Amsterdam!!! EVENTUALLY it figured out where I was, but by way of triangulation from the repeater stations, not from the GPS. Eventually the GPS came to life just as I arrived at my friends front door….phew….life saver!

The internet browser is equally clunky and slow, with the need for speed and information never making it to the list of “must haves” or core functionality when RIM’s software designers dreamed up this piece of ****! You want to Google something? Trust me, you’d be better off walking to a library and looking it up in an Encyclopaedia Britannica than waiting for your Blackberry to open up the relevant webpage.

With such stupid user interfaces and slow functionality, it’s no wonder that RIM’s star is waning and that the core users of most Blackberry’s either technology inept middle-aged middle management or kids who live on Twitter and Facebook and IM each other using enormously enlarged thumbs. I can really only think of two useful things for the Blackberry….writing emails to Blackberry much faster than I can on my iPhone about how much their phone sucks….and maybe as a door jam to keep the back door open so my dog can let himself in and out!

My Blackberry Is Not Working! (The One Ronnie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kAG39jKi0lI

COMMENTS

Melissa on April 2, 2012 at 11:06 said:
I wanted to leave a comment on ur website but my blackberry wudnt let me! Agree with all points made brutal.com

Dan on July 11, 2012 at 11:59 said:
I can’t disagree with anything in that.
Both their hardware and software seem to have been designed completely independently of each other so when they’re married up, it’s completely hit and miss as to whether either will work?
I’m now on my 4th, yes FOURTH 9900 (their flagship phone lol) in 3 months as there’s just one thing after another failing with it. I only use it for work too so it’s not like I’m playing around with it.
The customer service is essentially non-existent as they just seem to go through the support page on the website and if that doesn’t work then that’s it, end of support.
In over 20 years of owning all types of phones, the only ones I’ve had trouble with are BlackBerries. The sooner RIM decides to licence the BB mail etc to other companies who can actually make functioning hardware then so much the better.
RIM=Gob****es.

ady on July 12, 2012 at 18:47 said:
There helpdesk is a joke. 30minutes to some lass in latin america and still not resolved email problem. I gave up in the end. Never having Blackberry again

Jon on November 13, 2012 at 22:05 said:
Im getting so dam annoyed with my blackberry. every single day when i try to go on the internet it just wont load up and sends me to the black internet screen with a list and then it wont go online at all. So im forever having to take the battery out and reset it and then like you said wait 10 mins for it to boot up. ill never get one again. They are ****

Zohrab on November 18, 2012 at 13:49 said:
Same here. Really crap phone! I am wonder, how it could happen? After installation of new version (Bold 9780) in application list ( desktop manager) it shows me Browser required, Core Application required…ok, if required there is nothing to add or remove buttons but still shows blur letters, required. F…, how integrated browser could crash?? I tell you what.. Facebook application same ****. and so many many..application world is a greatest cheat portal. 2 years i have being searching just for flashlight..incredible! it says free, but after installation it asks get f…. PRO. Actually the matter is not the cents they sell it for but it has it is own LED , why RIM think that i have to pay something extra? free it means free for me. I really crashed my head against a wall with this f… device. Don’t buy it, never ever… even simple samsung galaxy is better ..graphic is not as BB but millions of free features and really free. Or iPhone, whatever but not that crap!

Grant on May 20, 2013 at 14:51 said:
There’s a reason that Android has almost 75% market share. I just turned it on and it works. I have a Google Nexus 4 and its the best phone I’ve yet had. I would recommend an Android phone. I wouldn’t give Apple my money since they’re just arrogant, but their hardware and software are good.

James on February 16, 2014 at 20:49 said:
Blackberry is ****. I have had mobile phones since the pioneering days of motorola bricks and such like so have seen plenty of changes. I think the annoying thing about blackberry is that it was aimed at serious business users but has failed on so many levels. I’m not interested in facebook or twitter but I fo want a good business communication tool.
The problem with Blackberries is their utter unreliability. For example. One day my phone could be used as a hotspot for wifi, next day it stopped working and couldn’t be restored. One da y I could sync my contacts with google, next day I couldn’t. One day it would ring 5 or 6 times now it only rings 3 times before going onto voicemail and I cannot make it ring longer.
I could write a huge list but I can’t be bothered anymore. Worst phone I have owned in over 25 years and that takes some beating. Well done RIM.

bb sux on May 2, 2014 at 20:34 said:
Yes blackberry sux so bad!!

John ti on May 12, 2014 at 20:33 said:
Love your script. Agree completely. Complete mystery to me how bob have ever sold any handsets. They are truly dreadful. Other handsets available are not just passable, they just work! It’s not difficult just a half way decent product. I wouldn’t touch this company if I had a choice. I just hope my work catches up soon.

John McCormack on May 15, 2014 at 07:10 said:
Blackberry died the other day,wouldn’t take a charge,had about 15 mins to transfer all contacts to sim card and only got roughly 15% transferred before that piece of **** died.Contacts lost forever.How in the name of God is it so difficult that you have to transfer them one by one??Never again.Fired it in the bin.Good riddance.

