Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'm not sure how this is preventable.
It is, but the only reason shitheads like you care is because it involves a gun. Funfact: In the US, children who live with a firearm in the house are actually much more likely to be run over in the driveway by their own parents than be injured or killed with the firearm.

One of the single largest causes of child death in the home is bathtub drownings. Firearms don't even make the top 10.

Statistically speaking, 11 kids are killed every day in the US because of someone texting and driving. Yeah, I'm not sure how that's preventable either but you don't care do you, because dollars to donuts you own a vehicle and a phone, but not a firearm.

A) The hunt was legit. This is a black giraffe which are not endangered.
B) It was a problem animal in that it was overly aggressive with it's own. Apparently it killed two young giraffes and attacked others of varying ages.
C) Often times game reserves will charge a premium for someone to come in and hunt a problem animal or one that is old or sick and dying. The money helps keep the reserve going for the rest of the animals.
D) She harvested at least half a ton of meat from it. ( I think it was almost a ton but can't remember off-hand) Unlike hunting predatory animals which tend to have meat that is tough and doesn't taste all that great.

If the animal isn't endangered and you're going to eat it anyway, then I really don't care. I look at it this way. How many deer, elk or moose would she have to kill to get the same amount of food?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If you go with the "Shitheads" reasoning, if someone is killed by a drunk driver, we should blame the car, or the car manufacturer...anything but the dickhead who drove drunk!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is, but the only reason shitheads like you care is because it involves a gun. Funfact: In the US, children who live with a firearm in the house are actually much more likely to be run over in the driveway by their own parents than be injured or killed with the firearm.

One of the single largest causes of child death in the home is bathtub drownings. Firearms don't even make the top 10.

Statistically speaking, 11 kids are killed every day in the US because of someone texting and driving. Yeah, I'm not sure how that's preventable either but you don't care do you, because dollars to donuts you own a vehicle and a phone, but not a firearm.

A) The hunt was legit. This is a black giraffe which are not endangered.
B) It was a problem animal in that it was overly aggressive with it's own. Apparently it killed two young giraffes and attacked others of varying ages.
C) Often times game reserves will charge a premium for someone to come in and hunt a problem animal or one that is old or sick and dying. The money helps keep the reserve going for the rest of the animals.
D) She harvested at least half a ton of meat from it. ( I think it was almost a ton but can't remember off-hand) Unlike hunting predatory animals which tend to have meat that is tough and doesn't taste all that great.

If the animal isn't endangered and you're going to eat it anyway, then I really don't care. I look at it this way. How many deer, elk or moose would she have to kill to get the same amount of food?

The meat (a giraffe is a deer) goes to food banks.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Fun fact - all of those "whatabouts" don't change the fact of US school shootings or the fact that the US has too many firearms in private hands.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Fun fact - all of those "whatabouts" don't change the fact of US school shootings or the fact that the US has too many firearms in private hands.

Here is what is wrong with that; according to the anti-gun Gun Violence Archive, there were 346 mass shootings in 2017. Even if you accept that number as an honest reflection of the situation, that means one in every million guns owned in the USA was used in a mass shooting.

Too many firearms?

So how do you address that? How do you get all the guns out of the hands of private citizens that have a clear constitutional right to keep and bear arms?

You can't.

So you search for other solutions. Like hardening the targets, with access control and armed resistance.

Anyone that thinks allowing qualified potential victims to arm themselves is wrong is, quite frankly, not dealing with reality.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To be blunt, kids today are f-cked. You could have zero guns but the kids will still be f-cked. They will find other means to seek revenge on their bullies.

It's far far easier and only about $25 to make a bomb that would level an entire school.

Guns are hard to get in Rwanda but Hutus still butchered 1,000,000 Tutsis swiftly and efficiently with $3 machetes.

4-year-old boy finds gun under couch, kills himself with it
Associated Press
More from Associated Press
Published:
July 9, 2018
Updated:
July 9, 2018 4:47 PM EDT
(Getty Images)
ATLANTA — A 4-year-old Georgia boy found a gun hidden inside his house and shot himself in the head with it, according to a newly released sheriff’s report.
Justin Foss Jr. was pronounced dead Saturday morning after the shooting at his Augusta residence, Richmond County Chief Deputy Coroner Kenneth Boose Sr. said.
The boy’s father, Justin Foss Sr., 27, was booked into jail Saturday on a charge of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, according to jail records.
Justin’s parents told an officer that their son “found one of their guns under the couch where they hid it and shot himself in the head,” the sheriff’s report states.
Jail records do not indicate whether the father has a lawyer who could be reached for comment.
Data compiled by The Associated Press and the USA TODAY Network in 2016 found that a child was shot to death every other day somewhere in the United States, on average.
Deaths and injuries spiked for children under 5, and were more prevalent in Southern states, the research shows. Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi all ranked in the top 10 states with the highest per capita rates of accidental shootings.
In most cases of children killing themselves with guns, “it’s clear from the facts that they were preventable, and that just makes them even more tragic,” Lindsay Nichols, federal policy director at the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, said Monday.
The California-based non-profit provides technical advice to lawmakers, law enforcers, citizens and others trying to curb gun violence.
“I think it’s dependent on our nation’s leaders and policy makers really make this a priority and recognize that these kinds of tragedies are happening way too often,” Nichols said. “For too many of our kids, their lives are at risk because adults are not doing the responsible thing and properly storing their guns.”
An autopsy on the Georgia child is scheduled.
http://torontosun.com/news/world/4-year-old-boy-finds-gun-under-couch-kills-himself-with-it

Do you know who keeps guns under the couch?

