Gender re-assignment

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So, what do you think about gender re-assignment? Is it medically necessary in your eyes?
What I think about gender reassignment is that some people feel the necessity and some don't. I don't but I won't condemn anyone who does.
Actually there isn't anything medically necessary in my eyes. My eyes are quite healthy and besides that, are content being the gender they are.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I guess it all depends on whether you are more interested in the short term good of the individual or the long term good of the human race. The more aides and "crutches" we have the weaker the race becomes. It used to be "survival of the fittest" now it's the survival of damn near everyone. The Bible said that man's years shall be three score and ten and maybe there was a good reason for that- who's to say? Now we are getting people living to four score and ten but they aren't any healthier, just gobble more pills.
You sure presume an awful lot. Back when people wrote the Bible 3 score and 10 was probably the age people lived to. I really doubt it had anything to do with how long the Bible says people SHOULD live.
BTW, there are plenty of people that live to their 80s & 90s that don't rely on pills.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Back when people wrote the Bible 3 score and 10 was probably the age people lived to.

I seriously doubt that people lived to the ripe old age of 70 in Biblical times, Gilbert. That was probably put as the upper limit on man’s age. Probably what Bible meant was that everything going right, there being no war, famine, pestilence, plagues etc., a man my live to the age of 70. I assume in those days it was practically unheard of for anybody to live to that age. I have a feeling it was just the way of saying, like we say these days, may you live to be 100 years old.

Now we are getting people living to four score and ten but they aren't any healthier, just gobble more pills.

And that is wrong with that, JLM?

The more aides and "crutches" we have the weaker the race becomes. It used to be "survival of the fittest" now it's the survival of damn near everyone.

That is social Darwinism, JLM. While I support theory of evolution, survival of the fittest in the context of biology, I am not sure that is a good model to follow in terms of sociology.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I guess it all depends on whether you are more interested in the short term good of the individual or the long term good of the human race. The more aides and "crutches" we have the weaker the race becomes. It used to be "survival of the fittest" now it's the survival of damn near everyone. The Bible said that man's years shall be three score and ten and maybe there was a good reason for that- who's to say? Now we are getting people living to four score and ten but they aren't any healthier, just gobble more pills.

No it's still survival of the fittest, but there are so many that are fit enough to survive longer because of what we know and do.
Imagine living in prehistoric times when what we were then lived so short a time that living 40 years would seem quite miraculous.

We live longer because we find ways around some of the things that kill us younger. Accumulated knowledge counts in more ways that just a faster pimpin' hand.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You sure presume an awful lot. Back when people wrote the Bible 3 score and 10 was probably the age people lived to. I really doubt it had anything to do with how long the Bible says people SHOULD live.
BTW, there are plenty of people that live to their 80s & 90s that don't rely on pills.

BTW- there's exceptions to every rule. I wasn't presuming anything.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Now, I understand that I'm a dinosaur, but.......

I agree that if you truely believe that you are a woman trapped inside a man's body (or vice-versa), I do believe that you need a doctor, and I think society should be willing to help pay your doctor bills.

For a psychiatrist, not for a surgeon.

Chromosonal abnormalities being the exception.........

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"I seriously doubt that people lived to the ripe old age of 70 in Biblical times,"- Check your Bible probably Genesis and I think you'll find that Methusilah went to 969 and Moses went to 120 years. I am however a little skeptical about Methusilah, as it was before accurate records were being kept and the same people who witnessed the birth weren't there to witness the death.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
And you are not skeptical about Moses? You are gullible indeed. Indeed, the fact that the Bible made an outrageous claim about Methuselah indicates that its claim abut Moses is probably equally outrageous. The claim of Methuselah living 969 years tells me that Bible is not above making outrageous claims.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now, I understand that I'm a dinosaur, but.......

I agree that if you truely believe that you are a woman trapped inside a man's body (or vice-versa), I do believe that you need a doctor, and I think society should be willing to help pay your doctor bills.

For a psychiatrist, not for a surgeon.

Chromosonal abnormalities being the exception.........

Now that makes more sense to me.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
If enough research is done to guarantee a large percentage of sexual identity procedures - I say go for it - why should a person be kept locked in an unhappy life if there is a medical alternative. I only hope the mind is also explored regarding immense change in thought processing.... but that's another story.

My wish of course if that more stem cell growth and reproduction study is done so that we can regrow limbs, body parts, organs, etc. etc. Now that would be primary in my little list of medical wishes for people on this earth.

