Harper drops Cadman defamation suit against Liberals

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
I think that some of the reasons that Mr. Harper dropped the law suit is because he knows economics. The Liberals are bankrupt, and it makes no sense that the Conservatives should pursue the Liberal party, knowing full well that if you did win, you could not collect a dime. Also, the conservatives have bigger fish to fry that some Liberal who made a statement that to this day, has not killed anyone.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It's more likely that both sides realized that in the end, no one gains from being dragged through the courts. It would have made everyone (Liberals, Conservatives, and Cadmans) look bad, no matter what the literal truth turned out to be.

how would it have made the Liberals "look bad" prior to them agreeing to let Harper off the hook?

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
The Conservatives filed a lawsuit because they said they had justifiable reason to. One that would be proven in a court of law. If they didn't intend to win, they are either filing frivolous suits and abusing the system, or it is just a sign that their case was weak. In fact, their own experts said that the tape wasn't doctored. Then they shopped for new experts if I remember correctly.

That was very early on so really the only speculation here is whether they tried to stall the case long enough until the election was over. In that sense, it did serve a purpose. That being not for any sense of justice, but to abuse our judicial system for politics. Basically while the issue is tied up in court, no party can then comment on it. I'm sure many of you are fine with that as you don't care what methods this PM resorts to in order to gain.

The other laughable thing is that some of you still defend this PM like his word counts for something. This is a Prime Minister that has been shown not hold himself to the truth. If he can tell us things that aren't true that is detrimental to the economic state of our country with dire consequences for Canadians, then what makes you think he'll tell us 'truth' that will implicate him in the illegal bribing of a sitting MP?

So far it looks like whatever we've been told by this government regarding a myriad of issues hasn't been honest. So I really don't think the PM's honesty factors into the picture.

Regarding the Cadman issue, Harper is on tape with his own words talking about financial considerations. Cadman's wife is the one that stated her husband was offered the life insurance. She is now keeping shut and runs as a Conservative MP and if you think that being married to a person of integrity makes you a person of integrity by default then tell me now so I don't waste anymore of my time preaching to the choir.

All the other guesses, and that is what they are, 'guesses', are of the value of a kid putting their fallen teeth under a pillow in the hopes of believing the fairy tales he or she is told by the guy who puts the coin underneath. For that is what we basically see these days. Money buying a consensus of opinion held as though it were somehow the honest picture, and the Conservative Party has a lot of money right now to buy the message.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
I would really think a criminal investigation is in order. However that is only because I believe in accountability. It would also mean that our judicial system would be required to work (for us). It would also mean that Canadians deserve transparency from their government. It would also mean that we could expect the truth out of our government. It also means that this government would be required to follow through with what they had actually campaigned on that initially allowed them to obtain the position of government in the first place. Unless what the Conservatives campaigned on was just all hot air as a means to manipulate our trust and our vote.

I have to say however, I think this matter is serious enough for the need of those answers to be revealed to us voters. They have their positions because of us, and their duty is to us. We have to know whether our Prime Minister has done something criminal if the question of criminal behavior remains.

globeandmail.com: PM dropped Cadman suit ahead of key hearing

PM dropped Cadman suit ahead of key hearing

TIM NAUMETZ

The Canadian Press

February 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM EST

OTTAWA — Stephen Harper dropped his lawsuit against the Liberals in the Cadman affair just weeks before a hearing on whether his emails, notes and agenda could be called into evidence.

A court date was to be scheduled this month over the failure of the Prime Minister's legal team to provide documents and answers to questions that had been requested during a series of cross-examinations last summer.

The lawyer for the Liberal party was set to ask the court to rule whether Mr. Harper would have to provide emails and notes for meetings his staff held related to Chuck Cadman.

Hearings were expected to begin this month over Mr. Harper's failure to have his lawyers respond to Mr. Paliare's request for documents and information from the prime minister's office.

In a series of cross-examinations last summer, Mr. Paliare requested copies of Mr. Harper's agenda for the day he was interviewed by B.C. journalist Tom Zytaruk, who reported the life-insurance allegations in a biography of Cadman.

Mr. Paliare had also asked for copies of Mr. Cadman's journals and diaries for the period of time during which the financial inducement allegedly took place.

Harper lawyer Richard Dearden abruptly quit last November, to be replaced by Toronto lawyer David Wingfield, after the initial stages of the Liberal efforts to obtain the documents and information began.

Mr. Dearden gave no explanation for his departure, and court notices of the lawyer swap do not indicate whether it was at Mr. Harper's wish or Mr. Dearden's.

Mr. Harper's lawsuit prevented the Liberals from exploiting the allegations during the federal election last fall.