Drug dealers.

Here is what is wrong with that; according to the anti-gun Gun Violence Archive, there were 346 mass shootings in 2017. Even if you accept that number as an honest reflection of the situation, that means one in every million guns owned in the USA was used in a mass shooting.

Too many firearms?

So how do you address that? How do you get all the guns out of the hands of private citizens that have a clear constitutional right to keep and bear arms?

You can't.

So you search for other solutions. Like hardening the targets, with access control and armed resistance.

Anyone that thinks allowing qualified potential victims to arm themselves is wrong is, quite frankly, not dealing with reality.

On a gun to population ratio, Canadians beat Americans on murder and gun crimes with a fraction of guns.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
As for bathtubs being more dangerous that guns .....here you go"

And here is the data they provide to back it up:

As the following table shows, total deaths for children 17 and under due to drowning in a bathtub were 95 in 2011, the latest year the numbers are available. Total deaths from accidental gun shots were 102. The one age range where Carlson might be able to make a case is for children 0 to 4 years old. For that group, 73 died in a bathtub and 29 were killed by guns. But in every other age group, guns are more deadly than bathtubs.

Age Drowned in a bathtub Accidental gunfire
15-17 years 7 28
10-14 years 12 29
5-9 years 3 16
0-4 years 71 29
Total 93 102
Carlson didn’t say what age children he had in mind, but in the context of the story he was responding to — and his rhetorical question about something "I want to know before I let my child go over to your house" — this is not about children under 4 years old. Parents don't let toddlers "go over" to a friend’s house.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

As the following table shows, total deaths for children 17 and under due to drowning in a bathtub were 95 in 2011, the latest year the numbers are available. Total deaths from accidental gun shots were 102. The one age range where Carlson might be able to make a case is for children 0 to 4 years old. For that group, 73 died in a bathtub and 29 were killed by guns. But in every other age group, guns are more deadly than bathtubs.

15-17 years 7 28
10-14 years 12 29
5-9 years 3 16
0-4 years 71 29
Total 93 102
Carlson didn’t say what age children he had in mind, but in the context of the story he was responding to — and his rhetorical question about something "I want to know before I let my child go over to your house" — this is not about children under 4 years old. Parents don't let toddlers "go over" to a friend’s house.
95 bathtubs 102 guns , pretty close odds I would say .

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

15-17 years 7 28
10-14 years 12 29
5-9 years 3 16
0-4 years 71 29
Total 93 102

what about drowned in a residential swimming pool? only communities and hotels should have swimming pools. citizens should not have this right because it drowns 14 times more children than accidental firearm shootings.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
See? Guns are way safer than bath tubs because the children of Americans spend just as much time around bath tubs as the spend around guns and suffer far more violence from bath tubs!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
See? Guns are way safer than bath tubs because the children of Americans spend just as much time around bath tubs as the spend around guns and suffer far more violence from bath tubs!

And convicted felons and the mentally ill are allowed to own bathtubs, so. . .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
OH an swimming pools?

Obviously more dangerous.

Children in America spend exactly the same amount of time in and around swimming pools as they spend handling loaded weapons - and they suffer more violence from swimming pools.

IF only we had these facts long ago.

Who new that only a white nationalist climate change denier could furnish us with these indisputable facts?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
OH an swimming pools?

Obviously more dangerous.

Children in America spend exactly the same amount of time in and around swimming pools as they spend handling loaded weapons - and they suffer more violence from swimming pools.

IF only we had these facts long ago.

Who new that only a white nationalist climate change denier could furnish us with these indisputable facts?
If I ask you a question will you answer ?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Who says there are too many guns in private hands and how did they become experts in the field?

If I ask you a question will you answer ?

Allow me to answer for him.
The reason he is retarded is because his father is also his brother.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Still doesn't change the fact that firearms don't even make the top 10 when it comes to preventable deaths. But I do find it interesting that the deaths caused by impaired and distracted driving, which far outweigh the deaths caused by firearms, is a "non-starter" for you. So again, it's obviously not the deaths or the numbers that bother you, just the method.
How many kids have been shot at school this year? Statistically, 2,123 kids have been killed by texting and driving since Jan 1.
How are guns the problem again?

15-17 years 7 28
10-14 years 12 29
5-9 years 3 16
0-4 years 71 29
Total 93 102
My stats included only households with firearms and have nothing to do with Carlson, whoever the f*ck he is.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Too many firearms?

You can't.

No, you do what every other nation with a government that hasn't sold out to the gun lobby. You place restrictions on firearms ownership. Hardening targets is an utter waste of time, mainly because there are far too many targets. If idiots can't shoot up schools they will shoot up playgrounds, or sporting events, or malls, or any place where large numbers of unsuspecting people go about their daily lives. Remember Las Vegas?

On a gun to population ratio, Canadians beat Americans on murder and gun crimes with a fraction of guns.

So you are saying we need more restrictions on firearms in Canada? I agree.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So you are saying we need more restrictions on firearms in Canada? I agree.

I wouldn't argue about that BUT what we need even more is a restriction on criminals owning firearms! Take care of that first and then we can concern ourselves with firearms. I doubt at that stage there would even be a problem.