Free will versus determinism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacemonkey

Oct 11, 2010
My will is not free to do otherwise. :(
This is why you should be seeking professional help. Seriously, your behavior is quite disturbing. You are doing exactly the same things in exactly the same way as if you'd never been through it all before. It's as if you've learnt nothing at all from your previous attempts. You receive exactly the same objections every time, and yet you don't anticipate them or develop improved (or even different) responses at all.

Just let it go already. For your own sake. This is not healthy behavior.

Murdock

Oct 11, 2010
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

*sigh* Janis...

peacegirl

Electoral Member
Aug 23, 2010
This is why you should be seeking professional help. Seriously, your behavior is quite disturbing. You are doing exactly the same things in exactly the same way as if you'd never been through it all before. It's as if you've learnt nothing at all from your previous attempts. You receive exactly the same objections every time, and yet you don't anticipate them or develop improved (or even different) responses at all.

Just let it go already. For your own sake. This is not healthy behavior.

It's not true that I have not developed better responses. Furthermore, I believe his premises are a priori based on astute observation and careful reasoning, and can be justified on those grounds. To conclude that there is nothing valuable in this text because I am getting the same reactions on these type forums is placing the cart before the horse. I hope you don't come to this flimsy conclusion because it doesn't prove this knowledge wrong.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

*sigh* Janis...

I agree that doing the same thing over and over is not getting me anywhere (even though there is rhyme to my reason), but for lack of advertising dollars to do more, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. :(

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Albert Einstein

*sigh* Janis...

It's ironic- Five minutes ago I was thinking of posting the same thing, glad you saved me from having to respond to this tiresome thread. :lol:

peacegirl

Electoral Member
Aug 23, 2010
It's ironic- Five minutes ago I was thinking of posting the same thing, glad you saved me from having to respond to this tiresome thread. :lol:

I agree with you JLM, but only because the people in here did not give this knowledge half a chance.

Murdock

Oct 11, 2010

It would serve Janis better to just cut-and-paste her replies from the other forums she has visited, because reading her responses here is tragic deja vu. ;-)

To Janis: It is intellectually dishonest to come here and do exactly the same thing you have done several times on other forums, which is (a) not better preparing yourself for the reactions you KNOW you will get, (b) not trusting that other posters are intelligent enough to understand Lessans' own words, (c) not accepting the possibility that other posters might be more intelligent than Lessans' was, etc.

It's sad, really.

peacegirl

Electoral Member
Aug 23, 2010
It would serve Janis better to just cut-and-paste her replies from the other forums she has visited, because reading her responses here is tragic deja vu. ;-)

To Janis: It is intellectually dishonest to come here and do exactly the same thing you have done several times on other forums, which is (a) not better preparing yourself for the reactions you KNOW you will get, (b) not trusting that other posters are intelligent enough to understand Lessans' own words, (c) not accepting the possibility that other posters might be more intelligent than Lessans' was, etc.

It's sad, really.

Murdock, I remember you very well. How have you been? Just want you to know that people have already googled everything they can about me, but what does this prove? Nothing at all. Imagine if Thomas Edison took the opinions of the masses, who didn't grasp what he was demonstrating, and as a result he lost confidence in his conclusions. We would still be in the dark. I will do everything not to let that happen to Lessans, even though talking on forums is the wrong way to go because there is a psychological dynamic at work. In response to your criticism, a) I have prepared myself for people's responses to the best of my ability. I am always trying to improve my communication skills. b) I never said that people are not intelligent enough to understand Lessans own words. In fact, the reason I came to these forums was because I believe these philosophers are very capable of understanding this discovery, and still do. 3) This is not a matter of who is more intelligent than whom. This is not a competition. This is an effort to bring important knowledge to light; that's all.

Last edited:

Spacemonkey

Oct 11, 2010
I will do everything not to let that happen to Lessans, even though talking on forums is the wrong way to go.
You were saying this exact same thing years ago! So why do you keep doing something that you know doesn't work? And why do you keep doing it in exactly the same way?

peacegirl

Electoral Member
Aug 23, 2010
You were saying this exact same thing years ago! So why do you keep doing something that you know doesn't work? And why do you keep doing it in exactly the same way?

