Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Who gets shafted more - men or women?

I just bought a suit and accessories. The cheapest suit I could find that one would actually wear cost $250 before tax. Then add a couple of shirts $45 each. Ties? A $55 tie? They go from anywhere between $20 and $55 at Tip Top. That just seems outrageous. $40 for fitting.

Women at the office must have it cheaper than men. There should be a tax on womens clothes to support a clothing tax credit for men. I think everyone can agree on that.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Eh, don't forget that you can buy just one suit, and wear it day after day, just changing shirts and ties. And we, poor women, cannot afford it. We have to have a lot of different clothes. So, it's just more expensive for us, any way :)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We can't get away with day after day in the same suit. We can wear the same shoes until they disintegrate but not the same clothes.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
You've got to be kidding me. Women's clothes can be ridiculously expensive and it's the accessories and underpinnings that can kill the wallet. My bra costs more than your tie. And let's not forget the extra money we have to spend on hair, makeup and dry cleaning costs. Add that to the fact that we make less money than men and you get the picture :)

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
LOL Kreskin $250 is quite cheap for a suit, but the tie yea I agree. The last two I bought for hubby were $65 a piece. I damn near passed out at the checkout, what's with that little strip of fabric being so expensive? Was it hand woven by a rare spider in India? Kreskin a female pays around $260 for a new suit, and the cost of shoes don't get me started. You can wear one pair of shoes with every suit but a female must have 10 pairs of shoes per suit, so she can match the shoes with her shirt. You don't know true suffering.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Well, when shoping with my girlfriend the other day, most female clothes are $5 to $15 less than its amle counterparts.

She wants a nice shirt she can get one, if I were to get an equally quality shirt its usally more expensive. I think its because guys dont really buy as much clothes as chicks do. So its basicly cost by demand, iam guessing.

As for suits I bought a suit for $580 from moores and wore it once. and its pretty ugly.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Women don't have to wear suits or sports jackets in the office. I don't know many who do. Generally something like slacks and a shirt ot sweater that doesn't look like it's used in the garden is good enough.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
Not many jobs these days demand a suit and tie every day! I assume if you have such job the pay is usually sufficient enough to cover the costs of a few suits and ties every year. Personnally I don't own a suit, never will. I am fortunate enough to be able to work in shorts and t-shirts! So for the price of one suit $250+ I can clothe myself for a whole year of work!

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Women don't have to wear suits or sports jackets in the office. I don't know many who do. Generally something like slacks and a shirt ot sweater that doesn't look like it's used in the garden is good enough.

Those are the lucky ones, who can leave for office in the morning, looking like something the cat has brought in. I bet they also don't use make-up or perfume, and their hair and hands look awful. And if you've been brought up to believe that going to your office without stockings even in the hottest summer weather is absolutely improper, then you really have to spend a lot of money just to look good. I consider it very impolite and disrespectful towards one's colleagues to wear one and the same outfit to the office several days running, so I have to change outfits, I have to combine things, to invent something new, to have several pairs of shoes, so that my shoes always match what I wear. Not to mention such things, as handbags, underwear, make-up, manicure, scarves, and some jewellery. Sometimes life is real hard for us, girls who want to look good...

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thata girl V, I agree with you if I can't look "Nice" I'm not leaving the house. Not gonna happen. I own over 100 suits and that isn't enough.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I'm very happy I don't have a job where I have to where the ultimate symbol of phallocracy... The suit and tie.

Right now I work in a job where I interact with kids. Kids don't give a damn what you are wearing and that is great.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
Who gets shafted more - men or women?

I just bought a suit and accessories. The cheapest suit I could find that one would actually wear cost $250 before tax. Then add a couple of shirts $45 each. Ties? A $55 tie? They go from anywhere between $20 and $55 at Tip Top. That just seems outrageous. $40 for fitting.

Women at the office must have it cheaper than men. There should be a tax on womens clothes to support a clothing tax credit for men. I think everyone can agree on that.

Heheh... I disagree with that completely.

It ain't woman's fault that you can't be bothered to get a cheaper tie, or that you need, or feel the need to, have a tie in the first place.

Of course you are just messing around, I think...

Good note on the taxes though. Seems to be the kind of mindset behind a lot of different taxes that are out there in reality.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't have a choice. Amelda Marcos (Sassy) has a choice. 100 suits?

WTF is a phallocracy?

I'm going to email Peter McKay to see if he can get the women's clothing tax on the table.