Gunman opens fire at U.S. church, kills two

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
In all honesty what can any of us do about senseless violence. More often than not it is not pre-meditated but a spur of the moment thing. Knife, gun, axe, rock, baseball bat etc., all capable of killing.
Unless one has premonitions about these things they will continue to go on. Humans are better predators than any animal in the wild, but at least they kill to eat and are equipped to do that.
I do not see a solution.
Ever.

You're right, I don't either, but what concerns me, is that, the violence gets worse and
worse as time goes on, along with the drug war, so the future looks more violent to me
all the time, how will that stop, same solution? Never, ever? What then, I won't be here,
so I will never know, but it is a scary thought, will something happen to begin to turn the
tide, and violence begin to decline, I wonder. The drugs have to stop, the wars have to
stop, a tall order.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You're right, I don't either, but what concerns me, is that, the violence gets worse and
worse as time goes on, along with the drug war, so the future looks more violent to me
all the time, how will that stop, same solution? Never, ever? What then, I won't be here,
so I will never know, but it is a scary thought, will something happen to begin to turn the
tide, and violence begin to decline, I wonder. The drugs have to stop, the wars have to
stop, a tall order.

I would give my life for an answer.....but like you if it turns around I will not be of this earth either.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Okay guys.....reality check here.

In the United States the murder rate is currently about 6 per 100,000 per year.
That means 99,994 out of 100,000 citizens get by without being murdered this year

The worst murder rate in US history was back in the late 60s early 70s......it was about 13 per 100,000 per year. That meant 99, 987 people out of 100,000 citizens got by without being murdered every year.

You can divide those figures by three in both instances to arrive at the Canadian figures.

That is very, very low, in both cases. We live in an amazingly peaceful, secure society. I doubt any time or place in history has seen less mayhem than western civilization today.

Don't be so damn fearful.

BTW, interestingly, the relative murder rates of the USA and Canada (the American rate of 3X our own) has remained constant.........despite the fact the USA has loosened many gun laws, allowing personal carry, and the spread of common "assault" weapons in the USA.......and the fact that Canada has gone from absolutely no restrictions on any type of long gun to severe harassment of owners..........our murder rates dip and rise in unison.

Gun control is useless.

I accept the Practical Firearms Control System only because I am willing to compromise, and I have a respect for safety training to prevent accidents.

Nothing to do with guns will change the murder rate.

Look at Jamaica.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
In all honesty what can any of us do about senseless violence. More often than not it is not pre-meditated but a spur of the moment thing. Knife, gun, axe, rock, baseball bat etc., all capable of killing.
Unless one has premonitions about these things they will continue to go on. Humans are better predators than any animal in the wild, but at least they kill to eat and are equipped to do that.
I do not see a solution.
Ever.

Well personally speaking, if people can go through anger management course and other types of training via court orders and such, to train them to learn how to deal with their emotions and how they deal with certain situations..... and if it works for most... that could be one step.

Perhaps something like this could be an additional school course or something. We already have classes to teach sex and how to deal with those sorts of emotions, why not with anger?

(Just throwing it out there)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
stop, a tall order.

Hey if anything, the pot relaxes me, not angers me... :p

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well thats what they should do, otherwise the slaughter will continue...
The whole point in doing something about guns is to try things that would actually work. Otherwise you are wasting time and wasting $billions like our liberals did with the asinine gun registry here. You would stand a better chance of banning guns here than in the States, and that wouldn't even work here. The gun registry doesn't even work here because even some good people haven't registered all their guns. And some have even registered their hair dryers, paint stripping guns, etc. just to make a mockery of the registry.
Come up with a more feasible plan.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The problem isn't the gun ... or the knife ... or the club ... or the bare hand. The problem is someone lost it. How do we legislate bad tempers? How do we register control freaks? How do we prevent someone from having a bad day? If someone's going to freak out and kill, is it going to make the deceased feel better to know he/she was stabbed with a knitting needle or bonked with a hammer?
Exactly. You can't legislate tempers. The best thing you can do toward that end is give each and every single gun owner a complete psychological evaluation. Good luck with that. You can't even get everyone to register their guns now. Gov't has no idea who has a gun and who doesn't.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
To me, what you laid out was something I could agree as a start off point, but the problem is that there are areas where there isn't even this sort of plan in place, there's basically no regulation.... and to me, that's where one root of the problem lies.

