Harper Government Muzzling Scientists

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No they weren't. That's how folks like you roll. When you disagree with someones ideology you go for the lowest common denominator in the argument. In Harpers case its the fact that he is a Christian. Now if you were to attack a politician in this manner who was a Hindu or a Muslim (which I am guessing you wouldn't dare) you would be branded intolerant or even racist.

The fact that Harper has yet to use his Christian religion in governing matters not to you, because with Christians intolerance is quite acceptable because they generally don't haul you int of an HRC or throw out the intolerance card.

That's the awesome double standard.

Same thing with the Nazi comment.

When you sink to this level in the debate you look like the other kind of zealot. The uneducated ignoramus who can't muster an argument so instead calls people Nazi's or Bible Thumpers.

As I said before you look like an angry zealot who brings nothing to the table but intolerance and ignorance.

But don't take me seriously, I'm just injecting a bit of humor to spice up your Dutch Tiller comment. :)
Lowest common denominator? Very well put.

The thing that tends to ticks me off the most is that any actual criticism ends up getting lost in the minutiae of "Nazi/Commi (etc)" blame game that just goes round and round. And it never ends, it's just arguing for the sake of arguing! What's the friggin point?

The government should be critiqued, not because they're conservatives or because Harper is the PM, but because it's the government! Accountability anyone? By reducing the talking points to the level of schoolyard taunting all that ends up happening is that any true discussion, debate and legitimate criticism is stifled. It is very difficult, actually impossible, to garner any sort of respect of an opposing point of view when that opposing viewpoint offers no respect to begin with.

And, in the interest of fairness, I've seen the same type of thing espoused by the other side of the ideological equation, although not to as great a degree. But I don't necessarily believe it's because those who are more conservative leaning in their political beliefs are any more mature by nature, I think it's simply because we currently have a conservative government.

Sorry for the Saturday morning rant but you're comments just echoed so many of the thoughts I've had as I read through many of the threads on this forum.

:)

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Nazi comment?

That's the way "you people" roll, ain't it?

Well CDNBear did start a Nazi for a day push-back when the election was on because of all the stupid Harper is a Nazi comments, but then that was to illustrate how ridiculous people were acting.

I'm not a religious person Lone Wolf, but I do find the standards for criticizing leaders based on their faith rather laughable.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The paper is already published...they are controlling the media access to the expert. Most probably don't understand the highly technical jargon of a molecular biologist.

I'm thinking that not only most of the media won't understand the jargon but few of the people that think they have a stake in this will understand if sufficiently to be able to use the data correctly with the result that the media will have a field day with miss quotes and half truths from all sides.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well CDNBear did start a Nazi for a day push-back when the election was on because of all the stupid Harper is a Nazi comments, but then that was to illustrate how ridiculous people were acting.

I'm not a religious person Lone Wolf, but I do find the standards for criticizing leaders based on their faith rather laughable.
I sort of find the lines between religious affiliation and political stripe blurred by the rhetoric....