I'm even wishing for the restoration or creation of vision for the blind - might as well go the whole way eh?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And you are not skeptical about Moses? You are gullible indeed. Indeed, the fact that the Bible made an outrageous claim about Methuselah indicates that its claim abut Moses is probably equally outrageous. The claim of Methuselah living 969 years tells me that Bible is not above making outrageous claims.

No there exists on record a person who lived to 122, so Moses was within the realm of possibility. :lol::lol: I'm not sure if you've noticed, Sir Rupe, but sometimes I says stuff that I'm not quite 100% sure of- it's a good way of getting responses and livening up the thread. Getting back to the Bible, somewhere (help me out please someone) it says "1000 years is to a day as a day is to 1000 years", so maybe it's all covered.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

When quoting "The Bible" it may be more realistic to look on it as a collection of anecdotes, written by thousands of different authors. Like the present day some people immediately book stuff in their diary and other might wait a few days. Some do it before going to the pub and others after. So maybe if a guy had a heavy day slaying dragons and giants and getting swallowed by whales, his writing skills may not be quite up to snuff.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
My wish of course if that more stem cell growth and reproduction study is done so that we can regrow limbs, body parts, organs, etc. etc. Now that would be primary in my little list of medical wishes for people on this earth.

I'm even wishing for the restoration or creation of vision for the blind - might as well go the whole way eh?

Curiosity, that may be coming. I think nanotechnology may be the answer. Nanotechnology is capable of fantastic things; we don’t yet know its full potential. But I think there is a good chance that nanotechnology may be able to grow parts of the body etc. Indeed, in far future, I can even see nanotechnology being able to change the gender from within, and not from without, as plastic surgery does.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
When quoting "The Bible" it may be more realistic to look on it as a collection of anecdotes, written by thousands of different authors. Like the present day some people immediately book stuff in their diary and other might wait a few days. Some do it before going to the pub and others after. So maybe if a guy had a heavy day slaying dragons and giants and getting swallowed by whales, his writing skills may not be quite up to snuff.

I quite agree, JLM. That is why I take the more fantastic claims by the Bible (resurrection, virgin birth etc.) with a generous pinch of salt.

That also includes claims about longevity etc. One has to examine what was realistic in those days and then see if what the Bible says makes sense.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I quite agree, JLM. That is why I take the more fantastic claims by the Bible (resurrection, virgin birth etc.) with a generous pinch of salt.

That also includes claims about longevity etc. One has to examine what was realistic in those days and then see if what the Bible says makes sense.

Well seriously as far as longevity goes "the three score and ten" is within the realm of reason- the different ages listed are questionable.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Mother Nature needs to be left out of the debate when she clearly f0cks things up in a wide variety of manners so often. There is no such thing as a natural order to the way transgendered are born, any moreso than there is to babies who are born with their hearts outside their chest, or tails. We surgically correct abnormalities all the time, and when it comes to something so incredibly drastic and often fatal, as living with the wrong body, then it is up to medical ethics boards, imo, not Joe Schmoe on the street, to decide what is needed, how successful therapy versus surgery is, and deliver the best possible care they can to that person.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
BTW- there's exceptions to every rule. I wasn't presuming anything.
It's a rule that old people survive on pills? Interesting.
Take a looksee here:

Healthy Years > Life Expectancy statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

and remember those numbers are averages.
People around here seem to live quite lengthy lives in spite of the ridiculous condition of our health services. Quite a few around here in their 90s and some even older.
So I think the exception to the rule is your bunch of people that need gobs of meds to survive.

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Taxpayer funding of Gender Re-assignment?

Or abortion?

Both are expensive with absolutely no benefit, whatsoever to the taxpayer.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Taxpayer funding of Gender Re-assignment?

Or abortion?

Both are expensive with absolutely no benefit, whatsoever to the taxpayer.

Cancer treatment (or any medical treatment for that matter) over the age of 70 doesn't benefit the tax payer either. But we're not about to stop paying for it when the people have paid into the system and are entitled to use it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario still pays for it (I assume so does Quebec). I don't think IVF argument will work in Ontario.
In Ontario it is paid for only if the cause is natural blocked tubes. The science has discovered many other causes and developed many treatments since the writing of that policy, but that's it so far. Ontario is talking about expanding the coverage. Quebec is vowing to start funding soon. One good reason is if it's funded they can limit the amount of embryos and reduce multiples.