Good Fences make Good Neighbours?

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
rufus; It sounds like you are building a backstop for a firing range, you should check with the CFO, (anonymously of course) the requirements for such a range. If it is just for personal use on you own property there may not be too much a problem. However, the rules are open to interpretation and that of the new sherriff in our town requires us to spend another $2000 on ranges we have already spent $10,000 on in upgrades to bring it to military specs, but this is a club. But a friend of mine also had the range on his own property inspected, and it also needed upgrades. He is a dealer though and test fires everything up to and including automatic rifles so that may make a difference. But considering Mr. Doofus, this is not a case where it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission if he happens to complain, you could put a lot of effort into something the CFO will not allow you to use. Just a thought, but like I said, ask the questions candidly, the CFO is full of gun grabbers too.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe it's a Saskatchewan thing, but like Petro's, my first thought
was to add some gasoline and light the thing up....sounds like that's
not an option for you out there though...

Small Claims court costs about $25.00 out here...I have no idea
about Ontario, but it gives you an amount for comparison.

Out here we have RM's....you might have County officials you could
go to. There might be some bylaw enforcement of some type that
you could complain to that would go and have a chat with your
neightbour??? Perhaps they'll clean it up if you complain and just add
the cost of their time to your neighbours property taxes if he's not
willing to pay for the removal???

Oh yeah (we don't have Counties out here), RM = Rural Municipality.

Once the tree is gone, patch the fence with Barbed Wire as it's cheap,
and then ignore your neighbour as he's not worth bothering about....

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
My boyfriend was in the military for 8 years and he is aware of whatever the requirements are to build a shooting range for personal use. He wants to teach me gun safety and how to shoot properly. But before I reach the point where I would be shooting we needed to build up the back of the range so that nothing will penetrate it.
I appreciate the fact that you were concerned enough to ask.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
rufus; It sounds like you are building a backstop for a firing range, you should check with the CFO, (anonymously of course) the requirements for such a range. If it is just for personal use on you own property there may not be too much a problem. However, the rules are open to interpretation and that of the new sherriff in our town requires us to spend another $2000 on ranges we have already spent $10,000 on in upgrades to bring it to military specs, but this is a club. But a friend of mine also had the range on his own property inspected, and it also needed upgrades. He is a dealer though and test fires everything up to and including automatic rifles so that may make a difference. But considering Mr. Doofus, this is not a case where it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission if he happens to complain, you could put a lot of effort into something the CFO will not allow you to use. Just a thought, but like I said, ask the questions candidly, the CFO is full of gun grabbers too.

Thanks for the explanation to my post, Bob. It is nice to see that Rufus at least has some options and that her and her boyfriend are stuck.:smile:

As for the post I am quoting, you make a very good point. If he is as much of a doofus as he sounds like, he may try to make trouble for Rufus by complaining to the CFO(Canadian Firearms Office?) and trying to get them some other way since it doesn't appear like he can get them to pay for the fence.

Either way, it sucks when a person is stuck with lousy neighbours like that.:-(

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
My boyfriend was in the military for 8 years and he is aware of whatever the requirements are to build a shooting range for personal use. He wants to teach me gun safety and how to shoot properly. But before I reach the point where I would be shooting we needed to build up the back of the range so that nothing will penetrate it.

LOL! Well, I guess that makes the second paragraph in my previous post a moot point.:lol:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool:.......Warn him by registered mail that you would take a dim view to any damage done to your property by his cattle.

Wait for one of his steers to cross over, shoot it, have it butchered, and send him the bill. Keep the beef.

Document everything.

This worked for a friend of mine in Ont.

Cheap ****ing farmers.:angry3:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
:cool:.......Warn him by registered mail that you would take a dim view to any damage done to your property by his cattle.

Wait for one of his steers to cross over, shoot it, have it butchered, and send him the bill. Keep the beef.

Document everything.

This worked for a friend of mine in Ont.

Cheap ****ing farmers.:angry3:

Better yet, don't send him a bill, don't even let him know, just keep the beef, that's how we dealt with doofus's like that in Sask.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

Ummm, yeah, well, our club Prez is former SAS in Her Majesty's Service and has designed and built ranges for police and military in the UK, South Africa, Zimbabwe, the US, the Czech Republic, but they still aren't good enough for Canada, eh? In this climate you just have to make sure your ducks are in a row, that's all.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Thanks for the explanation to my post, Bob. It is nice to see that Rufus at least has some options and that her and her boyfriend are stuck.:smile:

As for the post I am quoting, you make a very good point. If he is as much of a doofus as he sounds like, he may try to make trouble for Rufus by complaining to the CFO(Canadian Firearms Office?) and trying to get them some other way since it doesn't appear like he can get them to pay for the fence.

Either way, it sucks when a person is stuck with lousy neighbours like that.:-(

Yeah, sometimes even when you're right you can be deemed wrong, but like my daddy used to say, "the best defense is a good offence". Been there done that and keeping him on the defense leaves little time for him to mount an offensive of his own. Sounds like war :boxing:, or at least a skirmish.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Ummm, yeah, well, our club Prez is former SAS in Her Majesty's Service and has designed and built ranges for police and military in the UK, South Africa, Zimbabwe, the US, the Czech Republic, but they still aren't good enough for Canada, eh? In this climate you just have to make sure your ducks are in a row, that's all.