Blackberry Phones. Utter Pieces Of Crap | IrishmanAbroad.com

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's not what many experts and users say.
that is all that the business community used for a few decades because they were the best...no one had the know how or the technology that they developed...the BB pin system still can not be cracked...no one has that technology but them and they did not give it up when pressured by the world due to terrorism...serious businesses use the BB because the iPhone is fluff for the masses

as it should be...as in any market, change happens

they catered only to the business crowd, the iphone catered to the masses...the masses bought

even China cashed in on the BB technology...it was called the redberry

they did not respond to the mass demand and they lost what could have been the full market share now they are scrabbling to rebound...in reality they will never hold that market again unless they can rocket forward and grab onto something yet unseen...and that is always possible...they still have a great techie base but they lost many of them when they downsized...

the company won't die it will just change direction and produce iphone fluff like everyone else

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The hell with Microsoft windows!!! You want to talk rubbish, now that's some real rubbish

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Just got alert that Samsung is looking to swallow up Blackberry. So maybe some if it will survive.

These deals usually end up buying companies for their technology.

Blackberries were very good business devices for a long time, until recently when they either couldn't keep up with the technology or someone, somewhere made some very bad decisions in that company.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
These deals usually end up buying companies for their technology.

Blackberries were very good business devices for a long time, until recently when they either couldn't keep up with the technology or someone, somewhere made some very bad decisions in that company.

I am sure they want only parts of it. Samsung is trying to target the business market. By aquiring their chief competition in this area, it works for them. I am sure some people and patents are also worth something. I expect the rest to be auctioned off and closed down.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
BlackBerry settles patent dispute with Ryan Seacrest's Typo
Reuters
First posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 09:58 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, June 01, 2015 10:00 AM EDT
TORONTO - BlackBerry Ltd and television host Ryan Seacrest's keyboard company Typo Products have agreed to settle a patent dispute over the sale of smartphone keyboards of a certain size, the Canadian smartphone maker said on Monday.
Under the terms of the settlement, Typo will stop selling keyboards for smartphones and other devices with screens smaller than 7.9 inches, BlackBerry said. It can continue selling keyboards for larger devices.
In February, a U.S. district court sanctioned Typo, co-founded by "American Idol" host Seacrest, for violating an injunction that barred it from selling a $99 iPhone keyboard case that BlackBerry said infringed its patents.
Physical keyboards have remained a key selling point for BlackBerry, loved by many of the company's most loyal fans, as it loses market share to Apple's iPhone and phones that run on Google's Android operating system, which typically have touchscreen keyboards.
BlackBerry settles patent dispute with Ryan Seacrest's Typo | Money | Toronto Su

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
BlackBerry to stop making its signature smartphones, work to be outsourced
Aleksandra Sagan, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 08:14 AM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:41 AM EDT
WATERLOO, Ont. — BlackBerry will stop making its signature smartphones, the company said Wednesday after facing repeated calls to leave the hardware business that was once the basis of its reputation as a global technology leader.
All hardware development and manufacturing will be outsourced to partners, which will license the BlackBerry’s technology and brand, while the Canadian company concentrates on growing the software side of its business.
“We have decided to discontinue all the handset hardware development, only hardware,” said BlackBerry chairman and CEO John Chen in a conference call with analysts.
“We believe that this is the best way to drive profitability in the device business,” he said.
This strategy already exists to some extent for the Waterloo, Ont.-based company.
Chen said one or two products are already made by partners but BlackBerry has also been developing its own smartphone.
The outsourcing of all remaining hardware development — to be complete by Feb. 28, when the company’s financial year ends — will reduce BlackBerry’s expenses by eliminating the need to carry inventory, as well as reducing staff and equipment costs, he said.
“It’s a long list of savings,” Chen said.
BlackBerry has struggled to sell its once popular smartphones — which originally featured a distinctive keypad and the company’s own operating system.
It recently released handsets using versions of the Android operating system, the Priv and the lower-priced DTEK50 that began shipping in August.
During the company’s second quarter ended Aug. 31, it sold about 400,000 smartphones, including the DTEK50, for an average price of $271, Chen said.
Under the new plan to outsource the work, BlackBerry will start to report its hardware revenue based on royalties it receives from licensing agreements with its partners, Chen said.
It announced Wednesday that it signed its first major device software licensing agreement with a telecom joint venture in Indonesia.
The BB Merah Putih joint venture will manufacture, distribute and promote BlackBerry-branded devices running the company’s secure versions of Android software and applications for the Indonesian market. BlackBerry has the option to distribute these devices outside of Indonesia, but is not likely to do so, Chen said.
BlackBerry, which reports its results in U.S. dollars, says it had a $372 million net loss in the three months ended Aug. 31, equivalent to 71 cents per share, but broke even after excluding certain items.
Revenue was $334 million or $352 million after adjustments. That was below analyst estimates of $391.75 million.
Chen had said at the previous quarterly earnings release that he expected the company’s mobility solutions segment, which includes hardware and a mobility software licensing service, to break even or record a slight profit in this financial year.
BlackBerry to stop making its signature smartphones, work to be outsourced | New

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
A very good quarter. Stock is up a lot recently and is jumping today.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
As soon as the totally illogical bond buying buy an "unknown major player" stops Walter, the market WILL crash as it should have a while back before quantitative easing was started.

That's the facts .

Having said that, I really like my outdated little 32 gig playbook which I bought new for $50.
;)
Tax in.