Spacemonkey, how many ways can a person explain one plus one equals two? I am trying in every which way to clarify these concepts. Just because I have not found the best way yet, does not make these concepts inaccurate. Have you read the entire book? Here is the address again just in case the mood happens to strike you:

http://www.unco.edu/philosophy/current/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=5

Spacemonkey

Oct 11, 2010
Spacemonkey, how many ways can a person explain one plus one equals two? I am trying in every which way to clarify these concepts. Just because I have not found the best way yet, does not make these concepts inaccurate. Have you read the entire book? Here is the address again just in case the mood happens to strike you:

Philosophy | University of Northern Colorado - The Agora

Apparently replying to you in any way only encourages you. Please seek help, Janis. You really need to just let this nonsense go.

For anyone else reading this, I recommend you take a look at her previous "New Discovery" threads archived in the Pseudoscience forum at the Freethought & Rationalism Discussion Board (freeratioDOTorg) to see just how impervious to reason Janis really is.

peacegirl

Electoral Member
Aug 23, 2010
Apparently replying to you in any way only encourages you. Please seek help, Janis. You really need to just let this nonsense go.

For anyone else reading this, I recommend you take a look at her previous "New Discovery" threads archived in the Pseudoscience forum at the Freethought & Rationalism Discussion Board (freeratioDOTorg) to see just how impervious to reason Janis really is.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe that you are using the responses by DancingWithCoffeeCups and others as a standard to judge this work. Now you are acting just like the rest, with the same herd mentality. That saddens me. So I guess you've said what you needed to say. I really don't think anyone is interested in your suggestion. But if this discovery is proven to be right, then everyone will flock to these archives.

Last edited:

Spacemonkey

Oct 11, 2010
Oh my gosh, I can't believe that you are using the responses by DancingWithCoffeeCup and others as a standard to judge this work.
Get a grip, Janis. I'm not asking anyone to judge Lessans' work by anyone else's responses. I'm asking people to take a look at YOUR past posting history before wasting their time trying to talk any sense into you.

peacegirl

Electoral Member
Aug 23, 2010
Get a grip, Janis. I'm not asking anyone to judge Lessans' work by anyone else's responses. I'm asking people to take a look at YOUR past posting history before wasting their time trying to talk any sense into you.

But don't you see that that is a false method of judging someone's work, especially when no one in that forum actually read the book? Don't you see the flaw here? Spacemonkey, first of all I am not sure who told you to come here and try to convince people not to talk to me? This thread was over long ago. Ironically, it is YOU who is stirring up the very discussion you are telling people to avoid. I know you are much more logical than that. In fact, I thank you for trying to explain a priori to me. You were sincere in teaching me what this word meant, and I do appreciate that. I learned a lot from that thread, even though the whole discussion revolved around the eyes and light. I think I confused things because Lessans said that, according to his observations, no images were reflected at all, nor did he believe that the photons (i.e. the basket itself; was it you who gave that analogy?) were converted into images in the brain. That's why he said 'time' was not involved in sight, as it is in hearing. But that's past history. I am more interested in explaining why man's will is not free and what this means for all mankind.

Spacemonkey

Oct 11, 2010
But don't you see that that is a false method of judging someone's work...
No. Examining YOUR past posting behavior is an entirely legitimate means of judging YOUR inability to engage in anything even approaching rational thought when it comes to discussing this material which has such a disturbing hold over your mind. Good bye, Janis.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This thread as it was active on this forum, with members from this forum,
died a natural death 3 weeks ago.

As such, the moderation here has chosen to close this topic, and invites its
participants to either branch out and participate in one of our many other
threads, or alternatively, return to the forums from which this personal
battle arose.

Any further discourse on this book, or commentary on this thread in a
new thread, will not be tolerated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.