But no, I'm not about to join up to an organization at this time.
Right. We had perfectly good firearms regulations before aPAULing Martin & crew messed it up more. The trouble was that they weren't enforced very much.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

That means 99,994 out of 100,000 citizens get by without being murdered this year

The worst murder rate in US history was back in the late 60s early 70s......it was about 13 per 100,000 per year. That meant 99, 987 people out of 100,000 citizens got by without being murdered every year.
That is encouraging, I would not have thought that.

That is very, very low, in both cases. We live in an amazingly peaceful, secure society. I doubt any time or place in history has seen less mayhem than western civilization today.
So, I would imagine that the violence is clustered in large urban areas, which makes
the whole country look dangerous, as the media doesn't report on montanas peaceful situation or other rural areas.

I'm not really afraid of much of anything, but 'concerned'.

BTW, interestingly, the relative murder rates of the USA and Canada (the American rate of 3X our own) has remained constant.........despite the fact the USA has loosened many gun laws, allowing personal carry, and the spread of common "assault" weapons in the USA.......and the fact that Canada has gone from absolutely no restrictions on any type of long gun to severe harassment of owners..........our murder rates dip and rise in unison.
I read an article a while ago that compared michigan to ontario, and the comparison was amazing, as soon as you cross into canada, the stats go way down on crime.

Gun control is useless.
Obviously. that's too bad.

I accept the Practical Firearms Control System only because I am willing to compromise, and I have a respect for safety training to prevent accidents.
We have to accept it, we have no other choice, but, 'freedom of speech you know',
we all have a right to complain and disagree, because it is a touchy situation.

My concern in my last post is about 'violence' period. Wars and drugs seem to be at the forefront,
the greed and power and arrogance and insistence that the u.s. must control the
world. They don't have much interest in controlling their southern border, and
that makes me untrusting of their government, why do they still want it porous,
and why arent their troops there, making sure they protect their own citizens,
they are more concerned in bothering others in far places, while the drugs come
into their country every day, along with illegal aliens, 'that is a problem'. They
rant on about homeland security and protecting the u.s. from danger, and they
purposly keep them in danger on that border. The crime from drugs in that country
and ours is horrible, and please don't tell me that it is improving, as I won't believe
you, even with your stats. Drug crimes affect all of the population, as they will
do anything to get keep their habit going, which includes harming/robbing innocent
people without a second of thought.
Sorry folks, I'm rambling on, so I'll stop now.

Look at Jamaica.
I don't know much about Jamaica, only that they are very poor,
as my grandaughter and daughter went there on a 'church help' trip
to work with regular citizens on projects for their community.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I know exactly what you said, and I attempt to reduce my personal insults to a minimum.... as it goes for "Abusive" I couldn't give a sh*t... it's words, deal with it.
I do deal with it. I point it out and then ignore it. If you want to act that childish it's up to you.

I don't have to suck hole anybody to say what I have to say.... and quite honestly, saying it as I see it tends to get the message across a lot faster then pampering people's sensitive eyes from words they might find mean.
lol Do you stamp your feet and hold your breath, too? Or is it just the cursing and namecalling?
I can accept that you are limited in your abilities to get your point across and having to be abusive in doing so. But I found if people were less abusive there'd be a lot less strife in the world.

As case in point in a couple of posts above.... you're wrong.
Nope. You're wrong.

Well gee sorry, but it seems like the question and debate was too complex for some, so I dumbed it down a little to a yes and no question.... now you complain it's too simple.... geez... sometimes you just can't please a person.... always "I want this I want that, Gimmie gimmie gimmie."
But then you whine that people see black and white. But, I guess you don't understand the concept of cause and effect.

Don't make me turn this car around.... I swear we'll all go home and never see Disney Land.
aaaawww You should have pullled over and took a break when you got all upset before.

