FP: Northern Gateway hearings in Alberta cancelled after failing to draw participants

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well there must be some sort of plan and set of regulations being met. What is the fee? How can anyone protest one without protesting the other?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't see the big deal. I'm all for the pipeline with the proviso that any oil spilled from it anywhere is cleaned up and the damage to the neighborhood of the spill repaired by AB or the company for the decades to follow.
As far as the money goes, lease the land the pipeline's on for an appropriate sum. Leases are good for up to 30 years.

The province of Alberta shouldn't have to pay for any spills in BC: the company who owns and operates the line should be responsible (be it Enbridge or anyone else who builds a pipeline). In the end, the gov't of BC can set their own fees and conditions on any leases they grant (as any land owner can, within reason) as pipeline right of way.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Anyone who under estimates the BC folks when they get a burr in their bonnet
should think again. Look what happened to the HST and watch what happens
to the BC Liberals for doing what they did. This project is going to be squashed
if citizens and natives and environmentalists and old folks who just plain don't
want it.
What has happened? In the last decade public opinion says environment first
jobs second. The backdrop to that, people want jobs but not the kind that will
be presently available. In addition, people in BC don't want tankers floating oil
through the inland waters. Christi Clarke is not really fighting Alberta she is now
looking for a way out of supporting the project because her political hide depends
on it. Dix has already said, he is opposed and he will likely win the next election.
The Feds have something to lose here too. BC is a funny place, if the Feds push
this they could be on the angry end of the political stick in a few years.

This project may well falter and I think it will die on the vine. An energy strategy
is required to run east and west so we don't need to import oil and that will mean
we will be using our own product.
This pipeline is in serious trouble left and right are moving to an unfavourable view
of the project.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
to the BC Liberals for doing what they did. This project is going to be squashed
if citizens and natives and environmentalists and old folks who just plain don't
want it.
be presently available. In addition, people in BC don't want tankers floating oil
through the inland waters. Christi Clarke is not really fighting Alberta she is now
looking for a way out of supporting the project because her political hide depends
on it. Dix has already said, he is opposed and he will likely win the next election.

This project may well falter and I think it will die on the vine. An energy strategy
is required to run east and west so we don't need to import oil and that will mean
This pipeline is in serious trouble left and right are moving to an unfavourable view
of the project.

Things aren't always what they seem! :smile:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
want it.

of the project.
Tricky Dix is quite prepared to sacrifice a few thousand votes from the union faithful in hopes of scoring big with the greens. In all probability he won't even loose that many since many of the dipper faithful will just blindly spread their butt cheeks and vote against their best interests.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
want it.

of the project.

Things aren't always what they seem! :smile:

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Tricky Dix is quite prepared to sacrifice a few thousand votes from the union faithful in hopes of scoring big with the greens. In all probability he won't even loose that many since many of the dipper faithful will just blindly spread their butt cheeks and vote against their best interests.

You should understand that whatever strategy we as a province or country adopt there will be jobs involved.I am pretty sure that unions have a handle on that kind of information. Another thing to factor into an energy jobs strategy is that sustainable energy has more employment than non-renewable megaprojects.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Another thing to factor into an energy jobs strategy is that sustainable energy has more employment than non-renewable megaprojects.
And that is why alternate energy is 3X times more expensive .

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
And that is why alternate energy is 3X times more expensive .

I think you just made that up. We haven't even come to terms about what the oil economy and tarsands energy in particular is costing us. Unless you have some more in depth numbers to compare them and the renewables?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You should understand that whatever strategy we as a province or country adopt there will be jobs involved.I am pretty sure that unions have a handle on that kind of information. Another thing to factor into an energy jobs strategy is that sustainable energy has more employment than non-renewable megaprojects.

Then lets start building site C.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think you just made that up. We haven't even come to terms about what the oil economy and tarsands energy in particular is costing us. Unless you have some more in depth numbers to compare them and the renewables?
No. I didn't just make that up. If you're going to push something, you might want to know the ins and outs of it.