Tom Conway, a prominent Ottawa lawyer who represented a former Tory member who sued Mr. Harper, said the looming court fight over access to emails and notes may have been behind the Prime Minister's decision to abandon the lawsuit.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
"Harper drops Cadman defamation suit against Liberals"

Good job Stephen! Sometimes, someone just needs to step forward and be the bigger man, and I'm sure that's what your intentions were.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
You kidding right? This is you being facetious? Like he was the bigger man for filing such a suit to begin with? No. I'm sure you must be joking because that kind of spin would be hilarious.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
You kidding right? This is you being facetious? Like he was the bigger man for filing such a suit to begin with? No. I'm sure you must be joking because that kind of spin would be hilarious.

No, no, I'm quite serious...you know how it goes..., the Cons and the Libs are at each other as alwayz, so the Cons file a defamation suit over the Cadman allegation. Then the Liberal Party sells its soul with the NDP in is unholy alliance with Bloc, threatening to form a coalition government that will bring down the Cons.

So then Stevieboy says:

"Well, maybe we should just end this now, its tough economic times after all. We should be concentrating on the economy and how we're gonna soften the blow for the good Canadian people, instead of this usual endless bickering which is seemingly alwayz started by the Libs. Nevertheless, I, Stevie, will be the bigger man and drop that defamation lawsuit, and show those knuckleheads, God bless 'em, that we're willing to work with 'em, and do what's best for our country."

The Liberal Party really should be grateful. They're not qualified to hold a candle to Stevie's shadow, let alone run the country. Stevie's pretty classy and gracious to apprantly forgive the attempted coup, and allow the Libs treasonic actions go by the way side...

Thank you for concentrating on what's important and helping us through this rough patch, Mr. Prime Minister!

Last edited:

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
If that is bait for a believer -a Harper one that is, then excuse me while I find myself a seat with a good view as I wait all expectantly like a kid on Christmas for the first one to take it.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
If that is bait for a believer -a Harper one that is, then excuse me while I find myself a seat with a good view as I wait all expectantly like a kid on Christmas for the first one to take it.

Why would I bait a Harper believer? It would be nearly impossible anyway, to trick a Conservative in some way that is, they're a sharp crowd that bunch.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

PM dropped Cadman suit ahead of key hearing

TIM NAUMETZ
The Canadian Press
February 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM EST

OTTAWA — Stephen Harper dropped his lawsuit against the Liberals in the Cadman affair just weeks before a hearing on whether his emails, notes and agenda could be called into evidence.
A court date was to be scheduled this month over the failure of the Prime Minister's legal team to provide documents and answers to questions that had been requested during a series of cross-examinations last summer.
The lawyer for the Liberal party was set to ask the court to rule whether Mr. Harper would have to provide emails and notes for meetings his staff held related to Chuck Cadman.
The matter involves allegations that the Conservatives offered a financial inducement to Mr. Cadman, an Independent MP, while trying to defeat the minority Liberal government in 2005. The Tories deny the charge.
The Prime Minister dropped his $3.5-million defamation lawsuit on Friday after reaching a deal with the Liberals.
Sources say the Liberal party is not obligated to pay any damages or apologize for claims on its website that Mr. Harper was aware Tory officials offered Mr. Cadman — who was dying — a $1-million insurance policy if he sided with them in a Commons budget vote.
Despite the refusal of either side to comment about their agreement to dismiss the case, records show a legal fight was brewing over the documents and other information Liberal lawyer Chris Paliare had requested.
Hearings were expected to begin this month over Mr. Harper's failure to have his lawyers respond to Mr. Paliare's request for documents and information from the prime minister's office.
In a series of cross-examinations last summer, Mr. Paliare requested copies of Mr. Harper's agenda for the day he was interviewed by B.C. journalist Tom Zytaruk, who reported the life-insurance allegations in a biography of Cadman.
Mr. Paliare had also asked for copies of Mr. Cadman's journals and diaries for the period of time during which the financial inducement allegedly took place.
Harper lawyer Richard Dearden abruptly quit last November, to be replaced by Toronto lawyer David Wingfield, after the initial stages of the Liberal efforts to obtain the documents and information began.
Mr. Dearden gave no explanation for his departure, and court notices of the lawyer swap do not indicate whether it was at Mr. Harper's wish or Mr. Dearden's.
During the examination of Mr. Harper last August, Mr. Dearden objected to Mr. Paliare's request for an email said to discuss a meeting between Cadman and two Conservatives the day of the confidence vote in 2005.
Other documents Mr. Paliare requested during his cross-examination of Mr. Harper included the notes of “all the people” who attended meetings in the prime minister's office in late February when the allegations were first reported.
Mr. Harper's lawsuit prevented the Liberals from exploiting the allegations during the federal election last fall.
Tom Conway, a prominent Ottawa lawyer who represented a former Tory member who sued Mr. Harper, said the looming court fight over access to emails and notes may have been behind the Prime Minister's decision to abandon the lawsuit.
“People drop lawsuits for all sorts of reason and sometimes they drop lawsuits because they are being asked to produce information they don't want to produce,” said Mr. Conway, a member of the board of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
The NDP is calling on both parties to disclose the terms of their deal.
“Now it just sort of disappears from the radar because of this closed-door agreement?” said Vancouver MP Bill Siksay. “I don't think that's acceptable.”
I think Harper pulled out of that law suit just before it bit him in the ass.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
We don't need anyone to take the bait. Harper did himself. He must have read your post alleywayzalwayz and went with something very similar.

