Golf Chat

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think there is no right or wrong strategy for playing the Ryder Cup. I think Michelson was off base when he stated that Tom Watson's matchups lost the Cup. Any strategy will win if your team plays well on course. And i don't think any strategy will succeed if you're losing the tournament by a score of 16.5 to 11.5.. You have to accept you were just soundly defeated by the better team.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think the Captaincy is way over rated. The only thing Tom Watson could've done to help is play, and he probably would've played better than most of those guys on the US squad.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think there is no right or wrong strategy for playing the Ryder Cup. I think Michelson was off base when he stated that Tom Watson's matchups lost the Cup. Any strategy will win if your team plays well on course. And i don't think any strategy will succeed if you're losing the tournament by a score of 16.5 to 11.5.. You have to accept you were just soundly defeated by the better team.

absolutely, and for mickellson to sit in front of all of those international mediA And spout such nonsense,
was so tacky and inconsiderate of their captain and the rest of the team, he should be soundly
told off by the pga tour officials, it is embarrassing to them.
he plans to make the team next time without having to be a captains pick, well he better because no
self respecting captain will ever pick him, and by the time the next one comes along i'm hoping he
can't make it, and is left out period.

I think the Captaincy is way over rated. The only thing Tom Watson could've done to help is play, and he probably would've played better than most of those guys on the US squad.

yes i think so too, i realize they need a captain, looks good and does give the team someone to
gather round, but as watson said, they can only prepare the players, they cannot win for them,
and even he has second guessed himself on a couple of player moves he made, that no way made the
difference in the outcome.

and, as montgomery said yesterday, when the u.s. team all boarded the 747 jet to fly to scotland, there
were eleven players on boArd, guess who wasn't with them, as mickellson had made separate plans, my
what a team guy.,

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

DOMINANT EUROPE RETAIN THE RYDER CUP AFTER TAKING AN UNASSAILABLE LEAD AGAINST US

SCORE IS CURRENTLY EUROPE
14½-9½ United States (Europe needed 14 points, US 14½)

WELSHMAN JAMIE DONALDSON SECURES THE POINT THAT RETAINS THE RYDER CUP FOR EUROPE

Great tournie - very glad to see the European's take the Ryder Cup again - good on them. Just read that Rory won the PGA golfer of the year award - Rock on Rory.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think there might be something to way the game is played in Europe that seems to be consistently putting out superior players. Specifically the nature of European Golf Courses which tend to be shorter, highly idiosyncratic, vulnerable to weather, especially wind and drawn from local Golf traditions and architecture.

In the U.S. and Canada (unfortunately) a great conventionality has descended on Golf Course construction.. largely based on Jack Nicklaus inspired courses.. which while difficult are all drawn from the same template.

I thought playing at Jack Nicklaus designed course in Scotland would help the Americans... with its expansiveness and formulaic hazards.. but it couldn't compensate for the flexibility that is engrained in young golfers in Europe.

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I think there might be something to way the game is played in Europe that seems to be consistently putting out superior players. Specifically the nature of European Golf Courses which tend to be shorter, highly idiosyncratic, vulnerable to weather, especially wind and drawn from local Golf traditions and architecture.

In the U.S. and Canada (unfortunately) a great conventionality has descended on Golf Course construction.. largely based on Jack Nicklaus inspired courses.. which while difficult are all drawn from the same template.

I thought playing at Jack Nicklaus designed course in Scotland would help the Americans... with its expansiveness and formulaic hazards.. but it couldn't compensate for the flexibility that is engrained in young golfers in Europe.

I was watching the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship today and your comments immediately brought to mind the course there. Challenges aplenty, wind, rain, cold, bunkers that actually look like bunkers, rolling - almost hilly greens - certainly enough there to test the most experienced golfer as I also witnessed. I do agree with your remarks as I also watch the St Andrews Open and it conforms well to them.

Once a player has faced and overcome such rugged courses, American courses must seem like a dream to play. I always try to catch the Augusta National as I find it one of the loveliest courses with its rich array of Southern flora.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
A golf club to pee in? Yup, it's a thing
Postmedia Network
First posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 04:28 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, June 17, 2016 04:32 PM EDT
Guys, no more trying to find a bush on the back nine when you really have to go. A company called BioRelief Inc. has developed the Uro Club -- it's a "portable urinal" shaped like a golf club to fit in your golf bag.
Yes, you're supposed to pee in the shaft of this extra-wide looking golf club, then put it back in your bag and carry it around.
"Easy to empty and clean at home," it advertises on Amazon.com, where it sells for $48.49.
It comes with a towel to wrap around your waist "for privacy." Or as the promotional video says: "It'll just look like you're checking out your club."
Although BioRelief specializes in portable toilets and similar accessories, reviews suggest the product has been purchased mostly as a joke gift.
The Uro Club, a "portable urinal" shaped like a golf club to fit in your golf bag, can be purchased on Amazon.com. (Amazon.com)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx_-NMpfCLI
A golf club to pee in? Yup, it's a thing | Weird | News | Toronto Sun
Matco Enterprises • UroClub™

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
A golf club to pee in? Yup, it's a thing
Postmedia Network
First posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 04:28 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, June 17, 2016 04:32 PM EDT
Guys, no more trying to find a bush on the back nine when you really have to go. A company called BioRelief Inc. has developed the Uro Club -- it's a "portable urinal" shaped like a golf club to fit in your golf bag.
Yes, you're supposed to pee in the shaft of this extra-wide looking golf club, then put it back in your bag and carry it around.
"Easy to empty and clean at home," it advertises on Amazon.com, where it sells for $48.49.
It comes with a towel to wrap around your waist "for privacy." Or as the promotional video says: "It'll just look like you're checking out your club."
Although BioRelief specializes in portable toilets and similar accessories, reviews suggest the product has been purchased mostly as a joke gift.
The Uro Club, a "portable urinal" shaped like a golf club to fit in your golf bag, can be purchased on Amazon.com. (Amazon.com)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx_-NMpfCLI
A golf club to pee in? Yup, it's a thing | Weird | News | Toronto Sun
Matco Enterprises • UroClub™
What is wrong with trees .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Shot an 80 which I was happy with considering there are lots of blind shots which make it tough the first time around. I'm here for the week and plan to play it again.

Love those nine hole courses!

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Believe it or not, I'm a pretty decent golfer...

I usually score in the mid to high 70's. I've been playing since I was 8 years old and had club memberships in my teens. My older Bro is scratch.

Perhaps we could all talk PGA and Tiger on this thread as the season unfolds.

I bet my best friend 5 years ago that Tiger wouldn't beat Jack's Major record of 18...a hundred smackers on the line. Only time will tell.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Don't watch it then.

Had a six handicap years ago until I got married had kids and quit playing. Picked the game back up 10 years ago or so. First year back I almost quit. Struggled to break 100. Handicap is down to 12 now.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Ludlow...

I'm also proficient at Chess. Do you find difficult games unwatchable because you are unable to grasp and appreciate the talent of the participants?

Or perhaps Ball-in-a-Cup is more your speed?

Tiger is teeing off this Thursday at the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in San Diego.

I golfed at that course years ago. Should be interesting! Looking forward to it!

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Tiger misses the cut at Torrey Pines...

Age and health are not on his side. Jack's record is safe unless a miracle occurs down the road.

My brother who is a scratch golfer said this to me many years ago-

"Jack was the workhorse...built for the long haul."

"Tiger is the thoroughbred...built for only a finite amount of time in the spotlight"

Pretty accurate to me.