Former Brazilian soccer star: Don't come to the Rio Olympics

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
no kidding.

(CNN)With the Olympics set to begin in less than three months in Rio de Janeiro, one of Brazil's most successful soccer players has a surprisingly ominous message for international visitors: Stay away.

Brazil is getting "more ugly," said Rivaldo, who was on the country's 2002 World Cup-winning squad, forming part of a lethal attacking trio with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

Rivaldo warned people on social media about the violence plaguing the city, citing the killing of a 17-year-old girl over the weekend.
The message is likely to frustrate the country's leaders, who have been trying to dispel the notion that Brazil is not ready for the games and Rio is not safe for tourists.

mo obviousness

Rivaldo: Don't come to the Rio de Janeiro Olympics - CNN.com

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. What a formidable trio they were. There have been some great Brazil teams down the years.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As for the Rio Olympics, I'm looking forward to them. What better city, other than London, to host the Olympics?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Basketball? Baseball?

Football, obviously. The national religion of Brazil is football. Even four year olds in Brazil can do 100 keepie uppies without the ball touching the floor. Had Ronaldho, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo been basketball or baseball players then they wouldn't be worshipped in Brazil as living gods.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
no kidding.

(CNN)With the Olympics set to begin in less than three months in Rio de Janeiro, one of Brazil's most successful soccer players has a surprisingly ominous message for international visitors: Stay away.

Brazil is getting "more ugly," said Rivaldo, who was on the country's 2002 World Cup-winning squad, forming part of a lethal attacking trio with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

Rivaldo warned people on social media about the violence plaguing the city, citing the killing of a 17-year-old girl over the weekend.
The message is likely to frustrate the country's leaders, who have been trying to dispel the notion that Brazil is not ready for the games and Rio is not safe for tourists.

mo obviousness

Rivaldo: Don't come to the Rio de Janeiro Olympics - CNN.com

With all the political turmoil, the outbreak of the zika virus and the polluted conditions where many of the water sports will take place, I have to agree with Rivaldo. I really don't want our Canadian athletes anywhere near this country.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Football, obviously. The national religion of Brazil is football. Even four year olds in Brazil can do 100 keepie uppies without the ball touching the floor. Had Ronaldho, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo been basketball or baseball players then they wouldn't be worshipped in Brazil as living gods.
And you approve of this? Interesting attitude for a soi-disant Christian.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As for the Rio Olympics, I'm looking forward to them. What better city, other than London, to host the Olympics?

I normally look forward to the Olympics too, Blackleaf - no matter the host country - but not this time. I have been very worried about the fate of our athletes in Rio - and not during their events. Seriously, BL aren't you the least bit worried about sending the best of British athleticism to a country in such turmoil and a city with numerous health problems?

I do wonder what the people living in these slums are thinking as they gaze down upon those gleaming towers where the best of the best will be displaying their prowess - knowing that where they sit now is as close as they may ever get to participating in the games.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They don't look like football players. Soccer maybe.

The Brazilians (and Portuguese) call it "futebol" - which derives from the English word "football."

The term for the actuall football itself in Portuguese is "bola de futebol."

Seriously, BL aren't you the least bit worried about sending the best of British athleticism to a country in such turmoil and a city with numerous health problems?

No, not in the slightest. I remember we had all this in the lead up to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa when people were talking about the huge murder rate there and asking is it wise to send all those footballers down there. People were predicting the tournament would be a boomtime for criminals. Instead, the tournament went off peacefully and was a success.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

London is the greatest city in the world and the 2012 London Olympics are the best Olympics so far.

Rio de Janeiro is probably the most beautiful city in the world, with the soapstone statue of Christ the Redeemer standing proudly on Corcovado mountain overlooking the city; Copacabana beach; the mighty bowl of the world famous Maracana football stadium, which once had a 200,000 capacity and where the opening and closing ceremonies of Rio 2016 will take place.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Too many people. The smells alone are enough to gag a maggot. The fragrance of the desert during monsoon season is lovely . A wonderful place to hold athletic events without the aroma of miliions of flatulent Limeys slinking around.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Too many people. The smells alone are enough to gag a maggot. The fragrance of the desert during monsoon season is lovely . A wonderful place to hold athletic events without the aroma of miliions of flatulent Limeys slinking around.

A lotta hate in that post.

London is the greatest city in the world and the 2012 London Olympics are the best Olympics so far.

The US crushed the Eingrish in London. You suck at the Olympics, both playing and hosting.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
I wouldn't want to.send our athletes to Brazil. How we hear the stories about the lack of ticket sales,sounds like the rest of the world agrees. Also that the rowers are in danger of catching a disease from getting a mouthful of crap (from the water) while competing

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Rio de Janeiro is probably the most beautiful city in the world, with the soapstone statue of Christ the Redeemer standing proudly on Corcovado mountain overlooking the city; Copacabana beach; the mighty bowl of the world famous Maracana football stadium, which once had a 200,000 capacity and where the opening and closing ceremonies of Rio 2016 will take place.

You forgot to mention all the high-end apartments like these. Open your eyes, BL.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
How we hear the stories about the lack of ticket sales...
Everything else aside we always hear about lack of ticket sales-then miraculously venues appear full.

FWIW-I know of a group that has travelled to every summer Olympics on a budget since the 80's they never have rooms or tickets booked in advance and they rarely miss anything they're interested in-their success can be attributed to being resourceful and flexible.