And I'll repeat myself, yet again, and again, and again.... I already said there are some situations where there is no option..... but as I also said before, and again, and I'll say it again.... Shooting animals isn't always the solution either..... such as the chipmunks you mentioned.... I can't remember the last time I ever had to gun down a chipmunk because he was a danger.
Well, I can remember each animal I have shot. No chipmunks among them. But my point was that sometimes you have no choice. And I see you finally figured that out. Thank you.

Do you have things called fences? Do you have things called locks? Do you have things like Motion Sensor Lights? There's all kinds of things one can use.
Yup. Got fences, locks, automatic lights. But I can't afford to build a brick wall high enough around my fruit trees. And that's about what it would take. Also reinforced my chicken coop. Spent about $700 on that. I still think 210 grains of lead is cheaper. And I can be sure that that particular critter wouldn't be back. So I have both now; a chicken coop built like Fort Knox and plenty of 210 gr. pieces of lead.
As I said, sometimes there is no choice. Bear bangers don't work and no way I am getting close enough to a bear to spray it with Bear-Be-Gone. So the last one got two rounds in the bum with salt.

And you know something? And old trick my family has used for their camps on the lake and farms when they had to deal with bears breaking in or stealing food, was to take fishing net and drape it over the doors, or around the trees or food. The majority of bears with sense this as a trap and leave well alone.... in fact, the last time my grandparents camp was raided by a bear was back when I was still in school before they started to do that.
The bear leaves well enough alone, we leave them well enough alone, and everybody lives.
Good idea for 3 or 4 trees. But, I am not going to take the trouble to spread nets over a couple dozen trees 10 meters high. The last bear that got into the feed shed went through the wall. the sheet stell I put up keeps the coons and skunks out nicely, but bears have a little more strength and determination than coons. Maybe you hadn't noticed.
Quite right. If they avoid my trees and feed shed, I leave them to their heart's desires. I actually even grow enough corn for bears, us, and a few neighbors.

I only reflect what's given my way. You like to generalize, so I'll generalize for you, since it seems to be a hobby of yours.... oh, but now you're getting all pissy because it's not working on me.... oh.... too bad *Makes a Sad Face*
lol BS.

Well gee, too bad that decision isn't up to you. If I had all the time in the world, I'd move right next door to you, since our friendship is going oh so well so far.... I think we could be the bestest of buddies.
Then again, there's probably plenty of people like me surrounding you where you live already..... I suppose I should hold the fort in my neck of the woods.
Not telling you where I live then. :) Actually I get along quite well with my immediate neighbors. They like what I grow and we like each other's beer. The occasional newbie shows up from the coast and can be fairly obnoxious, but they fit in after a few years. I could tell you a couple stories about a Jewish psychiatrist from Montreal that moved here 15 yrs ago or so. He was the brunt of many practical jokes n the like. Now he's cool.

Asking questions, raising topics, debating things and talking is one thing.... doing is another. As it stands, I'm not interfering with anything, other then your peaceful day.... but you can always just move onto another topic... I can do this forever.
I have no doubt about that. You are probably well practised at BS and causing people grief.

There is such a thing as the internet which holds all kinds of other affordable, more effective, and less time consuming approaches one can take for each paticular situation and location. Since I don't know the details of the size of your land, the amount of animals in your care, the amount of wild animal encounters you have on a regular basis, I am not about to shoot off all kinds of things which may never work.
No worries. I have it down to about one or two incidents every 3 yrs.

The garbage thing was just one example of a recent problem we had to deal with, where something simple worked far better then us chasing around an animal in the dark.
That was never a problem here. We bought an old dumpster from town for $5. It's laying on its side with a hefty Master locking it. There never is very much edibles in it, though, because we have the compost and the chickens. Critters are welcome to the compost but most of the time all we are see crows n ravens there. They don't leave much for their neighbors.

Evil, as opposed to being Good.
I guess the critters in your end of the country are different than here then. Here they don't seem to be evil or good.

It worked didn't it?
Yup, but that's not what you said you were doing.