He now says that the reason he dropped the suit is because Dion in no longer the leader. Aside from this reasoning being amoral, given that such would have have been a vindictive abuse of the court system, the thing is his lawsuit was filed against the Liberal Party with Ignatieff named as one of the people being sued.

Somebody needs to tell Harper that sometimes 'no answer' is better than a very very poor one. This excuse is one of those types a kid tries to pass off after they've been caught.

Though I'll admit it's slightly better than Harper telling us his dog ate his emails.

globeandmail.com: No Dion, no Cadman suit, Harper says

No Dion, no Cadman suit, Harper says

DANIEL LEBLANC

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

February 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM EST

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Wednesday he dropped his libel lawsuit against the Liberals only because Stéphane Dion is no longer party leader, and not because he has anything to hide in the Chuck Cadman affair.

Last year, Mr. Moore said the Liberal allegations were based on a tape that was “doctored” and “edited.”

According to a subsequent analysis by a sound expert hired by the Conservatives, the micro-cassette of the interview was not altered, except for an over-recording that started after any contentious statement.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

I think Harper pulled out of that law suit just before it bit him in the ass.

Then why did the Liberals let him off the hook by agreeing not to talk about it??????

I can see why Harper would want to end all discussion of the matter now, as he would not want it to be an issue in a possible new election......but for the life of me, if the Libs are above board, why are they letting him off the hook?

In fact, why are they helping him get off the hook?

Why have the Libs agreed to shut up?

I don't get it.

I don't know what to make of this one.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Then why did the Liberals let him off the hook by agreeing not to talk about it??????

I can see why Harper would want to end all discussion of the matter now, as he would not want it to be an issue in a possible new election......but for the life of me, if the Libs are above board, why are they letting him off the hook?

I don't get it.

I don't think this one is over but I could be wrong.

Personally I think the Liberals might approach this again from a different angle. The fact the NDP are asking for an RCMP investigation into this could push it back into the court system anyway.

Or it could well be the RCMP are already into an investigation and have asked the Liberals to back off..

Two very key things here..

First Harper was NOT Prime Minister when this happened and he is not protected by any Prime Minister priviledges.

Second he is now and it must be dealth with very carefully as to not show any prejudice while he is in Power until such time as evidence can prove otherwise. only then can the RCMP even dare admit to an investigation on the Prime Minister at all.

ParsonManning

Time Out
Feb 11, 2009
Harper backed away from this because his schedule, his journal, and his appointment book was about to be ordered to be submitted for Court review - it is worth understanding that the Cadman issue was not something fabricated by the Liberals, it was something initiated by the Conservatives...it was Reform members who visited Cadman not any Liberals.

The entire issue is smelly and it smells like Harper.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The question is why did both sides drop this if the Liberals would have won and Harper lost?

There is so much more to this that people need to know as many laws of extreme seriousness would have been broken.. If both wash their hands of this both will be guilty of not following thru..

CTV.ca | Harper drops Cadman defamation suit against Liberals

Maybe in the great scheme of things, this isn't really all that important when considering all the other issues, not to mention the fact that one of the key subjects is dead. Sometimes things have to be dropped so they are not clouding up current issues. In a battle between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb, do most of us really care who wins?

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario

I don't get it.

Could be because the Liberals can't afford to defend themselves in this lawsuit (they need the money to rebuild) and because the the whole thing didn't change anyone's opinion on either of the parties. Those that thought this whole thing was a waste of time, and a Liberal lie, still do. Those that think Harper is a corrupt piece of human waste still do. What's the point of keeping it going?

Simple fact is while I DO think this should be investigated, the vast majority of Canadians don't seem to care.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is sort of like Robin Hood vs. Jesse James? Is either one of them 100% innocent, is either one better than the other?