Harper calls off summit

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mikey

You write as if Canada is limping around blindly waiting for the U.S. to lead it into perdition.

Is Canada not an independent nation of its own making?

At the outset of this topic someone said Canada "upset" Europe - now you write as if Canada does not want to "upset" the U.S.

This is ridiculous talk - you speak as if Canada has no thoughts of its own.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Would you agree that a pervasive element involved throughout virtually every discussion that takes place with respect to for instance Canadian participation in the Afghanistan "mission"... can be discussed without considering the actions that governments took (legislation passed) in response to 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq? Isn't the question of "Where is Canada on the issue of erecting a balistic missile defense shield....where Canada is in financing its border security....where Canada is in signing or not signing Kyoto....where Canada is on environmental responsibilities intimately involved with protecting the profitable trade ties between Canada and the Untied States?

We're all in this boat together Curiosity...I wish it were different but unless I'm mistaken you can no more separate what's been happening across the political spectrum between Canada and the United States any more than you could put Sheppard casters under Canada a wheel it away from the United States...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mikey

You write as if you think the U.S. cares where Canada "is".

The U.S. Government will plow along with or without Canada. It is Canada's decision. Stop being so shrill like an injured wife and get on with the business of being an independent nation standing on your own.

Enough of this backbiting - if it is so serious - I suggest Canada sever its ties and get on with its own business - disassociating with the U.S. entirely and make it known to whatever other nations they wish
to work with in an equal partnership.

Canada needs to get on with its own responsibilities. Perhaps you don't realize it but is exhausting and non-productive being held up as the bad guy in the affairs of the Canadians. Time to move along and
do what is best for Canada.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Fine and does that include having American industry mind its own business when it comes to softwood lumber or BSE or commodifying fresh water or protecting watersheds from contamination by Americans or from patrolling our internationally shared bodies of water with light machine guns mounted on USCG patrol boats, or paying Canadian taxpayers back the money the behaviour of America has cost Canadians over the lies of a "necessary" invasion or return our dead servicemen to their families?

If you're suggesting that America should mind its own damn business and stop pretending to occupy the moral high ground and behave like the "World Cop" then yes we agree.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Fine and does that include having American industry mind its own business when it comes to softwood lumber or BSE or commodifying fresh water or protecting watersheds from contamination by Americans or from patrolling our internationally shared bodies of water with light machine guns mounted on USCG patrol boats, or paying Canadian taxpayers back the money the behaviour of America has cost Canadians over the lies of a "necessary" invasion or return our dead servicemen to their families?

If you're suggesting that America should mind its own damn business and stop pretending to occupy the moral high ground and behave like the "World Cop" then yes we agree.

LOL MikeyDB - you did not disappoint....I am merely suggesting Canada get on with its own business.

I had written down almost word for word your response.... "he's gonna bring up...."
(1) Softwood lumber; (2) Mad Cows; (3) Sending troops to Afghanistan....

Can't be helped your government sent military as a "peacekeeping force" (what a lie that was) to Afghanistan.... you should have opted out of that mess. Actually Canada responded to a call from the U.N. not the U.S. but let's not fret.

You missed the U.S. military firing on your people in Afghanistan and killing some of your people.

They are patrolling the Great Lakes for escapees to Canada.... you should be doing the same in concert but haven't offered. Or do you prefer to leave your nation open to terrorists willing to blow up your civilians when they hear the call from Allah?

And you have the audacity to say the U.S. should pay Canada for its costs for the war in the Middle East?

Again you are reinforcing the opinion that Canada cannot think on her own two feet about where she will send her military forces or not... shame on you sir. Canada is not a handmaiden to the U.S.

One point - Let's compare the two cities of Detroit and Oshawa some day ok? See who is on the poverty lines .... tally up all the manufactured goods we purchase from Canadian firms. It is heartening to read the KleenexBoxes in French when the Spanish-speaking Mexicans think we are all sending secret messages about them..

It's been a long day Mikey - have at it....I'll read it another time....Curio

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Curiosity

I was addressing the costs involved in the real here and now urgency of looking at a climate of terrorism around the world in far greater proportions than had existed prior to this series of events ballooning from Gulf War I into the invasion of Iraq. If you'd like me to include the decades long financing of a highly questionable leadership in Israel I can accomodate that but perhaps better done in a different thread.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
MikeyDB

Save yourself some time love - I think Juan has documents going back to 1946....perhaps earlier....it is one of his fav subjects.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
ITN

Can I go back to 56 and the Suez canal and we can decide why whom exactly spent as much money as they did with whom to acheive what exactly...?

Is the U.S. paying to keep the Suez canal open again or what.....:)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
ITN

Can I go back to 56 and the Suez canal and we can decide why whom exactly spent as much money as they did with whom to acheive what exactly...?

Is the U.S. paying to keep the Suez canal open again or what.....:)

You can go back as far as you like, let's see if you can be objective enough and look at both sides of the coin.:D

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
If you can help me with the 'objectivity' part that would be appreciated because you know as well as I that unless we have eyes and ears that were on the ground and reported the events candidly and wihout influence from interested parties that all I can provide you with are the commentary and perspectives published since then and throughout the timeframe of the troubles in Israel and the Middle East in general.

Do you think that the funding and support given to Israel by the United States have been used to create a climate of peace and negotiation or has it simply been used to equip a military regime? Have those billions of American dollars handed to Israel brought peace to the Middle East?