Forum members opinion poll

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My point is that I don't think anybody knew before they got the tax forms that first 1000 $ was not eligible for any tax credit whatever. If somebody spent 1300 $, the expectation would be that he would get tax credit for 1300$, and not for 300$.

Why wouldn't anyone know? It was announced with the program. If selective hearing came into play, that isn't really a fault of the program.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Am I the only one who notices that all threads break down to two topics, blaming the religious right for everything and everybody else' opinion of SJP. It seems that we can't go past two pages on any thread without going to these two topics.

Getting back to the OP: no band aid fix will straighten out the mess our political system is in. All political parties have become twisted into the fabric of a corrupted and irretrievable system of corruption and self interest. Until we can see that we all prosper or perish as a whole, that survival is a group activity, we will continue down this road of self destruction.

"No man is an Island". The individual is a myth. We are all interconnected and interdependent. In the present system, no one is successful unless it is at the expense of another. Our political system is a reflection of that mentality.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh yeah. Let's get after Paul Martin and the Liberals. Martin was handed a huge deficit by the Conservatives. and the country was broke. Sure, some services were cut. What else do you do if you don't have the money? The first forty billion dollars in taxes goes just to pay the interest on Mulrony's debt. Think what that forty billion could do for health care or our military.

Yeah, like you #Juan, I used to think Martin was a hero, but I beginning to see the light, he can stand a little scrutiny, mind you he is nowhere near the rogues Mulroney and Trudeau were. But he's no choir boy either.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Am I the only one who notices that all threads break down to two topics, blaming the religious right for everything and everybody else' opinion of SJP. It seems that we can't go past two pages on any thread without going to these two topics.

Getting back to the OP: no band aid fix will straighten out the mess our political system is in. All political parties have become twisted into the fabric of a corrupted and irretrievable system of corruption and self interest. Until we can see that we all prosper or perish as a whole, that survival is a group activity, we will continue down this road of self destruction.
Cliffy that is cynical garbage. Canada is one of the best run democracies in the world, and the world, generally agrees that Canada is the best country to live in. Sure we have our faults. What country doesn't?

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Like Martin? Stabbed the provinces in the back and cut healthcare and education while giving his rich buddies nice presents. You sure have an extremely bad (or extremely short) memory.

lol That's exactly what Martin did. If I remember correctly, he is a Liberal and was Liberal when he was Finance Minister and PM.

Gilbert - I am all for reducing equalization payments to the provinces. I am glad Martin did it. I am upset that the first thing Harper did was ramp it back up. Equalization, while good in theory, is flawed in practice, and needs to be phased out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Indeed, that is the problem with conservatives. They don't want to cut any services (well, they won't mind cutting some for the poor) and they also want tax cuts. People here are tickled pink that they are getting handouts from Harper, the fact that he is borrowing the money from other people, bothers them not in the least.

No cuts to services and tax cuts. What is the inevitable outcome? Why, huge deficits, of course. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

I for one, admire Martin's guts. His goal was to balance the budget and he didn't care if it caused some hardship. Balancing budget is never a painless process. Indeed, if a government claims to have balanced the budget without causing any pain, that probably means that they did it with smoke and mirrors.

Right on there, Francis. One of the problems with taxes is it's a double edged sword. For every dollar the Gov't is collecting in taxes they probably spend 10 or 15 cents just to get it and then double check every one's account, send out dunners to non compliers, charge and prosecute a few and then feed and house a few in Her Majesty's establishment. Better just to let us have the money we'll spend it keeping the same number employed doing something useful as the bureaucrat sitting in offices in Surrey and Ottawa.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Gilbert - I am all for reducing equalization payments to the provinces. I am glad Martin did it. I am upset that the first thing Harper did was ramp it back up. Equalization, while good in theory, is flawed in practice, and needs to be phased out.
Fine by me. In which case, however, the feds give up power over the provinces.
I'm not glad Martin screwed healthcare and education.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah a lot of Liberal (and Martin) supporters have short memories when it comes to things like the $10 billion gun registry that now has all abiding citizen's guns registered.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Link?
I wouldn't be surprised that if we ever were #1 that the Gliberals would've been in power. They've had more time in the PMO to screw the country than the Cons.

Canada,The World's Best Country To Live In

"For almost a decade (up to the year 2001), Canada was ranked number one among 175 countries in the United Nation's Quality of Life survey."

Oh - just MOST of when Chretien was in power.....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy that is cynical garbage. Canada is one of the best run democracies in the world, and the world, generally agrees that Canada is the best country to live in. Sure we have our faults. What country doesn't?

Fallacy number one "we live in a democracy." Fallacy number two, "Canada is a country." Canada is a corporation, registered in the US of Aggression, bought and sold on the New York stock exchange. Our SIN number makes us property of that corporation, an asset. Or more correctly a slave of the corporation, whose sole purpose is to pay the fruits of our labour into the corporation coffers. Freedom and democracy are an illusion and like in the Matrix, nothing more than programming.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Fine by me. In which case, however, the feds give up power over the provinces.
I'm not glad Martin screwed healthcare and education.

Martin cut transfers to the provinces - over which the feds have no control over where they spend it. The provinces could have raised to taxes, or cut spending, to cover this reduction. Instead they cut education and healthcare. That was THEIR choice - not Martin;s,

Since they had no political back-bone I'm not saying he's blameless - but local Provincial governments are just as much - if not more - to blame.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Taxes in Canada are already high to pay for all the spending that went on in Trudeau's day (yes and Mulroney's too but everyone on this forum tends to forget the law of inertia applies in politics almost as as in physics). I don't see much benefit in raising them much more because it WILL encourage those with ability/ideas/capital to seek their fortunes elsewhere.

Programs cuts are a must but the issue is where to cut from. In some ways I differ in approaching one of the sacred cows of our society, namely seniors programs. Seniors have already gotten more out of the CPP than anyone following them will, and they are also the ones responsible for voting in the authors of the current problems that besiege the country. The debt and deficit weren't born after Harper and the CPC took office...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Canada,The World's Best Country To Live In

"For almost a decade (up to the year 2001), Canada was ranked number one among 175 countries in the United Nation's Quality of Life survey."

Oh - just MOST of when Chretien was in power.....
Cool. Personally I think when people have rated Canada as a good place to live, it is a good place to live IN SPITE of its politics.

Here's one for the Cons. We've slipped from 5th to 9th since last year:
2010 Quality of Life Index