I meant no disrespect Bob. I was only trying to say that having been in the military he made sure to check out all the regulations that were required before we started to construct our backstop.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
rufus; Here's another thought; find a lawyer you can deal with, it could be the one who dealt with the purchase of your property, and get him or her to draft a letter to Mr. Doofus stating your intent to recover the costs of removing the tree and recovering the cost of the damage it did. Nothing makes a person sit up and take notice more than a letter of intent from a law firm. I know a lot of lawyers, I have either worked with them professioally or just know them through social circles, they aren't really a bad bunch overall, (just don't try to pin them down on an opinion over cocktails, you'll never understand them if they actually do give you one :lol:)and some will actually do this for free if it means repeat business, i.e. real estate, wills,etc. It doesn't mean they'll be the person representing you in court, if it gets that far, because that may not be their area of expertise anyway. If there is a fee, a respectful lawyer will tell you so and tell you how much, but work on the freebe first, you usually get a free consult on a first visit anyway, at least I always have, if you don't, find someone who will, the phone book is full of them.

Still, tell the lawyer your intent, I would go the small calims route if need be, but a letter may just make this guy make you whole again and get him out of your life.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I meant no disrespect Bob. I was only trying to say that having been in the military he made sure to check out all the regulations that were required before we started to construct our backstop.

No, I quite understand that, the problem is that the CFO folks are bureaucrats and don't understand the regulations or they make them up as they go. They drank the Kool Aid, they would tell Einstein how to interpret the theory of relativity. We followed the regulations too, but we weren't smart enough to interpret them, it's not broken, it's government. I'm just saying, get their interpretation of the regulations, even if you think it's wrong, and it probably is, and go with that.
At least then if someone squawks, you can say so and so said it was supposed to be done that way, I've dealt with government long enough to hate it but can still play the game.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
No, I quite understand that, the problem is that the CFO folks are bureaucrats and don't understand the regulations or they make them up as they go. They drank the Kool Aid, they would tell Einstein how to interpret the theory of relativity. We followed the regulations too, but we weren't smart enough to interpret them, it's not broken, it's government. I'm just saying, get their interpretation of the regulations, even if you think it's wrong, and it probably is, and go with that.
At least then if someone squawks, you can say so and so said it was supposed to be done that way, I've dealt with government long enough to hate it but can still play the game.

...and always get it in writing because chances are by the time some other petty bureaucrat demands changes to bring it up to his/her interpretation of the specs, the original lackey will be farmed off to screw up some other department....

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
There is one thing that I do know about my boyfriend is that he gets everything in writing. He doesn't have a problem signing his name to whatever he writes and he won't deal with someone who won't sign their name.

If the person he is dealing with won't sign then he goes higher up until he finds someone with the balls to sign their name to a document.

He already has an attorney and that is his next step.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
rufus; Here's another thought; find a lawyer you can deal with, it could be the one who dealt with the purchase of your property, and get him or her to draft a letter to Mr. Doofus stating your intent to recover the costs of removing the tree and recovering the cost of the damage it did. Nothing makes a person sit up and take notice more than a letter of intent from a law firm. I know a lot of lawyers, I have either worked with them professioally or just know them through social circles, they aren't really a bad bunch overall, (just don't try to pin them down on an opinion over cocktails, you'll never understand them if they actually do give you one :lol:)and some will actually do this for free if it means repeat business, i.e. real estate, wills,etc. It doesn't mean they'll be the person representing you in court, if it gets that far, because that may not be their area of expertise anyway. If there is a fee, a respectful lawyer will tell you so and tell you how much, but work on the freebe first, you usually get a free consult on a first visit anyway, at least I always have, if you don't, find someone who will, the phone book is full of them.

Still, tell the lawyer your intent, I would go the small calims route if need be, but a letter may just make this guy make you whole again and get him out of your life.

My boyfriend sent the neighbour a registered letter stating his intention to follow up with small claims court and seize his property if he didn't live up to his obligations and remove the tree from our property.

Low and behold one day while we were in town shopping someone not only removed the fallen tree but every tree that was along the property line on his side of the fence. He also had to replace three sections of our fence damaged in the removal (I think he hooked it up to a tractor and dragged it out)
but there was nothing that could be done to the trees on our side that were damaged by his dragging the fallen tree out. So in a year or two we will have to cut down the damaged trees.

View attachment 1064

So now my boyfriend is sending him another letter to ensure that this idiot will not be bothering us any time soon. We heard a few rumours that he was threatening to shoot first and ask questions later so the letter being sent is to make sure that he knows that we know what type of person he is. Hopefully this will be the end of it but I have a feeling that it isn't.

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Thanks for keeping us apprised of the situation rufus. I hope it doesn't escalate at all.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
A few years back I had a really big tree drop a couple of huge branchs during a bad storm.
The branches crunched right through our neighbors picket fence.
I popped over to the neighbors, apologized for my tree wrecking the fence, told them I would take care of it and asked if I could trespass on their property in order to fix things.
They said sure.
I fired up the chainsaw and chopped up all I could handle, phoned an arborist who hauled away the logs and removed up a few huge broken, hanging branches.
Went to Revy, got the planks, cut and painted them, fixed the fence and touched up the paint.
Then I popped over next door and raked up the debris.
Total finished costs $300.00.

I would expect no less of anyone else.
My only questions to the neighbor would be are you going to fix all the damage or should I get it done and bring the bills over?
A negative response and I would probably take it to small claims court.
That is usually a lengthy loose loose deal but whatya gonna do?

If all else fails go for brews at the local downtown biker bar and ask a couple of the "boys" if they want to make a quick grand in return for a little contract slap training session.
Expensive but satisfying.

Trex

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Could could always get Chuck Norris to give the tree a roundhouse kick. That would probably disintegrate it.....oh....damn...am I on the wrong thread?