Harper says `major' changes coming to pension system

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As for the science and technology side of things, I could see combining that with First Nations' education. For example, some kind of 5-15 programme providing sufficient funding for FN children between the ages of 5 and fifteen to get year-round education would certainly boost their knowledge in various fields that could be useful to Canada, also giving them a headstart in science and technology should they choose to go on to university or college later.

A world currency? Backed by what?

Learn from the European experience. Clearly it would need to have very stringent rules regarding national debt acquirements. But it does have its advantages in a world economy.

By the way, what's the Canadian dollar backed by?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I wonder if people will just take the hit and retire early anyway.

I don't really want to work longer than 60 if I could.

Invest wisely and you could retire much sooner than that. I have no intentions of retiring until at least 70 and hopefully later than that regardless of how much money I have stashed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
As for the science and technology side of things, I could see combining that with First Nations' education. For example, some kind of 5-15 programme providing sufficient funding for FN children between the ages of 5 and fifteen to get year-round education would certainly boost their knowledge in various fields that could be useful to Canada, also giving them a headstart in science and technology should they choose to go on to university or college later.

Learn from the European experience.
By the way, what's the Canadian dollar backed by?
Learn from the EU? Sure. I've learned that Germany is footing the bill for loser states who became part of the EU for geo-political reasons and have nothing to offer in natural or human resources.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Assuming TV producers are useful.

Learn how not to do it you mean?

Not necessarily. Had we abandoned all initial failed attempts at improvements, we'd still be in the dark ages.

Learn from the EU? Sure. I've learned that Germany is footing the bill for loser states who became part of the EU for geo-political reasons and have nothing to offer in natural or human resources.

They can potentially contribute. Think of the Marshall Plan. After WWII no European nation was particularly productive. Had we abandoned them, they'd probably have fallen to communism. The US helped them to develop a market. When other countries are wealthy, so will we be.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Somehow, I'm thinking the building and planning department is in need of kissing a wrecking ball.

Bet we don't start with MP pensions ;-)

As much as these parasites yack about austerity belt tightening and leadership it is a fact that the wet weight of all the members has increased at least 27% in the last six years, we can digitally verify that by analyzing CBC parliamentry clips. Their fattening up just fine while they sell lean to the rest of the nation. Hey I want to see scientific evidence of their weight reduction, this year, next six months, or they're sentenced to the fat farm. This is without doubt the heaviest parliament ever to sprawl in those seats. We have to cover structural damage as well. With leadership like that this country is doomed.

" What is the Canadian dollar backed by?" 75% american dollar which is owned by the Chinese. I suppose we will have to sell more trees and rocks, fish, polar bears, you know stuff you can eat. IMO

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
So a world currency would be backed by a world economy, right?
No. The same problem would occur with a world currency as is happening with the Euro; one economy, Germany's, is propping up the whole EU. Until all cultures are the same the idea of one global currency should be put to rest.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
We don't need the government to provide us with a pension. They give us all the tools we need to provide us to look after ourselves ie RRSP, CPP, TFSA plus company pensions. OAS is just a waste of taxpayer money.. Can it !!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
No. The same problem would occur with a world currency as is happening with the Euro; one economy, Germany's, is propping up the whole EU. Until all cultures are the same the idea of one global currency should be put to rest.

Well that's about to be decided by the war which seems to have swelled to global proportions, the fuse is getting short. Republicans want the single currency Walter. How come you're a republican? You sound like Ron Paul. I think that's cool.

We don't need the government to provide us with a pension. They give us all the tools we need to provide us to look after ourselves ie RRSP, CPP, TFSA plus company pensions. OAS is just a waste of taxpayer money.. Can it !!

Because of our poor educations some of us didn't know we would get old. We blame the gobernment.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Because of our poor educations some of us didn't know we would get old. We blame the gobernment.
Well I'm not sure how much we should blame our education system for this, still sounds a bit like we're blaming the Gov. for something we have to take responsibility for.
But the education system does have some responsibility, but we have responsibility for our Ed system,,,,bit of revolving door!!!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Well I'm not sure how much we should blame our education system for this, still sounds a bit like we're blaming the Gov. for something we have to take responsibility for.
But the education system does have some responsibility, but we have responsibility for our Ed system,,,,bit of revolving door!!!

I agree with you. But first comes the responsibility for government. That's the actual work we have not done and it leads to every other problem. It is the revolving door for sure. Has government really worked on the same problems for decades or has government simply managed them for the private sector? Western government is infested with private sector wannabees and the competence to run soverign nations has been replaced by corporate servants. It's a very old story by now and but our education makes it a surprise for every new generation of bank slaves.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Well we need a strong private sector to creat jobs and generate wealth for the country. Governments can never do this.
If we have a strong economy and people that are responsible for their own actions, we'll have a great country..

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Well we need a strong private sector to creat jobs and generate wealth for the country. Governments can never do this.
If we have a strong economy and people that are responsible for their own actions, we'll have a great country..

What constitutes the private sector? Without strict defining regulation and enforcement we have monopoly, todays problem. Multinationals are wreakers of local economies. I don't disagree with you very much at all. The demand and supply of jobs is controlled by huge international banks. If we don't break them nothing good will ever happen again on this planet.

Education rules. Knowledge is power.