Global warming: second thoughts of an environmentalist

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't intend to be guilt tripped and pushed around by peeps who are gaining wealth and notoriety by yelling that the sky is falling. If they absolutely taught by example and gave some proof of same i would be (slightly) more amenable.

I'll bet you didn't know that the sky actually is falling.

More greenhouse gases in the lower atmosphere trapping radiation from the planets surface, as a result the upper atmosphere cools, and as a result the upper atmosphere becomes more dense, it contracts. The "sky" is falling.

This would be one of those fingerprints I mentioned earlier.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Except the finger prints on the evidence don't match that of the sun. Though I can see the appeal of having something like that on Matlock. The demographic is more friendly to the pseudo-skeptics.

Apparently Professor Gerard Bond and Fritz Vahrenholt disagree with your position. Considering that he has switched camps, I'd suggest that he has an interesting perspective on the matter

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Apparently Professor Gerard Bond and Fritz Vahrenholt disagree with your position. Considering that he has switched camps, I'd suggest that he has an interesting perspective on the matter

Yes, about that, his interesting perspective includes lying about what's in the IPCC report. So he's either uncritically swallowing some nonsense he read somewhere, or perhaps he never was actually following the science, and was only making money. As far as changing opinions go, the physics don't change.

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
Scientists of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) are quite certain: by using fossil fuels man is currently destroying the climate and our future. We have one last chance, we are told: quickly renounce modern industrial society – painfully but for a good cause.

More false choice BS, there are effective alternatives.

The real issue is that the companies and individuals that now enjoy a captive energy market will lose it. Many of the new technologies that are ready to replace fossil fuels can be locally accessed and controlled.

So by creating a new varied energy market based on a combination of solar, geothermal, biomass, wind/tidal, nuclear(if appropriate) and other sources we'll be driving innovation, investment and diversity while making it next to impossible for one rather small grouping to corner the market as has happened with fossil fuels years ago.

The real issue is about market control, not the availability of new sources of energy. If we had the proper legislation, incentives, regulation and marketing we could start right away to build a much morre robust and modern energy market and economy. depending on fossil fuels is in actuality a limiting factor in modern economics, politics and sociology.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Interesting article in this weeks Macleans Magazine about alternative energy. I now know why Red is so adamant about increasing the use of expensive and subsidized solar power. Either he is a nutter and/or has a significant market position that he is attempting to protect.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Fritz Vahrenholt, one of Germany's earliest green energy investors, is not convinced that humanity is causing catastrophic global warming.
Global warming: second thoughts of an environmentalist - Telegraph
I am pretty sure he's missing some things that would alter he's amended opinion.

Other than it is now the middle of June, i don't give a ratz azz.
I don't intend to be guilt tripped and pushed around by peeps who are gaining wealth and notoriety by yelling that the sky is falling. If they absolutely taught by example and gave some proof of same i would be (slightly) more amenable.
So many decades of so called "climate scientists or climatologists et al" being proven wrong on so many levels means i have accept "but we are right this time"? Just ONE eg, Al Gore's opportunistic lies are carefully ignored by those who would social engineer us for profit.

Now that being said i know damn well that climate change is a normal progression and if in fact humans have a real serious impact then peeps in the western world can do zilch until those in the eastern world get onboard, take your agenda to the Chinese, Middle East, South Asians, Russians, etc who out number us several hundred to one regarding both population and polluting industries and habits. Green initiatives for us are a sick joke given a world wide context.

As a person who has spent my life being rural and frugal, often of necessity, but mostly just by following family example, i am NOT prepared to go further so citiots can continue to ignore my contribution.
We reuse and recycle nearly everything we touch. Our well water is used sparingly, we grow our own food in the time honored "organic" way. My wife used cloth diapers even long after Pampers became a household name. I have used nearly all second hand lumber for my buildings and used wire for my fences. Used parts in my old vehicle.
As soon as the arrogant urban assholes can say they have done as much for the environment i will sign on.

If advocates of human caused climate change wake up and accept that the burgeoning world population means our demise, they will have to accept some very unpopular "solutions" that do not point to everyone riding bicycles, driving electric cars, and turning off the lights.
There is simply no honesty or cooperation regarding the real problem, just a proliferation of Ostriches.
Ah, so you are against the idea of climate change simply because some people are still polluting? wowAre you against people doing stuff against diabetes because a few others aren't doing stuff about it, too?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

author’s credentials:

Ian Rutherford Plimer is an Australian geologist, professor emeritus of earth sciences at the University of Melbourne, professor of mining geology at the University of Adelaide, and the director of multiple mineral exploration and mining companies. He has published 130 scientific papers, six books and edited the Encyclopedia of Geology.

Born

12 February 1946 (age 67)

Residence

Australia

Nationality

Australian

Fields

Earth Science, Geology, Mining Engineering

Institutions

University of New England,University of Newcastle,University of Melbourne,University of Adelaide

Alma mater

University of New South Wales,Macquarie University

Thesis

The pipe deposits of tungsten-molybdenum-bismuth in eastern Australia (1976)

Notable awards

Eureka Prize (1995, 2002),Centenary Medal (2003), Clarke Medal (2004)

Where Does the Carbon Dioxide Really Come From?
Professor Ian Plimer could not have said it better!
If you've read his book you will agree, this is a good summary.

PLIMER: "Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland . Since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you.

Of course, you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans and all animal life. I know.....it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kids "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cent light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs.....well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.
The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes, FOUR DAYS - by that volcano in Iceland has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud at any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in all its years on earth.
Yes, folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over One year - think about it.

Of course, I shouldn't spoil this 'touchy-feely tree-hugging' moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keeps happening despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.
And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud, but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you, on the basis of the bogus 'human-caused' climate-change scenario.
Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention 'Global Warming'
Anymore, but just 'Climate Change'
- you know why?
It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And, just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer.
It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century
Nope. It's risen by observed 0.9 degrees C.
And, just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer.
It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.
I agree.