Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
So they can also be tools of evil.

I think you need to reevaluate your role as self-appointed gun guru.

You are not very good at it

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
I am not a gun guy, am a car guy. You have to register, insure, have a drivers license etc to drive a car on the road. The cost of all this is an issue, but can see why it's necessary. Most of us understand why it is necessary.
I can see where they would want to register guns too, and have a form of licensing to prove a person is capable of handing it, just as there is a system for cars.
I know the criminal element will try and get around this, whereas the legal gun owner will likely grumble, but comply. That is why the penalties for illegal position of guns should show that we mean business if you are caught.
This American attitude that they are entitled to gun ownership by anyone, no matter their mental state is silly.....in my mind anyways.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I am not a gun guy, am a car guy. You have to register, insure, have a drivers license etc to drive a car on the road. The cost of all this is an issue, but can see why it's necessary. Most of us understand why it is necessary.
I can see where they would want to register guns too, and have a form of licensing to prove a person is capable of handing it, just as there is a system for cars.
I know the criminal element will try and get around this, whereas the legal gun owner will likely grumble, but comply. That is why the penalties for illegal position of guns should show that we mean business if you are caught.
This American attitude that they are entitled to gun ownership by anyone, no matter their mental state is silly.....in my mind anyways.
This American attitude that people can say what they please without government retribution is silly. But they're found in the same place. The Bill of Rights.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

The American attitude that they are entitled to gun ownership by anyone, no matter their mental state is silly, or would be if that were the American attitude. It isn't. It is against federal law.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/background-checks/mental-health-reporting/

Now, as for cars and guns, this is the analogy that makes me face palm more than any other.

Here's why:

1. Nobody ever said you have a constitutional or inherent right to own a car.

2. If you don't drive your car on public roads, you do not have to register it. I promise to register every gun I intend to fire on the highway.

3. Not registering your car is a not a crime, as it is not a violation of the Criminal Code. You can't get 10 years in prison for failing to register your car. Nor can you even get a criminal record for it.

4. Vehicle registration is a revenue generating tool, not an attempt to control ownership.

5. Cars are much more dangerous than guns.

Also, in Canada you already have to have a training course, background check, spousal approval, and subsequently a license to buy or possess firearms. We also used to have a universal registration system, but that turned out to be an expensive, and inefficient farce. It was canceled.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Just like you are trained and receive a license to legally use a car, you have to be trained and receive a license to handle a firearm. You do not have to register your vehicle if you don't want to, you just can't use it on public roads with other licensed drivers.

p.s. you do not need a license tolegally purchase a vehicle, but you do to legally purchase a firearm.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

I can own a car, don't register it, put it on a trailer and tow it all over the country side. I can replace the standard transmission with a fully automatic transmission. I can leave it unlocked in a parking lot with a full tank of gas. I can even give it a sinister looking paint job.

Are you sure that you want firearms to be treated the same?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I can own a car, don't register it, put it on a trailer and tow it all over the country side. I can replace the standard transmission with a fully automatic transmission. I can leave it unlocked in a parking lot with a full tank of gas. I can even give it a sinister looking paint job.
Are you sure that you want firearms to be treated the same?
Cars aren't designed to kill human beings as handguns and "assault rifles" are.

Cars, in fact, are carefully designed to NOT kill their occupants.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Cars aren't designed to kill human beings as handguns and "assault rifles" are.

Cars, in fact, are carefully designed to NOT kill their occupants.

Handguns and "assault rifles" are carefully designed not to kill their users.

What's your point?

Besides, he made the comparison, not me.

I realize it is ridiculous. That's why I debunked it.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Handguns and "assault rifles" are carefully designed not to kill their users.
What's your point?
Besides, he made the comparison, not me.
I realize it is ridiculous. That's why I debunked it.
There is no other reason for them to exist but to kill human beings. They have no other design criteria. Cars do. You really have difficulty understanding that or are you lying the big lie, all the time?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
So YOU are saying that since logic is not your strong point we should take away your parents car?

...hopefully BEFORE you steal it, and kill somebody in a drug fueled, drunken, sexfreak, woman hating, sidewalk cruising, psycho rage?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
There is no other reason for them to exist but to kill human beings. They have no other design criteria. Cars do. You really have difficulty understanding that or are you lying the big lie, all the time?

First, as we pointed out before,there are lots of reasons for handguns besides killing humans. In fact, there is a large portion of firearms made that are exceptionally poor at killing humans, as that is NOT what they are designed. Do we have to subject you to a remedial course of the purposes of firearms?

As for so called "assault weapons", they also serve double duty. The AR 15 platform is the absolute best selling rifle in the USA simply because of its utility. It is light, accurate, and can be had in numerous calibers, it is a great hunting gun. The rifle I carried in the bush for years was a Ruger Mini 14. It was the handiest thing around......... I carried many hundreds of kilometers in the woods. And I never killed anyone.

Add to that the fact we are limited to 5 round mags here, and the point becomes moot. Assault rifles are nno different than any other semi-ato sporting rifle.

Thes guys are just boiling the frog.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Female Shooter at Large After 4 Wounded in Shooting at Downtown L.A.’s Skid Row
https://ktla.com/2019/08/22/at-least-2-hurt-in-shooting-in-downtown-l-a-police
So glad all the new California gun laws created a no violence/no shootings environment oh wait :lol:
Hey! Happy times, eh, Loudmouth!

Someone's getting to use their guns for what they are meant for!

You idiots must get as jealous as hell, everytime one of your Hillbilly fellow travellers opens up on someone.