Forced troop worship and compulsory patriotism must end

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
most people fall into the 'hero' mentality fostered by media and governments often times. there are those that enlist, serve, die in battle, behave bravely and then we have those Victoria Cross and Medal of Valor recipients. if everyone else were a 'hero' then by god what were those people?

My grandfather joined the huge numbers of other men in the first war. it was part political marketing, rah-rah nationalism, part financial necessity for some, true desire to kill huns for others. wouldn't call him a hero but he was brave and ballsy for signing up even though the men didn't really know what was going on over there.

I won't sully the useage in the same manner folks (smarmy celebs and mediatypes come to mind) say they 'love' you, when obviously they don't. but when a term is overused, it loses meaning.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Now agree totally with the article and do not see worshipping a uniform.

The difference between the Tower of London Poppies is it was the last war Canadians and Americans fought for freedom, the rest of the wars fought after the Second World were for gain of one sort or another.

The Tower of London Poppies represent those who served in the last war begun for world freedom. The wars that are perpetrated to impose morals, religion, or simply to gain control of assets, do not qualify as honorable wars and those serving have to be judged individually by their actions not the uniforms they wear; just as civilians are.

What honor do rapists, murderers of innocent civilians in the name of freedom deserve?...nada, rein, none. I imagine it would be really tough for an honorable man, believing the patriotic drivel when enlisting, to find they have been duped once again by greedy and self-serving politicians.

How must they feel being forced into behaving more like invading barbarians to conquer people rather than free them? Does degeneration of moral values occur? Seems so in retrospect to me.

I'll say again:

A year from now at the next Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day, and a year after that at the next ones, and a year after that at the next ones, and so on and so on and so on, people all around the world will remember those brave young men (and it is mostly young men) who gave their lives for their freedoms, and in the Commonwealth we'll go on wearing poppies to remember those brave young men who gave their lives for our freedoms. These brave men will continue to be remembered year after year after year after year by a grateful public. But, on the other hand, those ungrateful out-of-touch Lefties, like that arsehole in the OP and that Guardian columnist who attacked the Tower of London's brilliant poppy installation, will soon be quickly forgotten about. A year or two from now nobody will remember these Left-wing imbeciles. They would have faded into obscurity, whilst Britian's brave troops and those of other countries will continue to be remembered and thanked year after year.

This whole thread will be quickly forgotten about this time next year when we next give thanks to those young men who gave their lives for their country.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
I'll say again:

A year from now at the next Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day, and a year after that at the next ones, and a year after that at the next ones, and so on and so on and so on, people all around the world will remember those brave young men (and it is mostly young men) who gave their lives for their freedoms, and in the Commonwealth we'll go on wearing poppies to remember those brave young men who gave their lives for our freedoms. These brave men will continue to be remembered year after year after year after year by a grateful public. But, on the other hand, those ungrateful out-of-touch Lefties, like that arsehole in the OP and that Guardian columnist who attacked the Tower of London's brilliant poppy installation, will soon be quickly forgotten about. A year or two from now nobody will remember these Left-wing imbeciles. They would have faded into obscurity, whilst Britian's brave troops and those of other countries will continue to be remembered and thanked year after year.

This whole thread will be quickly forgotten about this time next year when we next give thanks to those young men who gave their lives for their country.
They gave their lives alright but not for freedom or for their country. Is our country (Canada) in need of young men giving their lives for anything less than an invasion of our country? In my opinion NO.

Of course, I remember our veterans and I give generously...... but in recent years, with great regret. Our government now uses our young people as political fodder and for personal ego boosting. As for that so called "out of touch leftie or arsehole" as you call him, he is the rare voice of reason in a war mad world.

Do you think going into Iraq once again to correct the errors of the first invasion is either right or reasonable?? Because if you do, and if there are many like you, there is no hope EVER of a peaceful world. It is up to such arseholes like the OP to bring sanity and reason to bear..

Giving a few bucks yearly to the veterans is not nearly enough payment for allowing our politicians to treat those who have chosen to serve, despicably. First by sending them unprepared into battles we had no business in and secondly for the treatment given them on their return wounded both physically and mentally. If a person involves himself in a marital dispute, he gets what he deserves, and if a country involves itself in a dispute between the rulers of a country and it's citizens, then they will pay a similar cost.

Nothing unites humans more than interference in either a personal or political relationship from an outsider.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This guy is just one of those miserable lefties that hates that the attention is on those he detests so much and most likely believes attention should be on him. Alas he is obscure and if not for this forum I would not have even read this.

Men and women who serve in the military are the last ones to call themselves heroes. Even those who display courage in battle often defer courage to those in their unit in particular the ones who perished.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'll say again:

Must not feel too confident about it if you feel the need to say it 'again' in less than 2 pages of a thread.

You never know when an old thread will pop up again. Could be next year, or five years, hell maybe even ten if the site is still around.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
No matter what battle a imbecilic government sends those poor young people into we simply give lip service and perhaps a bit of monetary help and that's it!! How depressing.

Oh, I remember when the poor buggers came back from Vietnam, they were treated as pariahs by much of the public. The vets of that war took the blame for it, as if they had a choice whether they went or not!! I am sure most veterans would prefer to have physical and mental needs taken care of instead of being noticed one day a year. I get so disgusted with those who feel praise for service one day a year makes up for what ended or changed their lives for the worst.

Surely it is time to make governments more accountable for their choices?? Heaping praise on the victims of battle is right. But shouldn't Remembrance Day also be the time to work on how to avoid making more such victims.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As a boy my father once told me its better to be quiet and have people think you are
stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
I wonder what this guy would say if he landed on the beach on D Day or fought in
Ortona Italy during that battle in 1943?
People like this who make comment sitting in their peaceful little world are the reason
we as a society end up doing it again. Today we are hearing oh its just a fight over
there. Well over there effects here and if we let it get out of hand it gets worse
My father did say though "the real hero's are the guys who didn't make it the rest of us
just did our jobs"