But my apologies if I didn't clarify that I personally had no issue with hunting or sporting events.... My focus, which I thought was obvious, was towards the generic availability of firearms for anybody in regards to using them against other humans.
No problem. But your focus has been on more than one issue since you started the thread.

The Yes was for the ability to go further into the reasons why you think "Yes" as with No, you would clearly be stating that you personally didn't feel there was an issue... you would have stated your opinion, and that was all that was needed.... I just wanted to check out the general feedback on people and where the majority/minority stood on the subject.
Well, I think there is a problem with illegal firearms in the country. I am not talking about the many guns that people aren't registering so they can practise their civil disobedience. I am talking about the firearms that gangs have, the guns thieved from homes, homemade guns, etc. As far as Joe Lunchbucket shooting his wife for whatever excuse or shooting a couple people in a church goes, I don't think there is anything that can be done before the fact in that case. Perhaps putting armed guards in every building and equipping them with metal detectors? (That's a rhetorical question).

If you don't feel there is a problem, by all means, state why if you like.... if you think there is a problem, like I do, then by all means, state why and for bonus points, you can offer your own solutions or ideas.... I'm open to it all.
So you say.

But when people go into side arguments that don't really relate, such as this whole long winded argument between you and I on how we post and argue (As it has nothing really to do with the original conversation) it side tracks the whole thing in a very big way... as it should be very obvious by now, since we're going into two pages of bitching about the same crap over and over again.

I know we're doing this, and I'll keep doing it until it is reconized.
Apparently. Unlike you, I get bored of it after a while.

Personally, I'm quite capable with a firearm, not to mention responsible. I've taken the proper training and background checks during my training.... that is the argument I am supporting.... proper training and background checks for people prior to them being handed a gun.
Good for you. I am sure a lot of people have had training and have had their backgrounds checked and still shoot others, though.

A former Roman Catholic Irish Male from a Fishing/Military family with a Father as a school teacher in the school you went to has a slight Temper?
Well, I was actually hoping you'd be able to exercise a little self-control instead of getting abusive, temperamental, and petulant.

Heavens to Betsy! Say it isn't so! *slaps cheecks*

I don't have a temper problem, I have an attitude problem, please get it straight. The moment I stop using sarcasm, then you might start to see a temper.... but you have yet to see anything remotely towards what I would call a temper.
Ok, bad attitude then. As you wish.

Meh, why should I stop my whole life just to suit your reading abilities?
Don't stop. I don't like people dying, even the abusive ones with bad attitudes.

You know.... I'm starting to get this whole Jesus Christ impression.... You and others continually claim I say I'm always right and everybody else is wrong, when I have never said that.
People who always think they are always right never say they are. It's a part of their attitude that is quite visible, though.

Pull more sh*t out of your ass if you like, it's all still gonna smell the same.
I don't have to pull it out. If you want I can give you more, but it's getting a bit monotonous.

No, people bitch and moan when I don't entertain their little side track arguments, such as how I'm entertaining this load of crap right now..... but see if I didn't do this, you'd be all in an even worse uproar then you currently are now, and chances are I'll be changed from someone with a "Temper and Attitude Problem" to a Nazi Forum member.

*clicks boots*
If there weren't people like you entertaining me I wouldn't be here. lol
I can well imagine you as being the sort to try bullying people around, yup.

Oh, I know. You're making a perfect example right now.
Thanks, I do like giving examples and reading other people's examples.

The topic is about unnatural deaths? Gee, if I wanted to simplify things like that, I could just claim the topic is about "Human Interaction."
You don't consider being shot to death as unnatural?

The report originally posted was related to gun violence and deaths related to guns.... if you think cars are a related example, then your imagination is a lot more wild then my own.
I use the vehicle death example for the benefit of people like Risus, who seems to think firearm deaths are more important than vehicle deaths.

And you claim I'm the d*ck? You know if I was such a jerk, why are you stooping to my level.... Grampa? Keep it up smart ass... I can do this for a lot longer then you can.

