French Language On Packaging

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Jay/IAmCanadian

I think someone explained it to me about electronic communication in English once but I can't find a backup to cite for my information so it amounts to "hearsay"....

Would Marconi's invention be the precursor to long range communications? Not certain.

It has something to do with the original inventors of sea/air communications - which were apparently accomplished in English as their first speakers. It has become traditional from that point on regardless of who makes the devices now or the craft sea/air.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
unclepercy said:
varanz said:
Hey Guys,

Just wondering do you guys care if packaging has French on it or you do not mind if it only has english?

Do you find it a positive thing if a foriegn company goes the extra length to incorporate the French language on packaging?

What do you think of packaging that has both languages on it?

Thanks guys,

Yours responses are very much appreciated,

Yours Sincerely,

Jonathan W Chan

I do not like packages printed in foreign languages of any kind, nor do I like poor translations from say - Japanese. If an item is marketed in the US, then English should be used. It is not a courtesy to me; it is an annoyance. We rarely see French in marketing - rather it's Spanish. I cannot tell you how aggravating it is to open a large electronics box, and then find the instruction book is in Spanish.

Uncle

I don't like foreign languages either; that's why I like French and English on the packages.

Incidentally, it's not a nice marketing gesture; in Canada, all consumer goods must be labelled in both French and English.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
RE: French Language On Pa

I like French language on packaging. How else would I have exposure to such wonderful words like: PAMPLEMOUSSE!!

That's, like, my favourite word ever!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
iamcanadian said:
Wednesday's Child said:
I believe all transportation, air and sea, international communications are transmitted in English or what passes for English. Why? I have no idea.

This is because English is a simpler language that is easier to learn. French like most of the dead or dying laguages are too cumbersome and complicated with too much enphasis on dscriminating people's level of education and too full of pomp and circumstance that have no value and make the language cumbersome to apply in our fast paced communications of today and the faster days to come.

These are languages geared more to creating and maintaining class distinctions, to hold down parts of the population so elitists can feel superior simply by studing a silly language more than another person did; which concepts are no longer acceptable to most people who prefer to treat all people as equals and avoid inherant discrimination founded on form rather than substance.

Nice theory, sorry but you're wrong.

It's English because the majority of the people setting the rules, and driving international flying, are English speaking.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
I find this to be correct from actual practice and experience. What criteria are you applying other than faith?

People generally don't realize that English is my second language from reading what I write.

Most people highly educated in the French language can tell what school grade others reach based on the usage.

So my "theory" is correct unless you have a better one that some conspiracy theory involving hundreds of millions of people all over the world who all got together and conspired to advance English over French to put down french people. Your theory is far fetched but this is apparently what Quebec and French Canadians have been using to justify apartheid in this country.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Re: RE: French Language On Packaging

iamcanadian said:
I find this to be correct from actual practice and experience. What criteria are you applying other than faith?

People generally don't realize that English is my second language from reading what I write.

Most people highly educated in the French language can tell what school grade others reach based on the usage.

So my "theory" is correct unless you have a better one that some conspiracy theory involving hundreds of millions of people all over the world who all got together and conspired to advance English over French to put down french people. Your theory is far fetched but this is apparently what Quebec and French Canadians have been using to justify apartheid in this country.

I don't think it was a conspiracy, it was simply a decision made by the ICAO. So who cares?

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
French is an inferior language to English for commerce and for efficiency of any form of communication.

People don't need romance and frivousness when dealing with communicating over specific points or making business transactions.

Seducing women is no longer an important activity and people can be more on point without the romancing that the French Language has any advantages. Personally I find Spanish a lot sexier than French because it is similar, but not as arrogant sounding.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
IAmCanadian

Spanish costs too much - in time and paper - and electronic space.

It takes twice as long for a sentence in Spanish either to be written or spoken. People just don't have time for the complexities of it.

Besides it is not that pleasant to listen to - and one has to learn to speak it with a dysfunctional tongue or lisp.

I would not compare Spanish with French ever.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
You are entittled to your opinion, but I personally find girls speaking Spanish way more sexy than French which tends to turn me off because it sounds snobish and arrogant to me.

But that's just me which and may have something to do with my personal experience dealing with certain French Canadians in my life.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Wednesday's Child said:
IAmCanadian
Spanish costs too much - in time and paper - and electronic space.
It takes twice as long for a sentence in Spanish either to be written or spoken. People just don't have time for the complexities of it.
Besides it is not that pleasant to listen to - and one has to learn to speak it with a dysfunctional tongue or lisp.
I would not compare Spanish with French ever.

Spanish is such a beautiful language, very alive and much more malleable then French. Meaning can be expressed very economically. And the swearing?? Poeticly crude to the extreme. It is my favourite lanquage, and so easy to learn.

As to French on packaging, just put at least one box English side facing out on store shelves for the linquisticly disabled. What I like is that if the instructions are destroyed on one side, just flip the box over.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
IAmCanada/PoisonPete

Thanks for your responses - and you are both very loyal to the Spanish language.

We all have our own personal likes and dislikes, and perhaps I favor more formality in speech - not because I think it is superior, but because I wish to preserve it. I am speaking of the English language right now.

I would not like any language which is used to demonstrate some kind of social status - that would not sit well with me. That's old and ugly and reeks of "royal" silliness and insecure snobbery.

English is morphing into a bastard puppy yet again of many tongues...

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Wednesday's Child said:
English is morphing into a bastard puppy yet again of many tongues...

Which is as it should be as we strive for universal understanding, harmony and peace.

Nothing like everyone understanding everyone else to stop hate and hostility.

This is what I love about the English language above all others. It's simplicity and adaptability and ever changing character not fixated on stringent rules that are not adaptable.

This is the primary reason in my opinion that the English language "North American Version" that dominates because it is less discriminating and less structured and therefore more adaptable.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

iamcanadian said:
French is an inferior language to English for commerce and for efficiency of any form of communication.

I'm glad you told us that. its such an important thing to know, it's a wonder that isn't taught elsewhere. One of those secret facts that only the English seem to know.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
One of the reasons for extinction is inability to adapt.

The French language and the various efforts to preserve its purety, rather than allow it to adapt is what causes its extinction.

They kill their own language and then want everyone else to pay to try resurecting it.

The English had a pure language way back when, but North America took it and adapted it and changed it to suit our needs. Had the English of their day made the same efforts to maintain an Arian language and French allowed to adapt then the tables could have been turned. It's no one's fault but their own for wanting to feel superior with an Arian mentality.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Knoss said:
If it's so great why isn't it America's official language?

For two reasons; first, the typical Republican isn't capable of handling two languages. Second, because Halliburton hasn't figured out how to make money from it.