Goodbye Future Shop: 66 stores closing, others converting to Best Buy locations

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Here is my rant.

I would like to see the government step in and get Telus, Shaw and Rogers off of the monopolized system they now have. Telecoms have systematically ripped everyone off, manipulating services based on buying hardware from them. Real tech retailers, such as Future Shop, need a fighting chance. Obviously the hot tech items these days are mobile devices. Whether or not you need one you pay as if you're buying one, just to get a mobile phone service. And there is nothing you can do about it. There is no other competition. Obviously telecom service is jacked up in price to account for the issuance of mobile phones (which should be sold elsewhere or at least be separated from the cost of having a mobile phone account). Telecoms shouldn't be allowed to hijack the entire industry and force people to pay enormous wads of cash at the expense of everyone else.

It kind of seems silly that people will complain that the banks charge too much if they charge 5 or 10 dollars a month (as if they don't spend an enormous amount of capital on technology to make a banking network safe) yet we just keep on keeping on paying hundreds of dollars a month to telecoms. And this is just one example of the cost we pay. Jobs lost at the expense of Mr Rogers sports toys.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My step father was like that. Non confrontational as they come. Wish I could have been more like him that way but sadly, jerks and morons do have the ability to push my buttons and after awhile you get tired of people taking advantage. As much as I'd like to be more like my easy going step father, I realize that's not me. People need to stop fvcking each other over. Tired of it.
well my dad was easy breezy, (which is likely why my guy is as we are attracted to what we know) my mum was feisty as hell, I'm a combo and it depends upon my circumstances which side of me emerges.

the part that shocks me about these easy breezy types is, he will be the first to gently complain to customer service or in a restaurant if he is displeased...he does it in a nice way, a firm and gentle way, but there's no moving him. he never confronts an individual in a "personal" way...it's always situational

I have learned much from him over the years

if someone goes at him physically, he's going back at them though...that shocked me too...my dad was that way as well, lay your hands on him and you are going down...my guy took on someone half his age and twice his size when the guy physically threatened us and was whipping stones at us...

if I was in a locked burning car, I have one girlfriend and this guy that would do anything to get you out, stranger, or family, they would attempt to save you with little thought to self in the moment

I am learning slowly to remove all emotion from a situation and step back...I'm a work in progress...lol

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
well my dad was easy breezy, (which is likely why my guy is as we are attracted to what we know) my mum was feisty as hell, I'm a combo and it depends upon my circumstances which side of me emerges.

the part that shocks me about these easy breezy types is, he will be the first to gently complain to customer service or in a restaurant if he is displeased...he does it in a nice way, a firm and gentle way, but there's no moving him. he never confronts an individual in a "personal" way...it's always situational

I have learned much from him over the years

if someone goes at him physically, he's going back at them though...that shocked me too...my dad was that way as well, lay your hands on him and you are going down...my guy took on someone half his age and twice his size when the guy physically threatened us and was whipping stones at us...

if I was in a locked burning car, I have one girlfriend and this guy that would do anything to get you out, stranger, or family, they would attempt to save you with little thought to self in the moment

I am learning slowly to remove all emotion from a situation and step back...I'm a work in progress...lol
Ain't we all. Some progress at an accelerated rate while others have to ferment. I have a temper myself and while I do admit that's probably not a good thing, and not something to try and justify, I've witnessed what azzholes do to docile people, and it infuriates me.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ain't we all. Some progress at an accelerated rate while others have to ferment. I have a temper myself and while I do admit that's probably not a good thing, and not something to try and justify, I've witnessed what azzholes do to docile people, and it infuriates me.
yes I get that too...I hate any form of bully mentality and I hate thinking back over my life and seeing I've done it too...my guy would never have been a part of that, ever...my feistier side not only allowed it, made it a sport of sorts in some situations...thus I have a lot to make up for

I started off gentle and had to be taught to defend myself as I was simply too soft, too kind, too empathetic...my mum forced that out of me so I could survive...the pendulum swung too far in a few cases I think...she tried to modify that and the Catholic guilt thing helped to tame me, my mum was an astounding and amazing human being, so was my dad

now I just stumble along...lol doing the best I can in each situation

I often times have to rein myself in and clamp my mouth shut ... it's a slow journey to kindness, you have to be strong enough and tough enough to be kind and not slam someone...I am bad with the psychological games, I just instictively know how to set someone off if I choose, I understand fairly fast after observation what will spin someone out...I can when I choose, manipulate someone into a rage...I try not to allow that any more...as I said, I'm a work in progress

sometimes karmas a b*tch ... ;-) we're only human

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
We are now at a point where people get depressed when retail outlets close down.

This is sad.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
God, we should be getting used to these shenanigans. Target stores came and went so quickly I almost missed them. Future Shop and Best Buy have been playing musical stores for some time now so I certainly would not buy any big items from either of them.