And Child isn't going to affect me none... it just keeps reminding me that you're going to die of old age long before I do.
Where did I call you a "d*ck"?
Sorry, it isn't my ass that's smart.
Actually for brief periods of time I kind of enjoy stooping to your level. Keeps me humble when I do things that remind me I am only human.
Yes, I probably will die of old age before you. I'll probably die contented to that I showed a few people how childish they are, too. :)

Too bad... start your own damn thread and stay out of mine if you don't like it.
Ah, but it isn't YOUR thread. You made it a public thread when you posted it. :D Besides I like the topic and I like pestering people like you.

*shakes head some more*
You can't hi-jack a topic on the very first post, which is the post that creates the topic.... use your head.
I didn't say in which post you hijacked. Use YOUR head. You started in with a few others on page 2 with the hijacking bit. If I start threads I usually remind people who get sidetracked off the topic of what the topic is about. You seem to just join right in the sidetracking.

I highlight anything I feel others, for whatever reason, may find interesting or might relate to them in a topic, and to perhaps help them find parts of the article they want to read, beyond the none important or repetative parts of the article.
Ah, so you think everyone else needs help with their reading, too, not just me. Oh please do teach us some more, oh pinnacle of the literary world.

Is that too complicated for you? I know exactly why I do the things I do, and trust me, I think about what I am about to say or do before I do it.
Uhuh. If you say so.

Your continual bitching about me rather then actually focusing on the topic is pretty consistent... is that a good enough explination for you, oh grand master of words?
Yup. However, if you'd have stuck to your own topic and been civil about it, then things would be different.

See, there you go with not reading things again..... are you sure you shouldn't be on some sort of medication for that problem?
Maybe, but you seem to need it more than me so you can have it.

I never said "Everyone Else Screwed Up" I said "Others Screwed Up" which is a general classification of a select few.... not all.
Pardon me. :) At least I can admit when I am wrong and gladly do so. You should try it sometime, it doesn't hurt.

And just because I take the time and effort to follow as many of the rules as humanly possible at one time, doesn't make me a God.... that just means I'm not lazy like you.
I am lazy? How would you know even if I was?

And the Dictator thing will come eventually.... first I have to win the world over with my Dr. House / Pierre Trudeau charm of not giving a rats ass of what other's think of me.
Won't happen. Trudeau had class & House is a character in a tv show (um, IOW, not real).

Well that's good.... not everybody can handle that level of power.
.... and recognize that they are only human. You're right.

Well if that's the case.....
Serious? Me? Nahhh.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
:-? That's the best you can do?
Hey, don't be snide, I was congratulating you.

Oh well, you don't like people who do, so there's a start.... how would you attempt to reduce the amount of people killing one another? (Hint: I don't care if it has to do with reduction of guns, etc..... whatever pops in your head)
For one thing, I would love to see actual enforcement of the laws against those types of firearms designed solely for shooting people except for collectors, police, the military, border guards, couriers, etc. Unfortunately people just seem to keep making more laws instead of actually enforcing ones they already have. For a little while the new laws may be enforced, but, after a while they get stale it seems or aren't fun to play with any more, I guess.

Well that was the only solution you presented....
So you ASSumed that was all I had.
until you present more, that's all you got.
If I showed you a round for one of my rifles, would you ASSume that was all I had, too?

Well holy snappin crap, I'd hate to see how you deal with people in real life. By the way, you're the one constantly calling me the child. (And I'll keep calling you grandpa until you stop)
Well, you act like a petulant child, so the appelation suits you. And I don't mind being called grampa. I kinda get a chuckle of it.

Oh and the "Maggot" comment earlier.... that was just for entertainment purposes and to relate to the image used. Nothing personal :p
Well, thanks for clearing that up.

So long as you never catch or see anything to shoot at, you're right. But the intent is still there.
Yup. However, people also hunt things to capture them.

Paintball guns are not designed to kill, nor would I even call it hunting.....
Unfortunately for you, people who write dictionaries do call the pursuit of game or prey "hunting".

Cameras are not weapons, nor are they designed to kill. I suppose you're going to use the "Steals your Soul" argument next?

What's next? Water Guns?
I guess that point flew right over your head, too. Sorry, I will try to keep things less analogous and more direct so it isn't too fast for you.

