File-sharing legal in Canada, judge rules

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
So T.Rex in your post a clear point you have there is you think music should be illegal because of programs like Kazaa that make money from the Ads within the programs themselves? I understand how much money the industry loses from downloaded media but its a small chunk of the big picture, they make billions.. Im not endorsing people to go wildly downloading anything they want, if its good I buy it, if its not its gone. It's that simple.

But as for the Ads, how do you think programmers who make FREE software get paid? One of two ways.

1) User donations -- yeah not something to rely on very much at all (trust me I make free software lol).
2) Banner Ads -- Although not very lucrative, if there are enough users it more than covers the cost of hosting the website so its not an out of pocket expense.

Most of use open source programmers and freeware programmers don't program because we want to 'get rich' we program to contribute to the online communities we 'live' in.

For most of us making a program ShareWare and making people register it does not appeal to us because we believe in the freedom and free-ness of the Internet and all it entails.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I personally like programs like emule. It's opensource and there's a huge community involved with the whoe project. They do not profit off of the software. I think they might receive donations, but as Shmad said, that's nothing.

Software becomes great when there's a massive community flourishing around it. People help each other out and bugs are usually fixed rapidly.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Great news. Now that the election has been called, however, the most useful thing we can do in the next four weeks is to raise people's awareness of these issues, and get the candidates to air their positions.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
You thing is positive, all parties wish to bring back the youth into politics. File sharing, is an issue directly connected to youth. I'm sure their advisors made sure they are aware of this issue, and I hope they will address it.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
It is rather better to legalise file sharing rather than trying to stop pirates... It's a lot more cost effective... How do you think you'll stop file sharing? It 's not just on the net where file sharing happens... Artists still make money because of conservative people who think file sharing is wrong..

I never heard of a musician go bankrupt because of file sharing yet... I do not think that it will happen either,,, Rather than spending billions of $$$ it's rather easier for them to spend millions i would guess..

:)