Floods

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
More of Saskatchewan threatened by spring flooding

A bigger chunk of Saskatchewan is now threatened by potential flooding.

The Water Security Agency (WSA) released its April spring runoff forecast Monday. It outlines how there was above normal precipitation in March.

“As a result, the potential size of the runoff area and the risk of flooding has indeed increased,” said minister responsible Ken Cheveldayoff.

Flooding is likely in the areas of Moose Jaw to Indian Head then south to Weyburn, and now from Saskatoon to North Battleford
extending north to Waskesiu Lake. A good majority of the rest of the province is expected to see at least above normal runoff.

The WSA’s John Fahlman said Moose Jaw and Regina can expect higher flows than in 2011.

Fahlman added the cold air that’s sticking around could cause problems down the road.

“It increases the risk of a high peak, of a very flashy runoff where the water comes all at once. It gets higher but it goes down quicker. The longer it stays cold, I would say the higher the risk of the high end peak estimates,” he said.

“To minimize that would be a few weeks of sort of a +10 C/-5 C type of environment.”

More controlled releases from the Rafferty, Alameda, and Boundary reservoirs have been made to make extra space available. A number of sandbags, barriers and pumps are ready to go as well.

“We feel right now we’re doing everything possible,” Cheveldayoff said.

The WSA recently launched a mobile website that gives users the most up-to-date information and advisories on lake levels and stream flows. Visit www.wsask.ca on a smartphone or tablet to access that mobile site. The full April spring runoff forecast can also be found there.

Edited by CJME's Karen Brownlee.

Bring it on already.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Once again I'm the proud owner of several lakes and the little Assinboine is back to Volga size. It's the middle May and the soil is still only 2C and 90% moisture. I'll be losing my flannel shirt this year. F*ck me!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Once again I'm the proud owner of several lakes and the little Assinboine is back to Volga size. It's the middle May and the soil is still only 2C and 90% moisture. I'll be losing my flannel shirt this year. F*ck me!

No! Not the flannel! How will be Flannel Man without the flannel? 8O