Well I just expanded on your views a bit further then you did, and kinda sheded a better light on each then you did.... I can't help it if your argument is flawed :p
What argument? I didn't hink the readers were that dense that they needed more light "sheded" on them. My apologies, people.

Yeah well sh*t happens.
Yes, it does. And you sure make it happen a lot.

Now why would I go and do something as silly as that? I already tried to drop it.... you kept egging this whole bit*h-fest on with me... now I found some entertainment in this little argument we're having.... you have only yourself to blame because of your lack of ability to read things properly the first time.
You tried to drop it? When? I have no more trouble reading things than you, my friend.

Sure I can. I can also see the easy potiential of things that can kill. Just because I point out that something can kill beyond it's original design, doesn't mean I'm trying to make an entire argument for that thing to be removed off the face of the earth.... I was just stating a fact.... you blew it all out of proportion.
Well you seemed to refuse to accept that certain firearms are NOT designed for killing. They can kill, but they aren't designed for it. Just because a screwdriver, for instance, can kill, doesn't mean it was designed for it. Do you see now?

And I just took your post wayy back a few pages ago and made it as an example, as you did relate to me as being black and white, which is why I pulled out the Full Metal Jacket routine on you, as well as used that point in time to attempt to clarify my postion even further.... in a humorous way.... you just can't take a joke.
Ok. But, what's a Full Metal Jacket routine?

Then why are you still arguing with me?
Not sure. Maybe because I am Irish, too.

Doesn't matter if I'm giving a question expecting an answer or not, I'll answer it regardless.
Suit yourself.

Arguing, Debating, Having a Tea Party, take your pick.
I prefer shooting the breeze over a cold one. Or two. ('scuse the pun)

It's not my country to do anything about it.... But last I checked, there wern't thought police on here restricting the ability to talk about it.

Of course there will be... but there is an opportunity to reduce the amount of deaths, and I sorta figured doing something is better then doing nothing at all.
Not my country either, but I've written letters to their editors, politicians, etc. about things in the States I think could use improvement. So as you say, doing something is better than not doing anything.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
stop, a tall order.
I have a hypothesis that is pretty much impossible to test in order to make it a theory, but I think the bigger the population becomes, the less respect the people in the population has for other people's lives. Also, and this is not a hypothesis .... more like a fact, that the more people there are in general, the more people who kill other people there will be.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

You can divide those figures by three in both instances to arrive at the Canadian figures.

Gun control is useless.

Look at Jamaica.
Quite right. If people want to kill people, they will find some way of doing it.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well personally speaking, if people can go through anger management course and other types of training via court orders and such, to train them to learn how to deal with their emotions and how they deal with certain situations..... and if it works for most... that could be one step.

Perhaps something like this could be an additional school course or something. We already have classes to teach sex and how to deal with those sorts of emotions, why not with anger?

I like this idea, but I see a problem with it unless the gov't does something like dismantling the bureaucracy in the gun registry to free up the money to implement the firearms education and screening of individuals. Certainly wouldn't hurt to cancel the mess they created that makes honest, hardworking farmers, hunters, and target shooters turn criminal with their civil disobedience. Also, schools seem to be dropping courses left, right, and center because gov't funding keeps getting cut back.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

If there was an extensive course on 'paranting', there wouldn't be so many
having anger problems to begin with.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I like this idea, but I see a problem with it unless the gov't does something like dismantling the bureaucracy in the gun registry to free up the money to implement the firearms education and screening of individuals. Certainly wouldn't hurt to cancel the mess they created that makes honest, hardworking farmers, hunters, and target shooters turn criminal with their civil disobedience. Also, schools seem to be dropping courses left, right, and center because gov't funding keeps getting cut back.

Agreed. I've never been a big fan of the Registry, in fact, it never made any sense.

The only sense it made was that it came from the Liberals.... just like the HST came from the liberals here in the Atlantic Proviences..... just like the Carbon Tax came from the Liberals.....

..... what do all of these have in common? They're all money grabs, they all came from the Liberals and they all solve nothing except the Liberals financial problems at our expense.