GM halts production of the Volt

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You notice that those parts of N America that use coal generated electricity are not in a rush to dump their air conditioners and other energy gobbling trinkets.
Their is also a lot of people that use nuclear generated power that complain about the evils of fossil fuels. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Nukes are the largest emitters for ozone layer destroying CFC's.

It was 34C here the other day (without the humid dicks), I highly doubt any green types had qualms abourt running their AC.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Electric cars aren't practical yet in North America, we demand the ability to travel vast distances, and we don't have the infrastructure to support doing that with electric cars.http://www.israellycool.com/2012/08/20/better-place-distance-dash/

Maybe. But studies have shown the average driver drives less than a 100 Km per day. Electric cars easily handle that. The real problem is that there are no electric cars available at a reasonable price. I'm certain people would buy them if they got the price down, but that is only possible through mass production and a run of only a few hundred thousand just doesn't cut it.

Your option of swapping out batteries is a good one, but that brings up one more reason for a lack of electric cars. How many of these battery swapping stations are there? There needs to be a proper infrastructure if electric cars are to succeed in exactly the same way a network of gas stations was needed to make the internal combustion engine successful.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm certain people would buy them if they got the price down, but that is only possible through mass production and a run of only a few hundred thousand just doesn't cut it.
47,000 units IS mass production. Simply put electric vehicles suck ass.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe. But studies have shown the average driver drives less than a 100 Km per day. Electric cars easily handle that. The real problem is that there are no electric cars available at a reasonable price. I'm certain people would buy them if they got the price down, but that is only possible through mass production and a run of only a few hundred thousand just doesn't cut it.

Your option of swapping out batteries is a good one, but that brings up one more reason for a lack of electric cars. How many of these battery swapping stations are there? There needs to be a proper infrastructure if electric cars are to succeed in exactly the same way a network of gas stations was needed to make the internal combustion engine successful.

No, mass production so far as automobiles are concerned is making enough to get the cost down to a level where they are competitive with conventional vehicles. Otherwise only the wealthy can afford them and for the most part the wealthy don't give a dam about the price of gasoline. If you want a parallel example cell phone sales did not take off among ordinary consumers until the price dropped through mass production to a level the average person could afford. Consumers are not going to pay more money for a new vehicle even if it is energy efficient. Volts were selling for over $31,000 even after a government rebate. That's a lot of cash considering that a Lexus could be purchased for a similar amount.

Best Upscale Midsize Cars Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The overhead power lines for trolley and streetcars can be adapted to cars right now and the battery could be used as a temporary source just in case the power goes out. Electric cars is here to stay and if the big three wants to pull out of the electric car business there are more than enough conversion operators to take care of the business.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The overhead power lines for trolley and streetcars can be adapted to cars right now and the battery could be used as a temporary source just in case the power goes out. Electric cars is here to stay and if the big three wants to pull out of the electric car business there are more than enough conversion operators to take care of the business.
Not being able to pass would make most Toronto drivers implode....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
"Important" people have to get where they are going (if they know) now and without interuptions from the peasants! :lol:

Maybe I'm just a little slow here, but I'm still not getting where massive self-implosions are going to be a bad thing. ;)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Anything new is more expensive until production/demand/sales go up, technology and quality improve, etc. Half dozen years ago the first Samsung Blue Ray player cost a grand, we just got a new LG for $80 last year.
Did the guvmint subsidize folks to purchase the first Samsung Blu Ray player?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is a General Motors problem not a White House Problem. Obama did the right
thing saving GM their profits over all are up substantially. The Volt is not something
I would buy or most others would buy. First its an ugly little thing, secondly its one
of those plug me in things, I want gas or diesel. I don't want some little sardine can
I want a full size machine and a V8 engine
The auto industry is facing a new set of problems some of the off shore companies
are building big cars with power now and we are building those little sawed off things
that look like they were in an accident on the assembly line.
The impala, remember the SS Super Sport in 1964? If you remember that car why
on earth would you buy a new one now, they are no where near what they were.
The fact is this time of year they are scrambling to produce what people want, and
I guess its the Impala for what ever reason. Plants do shut down for those reasons.
Why is it that every time there is change someone attempts to make it a conspiracy?