France starts ban on full-face veil

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Is that code for-head for the sugar bush when it all goes down?
Shhhhhhhhh, yes...

Just wanna be in the loop. :)
No worries, we'll need people like you. When operation "Moose Poop" goes down, we'll need all the smart ones on our team.

Every province has fir trees. We are the toilet paper republic.
That will work out great with operation "Moose Poop".

We'll start by TP'ing Parliament Hill. Considering it's full of assholes, seems appropriate.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Shhhhhhhhh, yes...

No worries, we'll need people like you. When operation "Moose Poop" goes down, we'll need all the smart ones on our team.

That will work out great with operation "Moose Poop".

We'll start by TP'ing Parliament Hill. Considering it's full of assholes, seems appropriate.
Excellent!

Count me in to operation oose-may oop-pay! (They'll get nothing outa me!)

:)

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, but I think it eventually all comes down what is possible vs what is probable.

Any parliament that tried to invoke serious legislation that repressed all the rights under section 2 would be committing political suicide. Heck, they're almost killing each other now across the floor of the House of Commons, I can't imagine an opposition party that wouldn't take something like that and absolutely run with it.

Run with it?They could all be arrested and shot without cause or trial and it wouldn't violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Yeah, it's unlikely, but why is it even possible?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Run with it?They could all be arrested and shot without cause or trial and it wouldn't violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Yeah, it's unlikely, but why is it even possible?
Why is it possible? So as to appease the provinces so they would sign on and patriate the constitution. To what real end? Who knows. Ultimately the bottom line is that it really is the equivalent of getting the meanest, nastiest dog to guard your home, then performing a full dental extraction. Lots of bark but no real bite.

Or perhaps a more appropriate analogy would be to say it is like giving the government of the day the keys to the vault that holds all our riches, but then blanketing the only escape route with landmines. Realitively easy getting in, very difficult getting out.

The Canadian Bill of Rights, which the Charter replaced, also had a not withstanding clause but that applied to all the rights set out in the bill, so one could even argue, perhaps, that the clause in the Charter is an improvement.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nah, I don't like any of those analogies. Analogies are supposed to make things easier to understand. Those are just confusing. I think the literal interpretation is easy enough.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms gives the government the power to take our rights and freedoms. What more is there to say?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is appropriate. Firstly, you can't have people walking around, wandering into markets or stores etc with there faces covered, concealed from their security cameras.

So the only real practical application for this is security then?

Because we can ban a lot more than burkas if that's the case.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
While I agree wholeheartedly with the premise of freedom of religion, not all of islam beleives that the burka is required so I beleive its a regional custom more than a religious edict.

I have to go and vote next week because I will be out of town on May second and even though some of the people at the early voting site have known me for years I will still have to show a photo ID to be able to vote.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
While I agree wholeheartedly with the premise of freedom of religion, not all of islam beleives that the burka is required so I beleive its a regional custom more than a religious adict.
That's why it's a matter of freedom of expression.

I have to go and vote next week because I will be out of town on May second and even though some of the people at the early voting site have known me for years I will still have to show a photo ID to be able to vote.
So do I, but I might wear a burqa, just for sh!ts and giggles. There's nothing funnier then a transgendered bear, in a burqa...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I do not believe that any woman wearing a full-face veil belongs in my country.

At the same time, I believe in personal liberty.

Best comment yet on the subject....

'Ugh," said an acquaintance, looking at two shrouded figures scurry by in downtown Toronto. "Is there anything you dislike more than the niqab?"
"Yes: Banning it," I replied.
Freedom is a funny thing. Everybody is for it, until some start doing things others don't like -such as covering their faces with pieces of cloth. The moment that happens, the number of freedomloving people is drastically reduced.

France's wardrobe-policy malfunction

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I do appreciate the French attitudes that if you don't like it here we can accomodate you and send you back to your country of origin. By the way please don't come back here because if you do the population at Devils Island may get out of hand. Oh, do you know how to swim also? The Australians have the same principled approach. Now I hear that Germany is giving this question another look too.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'm not in favour of govts here passing laws against the burka, not that they would. But any business should get no trouble from anyone restricting service to people who cover their faces. A face covering is anti-modern and against democracy. Democracy encourages openness and transparency. Democracy and equality has not been around for very long, in the 19th century, Britain had rotten boroughs with only a few voters.

Time for a little push back against medieval traditions that no longer have any place in the modern world. Democracy has a price and it takes work to preserve and improve it. The burka retards democracy and freedom.