Flotilla of 50 'little ships' make journey from Ramsgate to Dunkirk 75 years on

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
They lost the Philippines...like the Canucks lost Hong Kong.

The Canucks arrived in Hong Kong a couple of weeks before the Japanese did, to help reinforce the British garrison, there. They weren't even all there. There was a ship full of guns, munitions behind then that did not make it in time before the invasion.

The Americans were driven out of the Philippines after a half century occupation of the place, going back to the Spanish American war.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England and France declared war on the Germans after the Germans invaded Poland

No. Britain and France did. Of course, no declaration of war would have come about had Germany not invaded Poland. They started WWII by invading Poland.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
England and France declared war on the Germans after the Germans invaded Poland

The Germans knew full well that the exact thing was going to happen. Do you think that we should have stayed neutral and not declared war against Japan after Pearl Harbour?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Canucks arrived in Hong Kong a couple of weeks before the Japanese did, to help reinforce the British garrison, there. They weren't even all there. There was a ship full of guns, munitions behind then that did not make it in time before the invasion.

but but but...quit stumbling... you were there.

Can't have it both ways kiddo.

The Americans were driven out of the Philippines after a half century occupation of the place, going back to the Spanish American war.

Driven to where?

No. Britain and France did. Of course, no declaration of war would have come about had Germany not invaded Poland. They started WWII by invading Poland.

The Soviets invaded Poland at the same time.

No war was declared on them.

Gee I wonder why.

The Germans knew full well that the exact thing was going to happen. Do you think that we should have stayed neutral and not declared war against Japan after Pearl Harbour?

We handled Japan... but it was a nice gesture. lol

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Soviets invaded Poland at the same time.

No war was declared on them.

Gee I wonder why.

That's because the Anglo-Polish Agreement was restricted only to aggression against either country by Germany.

On August 25 1939, two days after the Nazi-Soviet Pact, the Agreement of Mutual Assistance between the United Kingdom and Poland was signed. The agreement contained promises of mutual military assistance between the nations in the event either was attacked by some "European country". The United Kingdom, sensing a dangerous trend of German expansionism, sought to prevent German aggression by this show of solidarity. In a secret protocol of the pact, the United Kingdom offered assistance in the case of an attack on Poland specifically by Germany,[3] while in the case of attack by other countries the parties were required to "consult together on measures to be taken in common".[10] Both the United Kingdom and Poland were bound not to enter agreements with any other third countries which were a threat to the other.[11] Because of the pact's signing, Hitler postponed his planned invasion of Poland from August 26 until September 1

On September 17 the Soviet Union invaded Poland through the eastern Polish border. This was a response to Germany's invasion of Poland, in keeping with the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact's secret protocol specifying the division of Poland. According to the Polish-British Common Defence Pact, the United Kingdom should give Poland “all the support and assistance in its power” if Poland was "engaged in hostilities with a European Power in consequence of aggression by the latter". The Polish ambassador in London, Raczyński, contacted the British Foreign Office pointing out that clause 1(b) of the agreement which concerned an "aggression by a European power" on Poland, should apply to the Soviet invasion. The Foreign Secretary Lord Halifax responded that the obligation of British Government towards Poland arising out of the Anglo-Polish Agreement was restricted to Germany, according to the first clause of the secret protocol.

Anglo-Polish military alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Driven to where?

Japanese POW Camps and shallow graves on Bataan and Dugout Doug went to Australia.

My father (Canadian) fought the Japanese, Jarhead.

Did yours?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A flotilla of 'little ships' that evacuated Allied troops from the beaches of Dunkirk set sail for France this morning to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the pivotal Second World War operation.

The ramshackle fleet of some 50 yachts, fishing boats and life boats have set sail from Ramsgate in Kent for the French port, recreating a journey that saw them save the lives of more than 300,000 British, French and Belgian troops.

Did the French surrender?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Driven to where?

Japanese POW Camps and shallow graves on Bataan

Oh so they weren't driven out.

LOL... you fail.

and Dugout Doug went to Australia.

Yes he did. Sad ain't it?

My father (Canadian) fought the Japanese, Jarhead.

Did yours?

Nah... he was in grade school so it would have been very difficult to have fought the Japanese in WWII.

So your Dad was in WW2! I am VERY surprised... shocked even. I thought I was talking to a 12 year old this whole time!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Oh so they weren't driven out.

LOL... you fail.

Yes he did. Sad ain't it?

Nah... he was in grade school so it would have been very difficult to have fought the Japanese in WWII.

So your Dad was in WW2! I am VERY surprised... shocked even. I thought I was talking to a 12 year old this whole time!

No wonder you are so poorly educated. It happened after the U.S. dove into its steep decline.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That's because the Anglo-Polish Agreement was restricted only to aggression against either country by Germany.

Great deal for the Poles! No wonder why they hate the Anglash.

Seriously though... you bit off far more than you could chew and that all is just an excuse. You should have stayed in bed.

Totally unprepared which is why you needed a bailout.

No wonder you are so poorly educated. It happened after the U.S. dove into its steep decline.

Say what? lol

I am sorry you are dimwitted... I'd hate that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nothing but the toy poodles and playthings of Great Britain, I'm afraid. We tell you to jump and you jump. It was Britain which fought Germany alone in 1940. The colonies were just an extension of Britain.

If it is a historical fact then it was a big mistake on his part to allow 338,226 British, French and Belgian soldiers to escape alive back to the safety of Britain where they lived again to fight another day rather than slaughtering them all and taking 338,226 British, French and Belgian soldiers out of the war.

You seem to know it all, you were unaware of this.