Hearing begins for U.S. polygamist sect leader with B.C. ties

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
british columbia news
Email this page Print this page Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006
Hearing begins for U.S. polygamist sect leader with B.C. ties

(CBC) - The leader of a controversial polygamist sect, which includes the tiny B.C. community of Bountiful, is in a Utah court Tuesday, as prosecutors try to convince a judge that he should go on trial as an alleged accomplice to rape.
Warren Jeffs, the leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is accused of arranging the marriage of a 14-year-old girl to an older man in 2001. The young woman, who is now 20, testified that Jeffs forced her to marry a man five years older then her.
She said she told Jeffs that she did not want to marry the man, who is also her first cousin. She also told the court that she didn't even know what sexual intercourse was at the time, or where babies come from.

The woman said Jeffs ignored her concerns and told her to be a good obedient girl, and that it was God's will and "The Prophet's" will that she marry the man.

http://tinyurl.com/yn8jxl

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
He is one disturbed individual, I hope he receives a long prison sentence for his actions.

Why haven't the RCMP investigated this cult sect in Bountiful?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This place, "Bountiful", has been there for a long time.. There have been a few stories over the years about children being given in marriage to older spouses. I've always thought the place should be cleaned out and the inmates sent back accross the line or wherever they came from. I think one of the reasons for the inaction, is that there are people from both sides of the border all the screaming and gnashing of teeth that would occur if we tried to separate them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This place, "Bountiful", has been there for a long time.. There have been a few stories over the years about children being given in marriage to older spouses. I've always thought the place should be cleaned out and the inmates sent back accross the line or wherever they came from. I think one of the reasons for the inaction, is that there are people from both sides of the border all the screaming and gnashing of teeth that would occur if we tried to separate them.

http://tinyurl.com/779px