Harper government refuses to release secret report on pensions

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The problem is, what about the people who do need the money?

Not a problem, to be eligible your income has to be less than a certain amount. I'd rather see the money going towards people in long waiting lists, getting needed surgery than the likes of Harper and Mulcair adding to their largess. :lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not a problem, to be eligible your income has to be less than a certain amount. I'd rather see the money going towards people in long waiting lists, getting needed surgery than the likes of Harper and Mulcair adding to their largess. :lol:

I don't disagree. Which would lend itself more towards lowering the clawback threshold than increasing the age at which one can apply, which is, I believe, the direction it's going in.

Sigh, is it too late to find a sugar daddy? LOL.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Aside from the secretive EI reforms, perhaps the most explosive element in Bill C-38 has been the government’s plan to raise the age of eligibility for Old Age Security to 67 from 65 beginning in 2023.

Touching as it does on the social safety net and coming without any advance warning from the Conservatives in last year’s election, Harper’s OAS surprise has prompted an angry backlash among seniors.

Internal polling by CARP, the seniors’ group, found its members favouring the NDP over the Conservatives for the first time ever.

Explaining the impact of the OAS changes, pollster Nik Nanos says seniors are much more worried about being able to pay their bills than they were in years past. Upsetting older Canadians is a risky move, Nanos adds.
“I think this could absolutely light the fuse,” he told CBC-TV. “Voter turnout for seniors is 80 per cent. For young Canadians, it’s 50 per cent. So seniors, they punch above their weight. They’re more organized.

“But what’s critically important for this particular government is that the Conservative coalition majority is really founded on seniors — seniors who are concerned about economic and fiscal issues and want stability,” Nanos observed. “And when the Conservatives start to engage on issues that affect their day-to-day lives, it can be trouble.”
Canada News: Federal Budget 2012: Opposition to budget bill galvanizing

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In relative terms when compared to other nations our population may not be directly dropping but population growth is no where near what it should be.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In relative terms when compared to other nations our population may not be directly dropping but population growth is no where near what it should be.

To have natural population growth every couple needs to produce approx. 2.5 offspring on average. What did you have in mind for what it "should be"?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't disagree. Which would lend itself more towards lowering the clawback threshold than increasing the age at which one can apply, which is, I believe, the direction it's going in.

Sigh, is it too late to find a sugar daddy? LOL.

Not for you

OK it might be a sugar granddaddy but inheritance time will be closer that way.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Big deal. Name a gov't we've had that hasn't kept secrets and dodged around requests for info.
Canadians seem to love it because we keep voting in the same goofy dopes from the same two asshat parties ad infinitum.

I should have been more specific; the birth rate is flat, hence the need for an immigration policy to bump numbers

Births, estimates, by province and territory
Yeah, gawd forbid the population of Canada stops growing. Personally, I'm more into stability than growth.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Big deal. Name a gov't we've had that hasn't kept secrets and dodged around requests for info.
Canadians seem to love it because we keep voting in the same goofy dopes from the same two asshat parties ad infinitum.

To believe that every activity a gov't is involved in should be public knowledge is just plain naive. When you do route corridor assessments for new highways, it would be downright stupid and counterproductive to advise the public on details. All you need to say is "we are evaluating several routes and before we settle on a route that directly affects you we will be looking for feed back from you".

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
To believe that every activity a gov't is involved in should be public knowledge is just plain naive.
So you are saying that you disagree with me?
When you do route corridor assessments for new highways, it would be downright stupid and counterproductive to advise the public on details. All you need to say is "we are evaluating several routes and before we settle on a route that directly affects you we will be looking for feed back from you".
Yeah, I don't need details of them if some, all, or any of the details will affect me. I'll just give blind feedback. lol
Either way, I can still move or put up a fight whichever the case may require.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm willing to bet that even after the bluster and bulshyte coming from the opposition, should either the NDP or the Libs come to power before 2023, they will repeal this law the same way (I spit on the GST) Cretin repealed the GST:smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm willing to bet that even after the bluster and bulshyte coming from the opposition, should either the NDP or the Libs come to power before 2023, they will repeal this law the same way (I spit on the GST) Cretin repealed the GST:smile:

Nobody in the world knows what they will doing or what will be happening in 2023. The best you can do is have a few rough drafts prepared to be fine tuned to handle any forseeable circumstances.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
To believe that every activity a gov't is involved in should be public knowledge is just plain naive. When you do route corridor assessments for new highways, it would be downright stupid and counterproductive to advise the public on details. All you need to say is "we are evaluating several routes and before we settle on a route that directly affects you we will be looking for feed back from you".

What about flying phil?