I guees copper mines and smelts it'self?

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Then lets start building site C.

Why would we do that? it's just another megaproject whose cost we haven't come to terms with. Unless you can figure a way to make the Peace Valley somewhere else then it isn't even renewable is it?

No. I didn't just make that up. If you're going to push something, you might want to know the ins and outs of it.

Excellent point. And exactly what the ecology/economy lobby is trying to get across to the various governments involved in the Northern Gateway proposal.

And what is your point?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Why would we do that? it's just another megaproject whose cost we haven't come to terms with. Unless you can figure a way to make the Peace Valley somewhere else then it isn't even renewable is it?

You're the one that wants renewables remember? What is more renewable than water? As long as it rains the reservoir will refill.
The alternative is Nu Clear and that is a non starter in BC even among taxpayers never mind you freeloaders that don't want any economic activity.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quote: Originally Posted by petros
And what is your point?

How do you plan on going to alternative without mining and smelting? You are aware that mining an smelting blow the oil industry out of the water for enviro issues didn't you? You knew that each wind genny requires 1500lbs of copper? Where is that going to come from?

Oh yeah...you (or anyone for that matter) never did say how a bitumen spil can equal a crude oil spill.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
You're the one that wants renewables remember? What is more renewable than water? As long as it rains the reservoir will refill.
The alternative is Nu Clear and that is a non starter in BC even among taxpayers never mind you freeloaders that don't want any economic activity.

I have to assume that you missed the point of my comment about the Peace River Valley. Let's see if you can tell us how the largest and most important resource used in a proposal like Site C, the valley, is going to be renewed.

The alternatives are quite clear. They are conservation and efficiency, wind and wave, geothermal and ocean thermal, tide and small hydro. The trouble is that freeloaders like you want cheap energy and are willing to sacrifice the rest of us to get it. Well my son, that ain't cheap.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros

How do you plan on going to alternative without mining and smelting? You are aware that mining an smelting blow the oil industry out of the water for enviro issues didn't you? You knew that each wind genny requires 1500lbs of copper? Where is that going to come from?

Oh yeah...you (or anyone for that matter) never did say how a bitumen spil can equal a crude oil spill.

I have seen the answer to your ridiculous and rhetorical question about smelting at least twice already. The fact that you can't see what is politely and generously given to you is an indication that you aren't interested, naturally enough, and as a result, you also aren't interesting.

And since this is the first time that anyone has brought up the question of how a bitumen spill equal a crude spill, I'm not surprised that noone has provided you with an answer. If you are really interested, and I doubt it, you could see if you could find an answer to your wholly irrelevant point.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The alternatives are quite clear. They are conservation and efficiency, wind and wave, geothermal and ocean thermal, tide and small hydro. The trouble is that freeloaders like you want cheap energy and are willing to sacrifice the rest of us to get it. Well my son, that ain't cheap.

I have seen the answer to your ridiculous and rhetorical question about smelting at least twice already. The fact that you can't see what is politely and generously given to you is an indication that you aren't interested, naturally enough, and as a result, you also aren't interesting.

And since this is the first time that anyone has brought up the question of how a bitumen spill equal a crude spill, I'm not surprised that noone has provided you with an answer. If you are really interested, and I doubt it, you could see if you could find an answer to your wholly irrelevant point.
Clear as a mud. All listed are all excessivly expensive, inefficient. and unreliable. If they were cheap, efficient and reliable, they'd be everywhere like cell towers and Tim Hortons.

Twice already? So why hasn't it sunk in? You're stubborn or just stupid?

The energy needed to build all this expensive, inefficient and unreliable crap is going to come from where? Fossil fuesls? When your pipe dreams rely on fossil fuels to become a half baked reality, you have a huge problem.

I already know the answer to the question of which is far far easier to clean up. Do you?