Gun Control is Completely Useless.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colpy

What's the scoop on mailing ten round magazines within Canada? Anything wonky with respect to special carrier's or can we use Canada Post?

If I understand correctly, pre-ban mags must be shipped disassembled....??

Give us the skinny Oh Master Armourer

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Can't begin to tell you how envious I am L. Gilbert

I'd love to live far far away from everyone...a lighthouse on the mood kind of thing...
Yeah, it's nifty. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not a hermit. I just like my peace n quiet for the most part, but it's nice to be able to crank Pink Floyd up w/out some pencil-necked little lawyer banging on the door mumbling something about noise.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol. Cute Hermie.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks for the chart Herm, I'll continue to practice safe firearms storage as a matter of course since I really appreciate the potential risks in not storing arms responsibly.

Whether there's "call" for personal defense in and of the home has a great deal to do with where you live and so on, but like Colpy's pointed out, and my limited experience, sometimes just the sound of the pump action on a shotgun being cycled will deter a potential nasty...

I'd think about going the extra mile and having a few rounds for the shotgun located somewhere where they could be accessed fairly quickly. I don't have youngsters at home so I appreciate the risk that this poses for inquiring little hands.... I'd have to think a spell on whether the best strategies we can produce with respect to safety and so on outweigh the emotions that would be generated if a loved on was abused or killed by a cracked-up street thug though...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
lol. Cute Hermie.

Thats a question I'd like to hear answered by a victim....

It might not be a particulaly popular proposition among the greater majority of folk but dealing with a rape victim or a brutalized family member emerging out of a situation where the perpetrator could have been stopped...

I've worked with the victims of terrible violence and the idea that a life-time of pain sorrow anger and fear could have been (potentially) avoided to a significant degree leaves me wondering...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Sorry guys I was attempting to answer Herms query and wrongly provided L. Gilbert's quote...

Hey I'm brain damaged...cut me some slack would ya!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
do u think they'd be much better off if they had a man's life on their conscience?

killing changes people. talk to a soldier.

even worse do u think they'd be better off if they had shot a man who was simply tryign to get some food from their cupboards?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
once you become a victim your judgement is obviously going to be clouded. No one wants to be in the situation but the possible outcomes are less horrible (terrible and neutral/slightly bad, ie loss of possessions) than if u shoot people (killing someone apparently intent on harm or killing someone less nasty)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
cute?

Seriously though don't you think the "don't shoot him" column is better to be in? or less nasty anyway?
I think things would have to be really dire for me to be shot or to shoot someone at any time. I would entertain the idea of putting a round in someone's leg if they pissed me off enough, though. A 350 grain chunk of metal with an energy of around 1500 or 1600 ft-lbs is a pretty good stopper of antisocial behavior.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Herm

We can't determine who is emotionally stable "enough" nor can we guarantee that this emotionally "stable" individual will remain that way...booze...drugs...psychotic episode....inflamed passionate response...lots of situations that no particular "law" can offer an omnibus 'solution'. Would you agree with the notion that someone committing forcible entry who knows that someone is at home...in the home being burgled has already demonstrated their disdain for "law and order" and decided that their "reason" outweighs any other consideration doesn't pose a threat? How can we know what's on the mind of someone prepared to forego the honest, civil route of human relations and steps outside the law....and does that person warrant protection under a law that's intended to protect the law-abiding citizen?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Thats a question I'd like to hear answered by a victim....

It might not be a particulaly popular proposition among the greater majority of folk but dealing with a rape victim or a brutalized family member emerging out of a situation where the perpetrator could have been stopped...

I've worked with the victims of terrible violence and the idea that a life-time of pain sorrow anger and fear could have been (potentially) avoided to a significant degree leaves me wondering...
Having spent a few years of dealing with various emergency-like conditions myself, I can see your point. I wasn't chuckling about what the chart represented, but at the chart itself. IE, someone enters my place and I hold up a chart for him to see instead of a finely machined assembly of metal and gunpowder ............. See my point?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I dont know for sure but i suspect the law is designed to protect all citizens, even the non-law-abiding ones. Even if someone HAS decided to break into another's home AND they intend to pull your wife apart and rape your children and eat their feet with mustard, they STILL don't deserve to die. And YOU certainly arent the person to kill them even if they do. killing is wrong in all situations. sometimes it's the lesser evil.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
your point is garbled. the chart is not intended for use as a defensive manoevre. it's intended to display what makes sense to me, ie that shooting people ends worse than not shooting people.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Well Herm, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...

If I were sure beyond a reasonable doubt that somone intended to do the things you've described...

There'd be no hesitation on my part, that nasty isn't needed by anyone...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Herm

We can't determine who is emotionally stable "enough" nor can we guarantee that this emotionally "stable" individual will remain that way...booze...drugs...psychotic episode....inflamed passionate response...lots of situations that no particular "law" can offer an omnibus 'solution'. Would you agree with the notion that someone committing forcible entry who knows that someone is at home...in the home being burgled has already demonstrated their disdain for "law and order" and decided that their "reason" outweighs any other consideration doesn't pose a threat? How can we know what's on the mind of someone prepared to forego the honest, civil route of human relations and steps outside the law....and does that person warrant protection under a law that's intended to protect the law-abiding citizen?
Egg Zachery. Also, if someone is hungry, it'd probably be more sensible to knock and ask for some food first.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i am a dedicated turner-of-the-other-cheek. maybe that would change if it were my kids i was protecting. something tells me though that my wife would beat the **** out of anyone before i'd even started to think :D