Fiji to remove ‘outdated’ union jack from flag

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Fiji will remove the union jack from its flag and replace it with a design that symbolises the Pacific country, not former colonial power Britain, the prime minister has said.

“We need to replace the symbols on our existing flag that are out of date and no longer relevant, including some anchored to our colonial past,” he said. “The new flag should reflect Fiji’s position in the world today as a modern and truly independent nation state.”

He said a national competition to design a new flag would be held, with the aim of hoisting it on 11 October, the 45th anniversary of independence.

“We must all have an open mind about the final result, but it should be symbolic of the unity of the nation and instantly recognisable the world over as uniquely and proudly Fijian,” he said.

Bainimarama scrapped the Queen’s birthday public holiday in 2012 and also removed the monarch’s head from the country’s currency when he still ruled by military decree.

He pointed out that New Zealand, Australia and Tuvalu were the only other former British colonies that still had the union jack on their national flag.

New Zealand will hold a binding referendum next year on changing its flag, with conservative prime minister John Key favouring a design featuring a silver fern, similar to the one worn by the All Blacks rugby team.

Australia has also faced periodic calls to change its flag, particularly before key events such as the 2000 Olympics.

The flag debate in Australia is closely linked to whether the country should become a republic, an idea rejected in a 1999 referendum.

Fiji to remove ‘outdated’ union jack from flag | World news | The Guardian

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I hope they use the Cocoa pod that's already featured (lower right)-Chocolate used to be big in Fiji then for whatever reason production dropped to next to nothing and has struggled to make a comeback.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
If you go back to first principles.. a flag that honours St. George, St. Andrew and St. Patrick isn't a bad symbol for a country.. even if it's a residue of a colonial past.

The problem is they are replaced with these grossly over-simplistic and abrasive modernist designs.. without articulation, tradition, complexity or context.. and utterly inoffensive to any designated 'victim's' group.. uhhh.. like that of Canada.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The problem is they are replaced with these grossly over-simplistic and abrasive modernist designs.. without articulation, tradition, complexity or context.. and utterly inoffensive to any designated 'victim's' group.. uhhh.. like that of Canada.

I prefer what we have now to what was there before. Same with the anthem and calling July 1 "Canada Day." New traditions have to start somewhere.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I prefer what we have now to what was there before. Same with the anthem and calling July 1 "Canada Day." New traditions have to start somewhere.

Well i'd extend my comment on the flag to the national anthem. I would replace that brassy, bloated somewhat embarrassing O Canada with the Maple Leaf Forever (with some lyric changes).. which is a far more nuanced, endearing and flexible tune. O Canada can only be played at full horn.

And i'd change the totally meaningless name of 'Canada Day' to 'Confederation Day'. Another example of picking labels that are as harmless and inoffensive as possible.. and producing something so bland and vapid that it lacks any character at all.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I note all you loudmouths that pretend to know what's good for Fiji have never been near the place-or anywhere else for that matter-of course you don't fish so it definitely sucks to be you.

Fiji fishing is fabulous-this is down Kadavu way.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looks like the Fijians are a bit embarassed at showing the world just who they belong to.

They can put whatever they like on the flag. They can't change history. Just as the Canadians weren't able to do so when they got rid of their Mother nation's flag. The world still known Canada is British.

Here are some Fijian British Army soldiers watching their team play England at Twickenham in the rugby union:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Doesn't Fiji whip the Brit team each time they meet?

From what I recall, the score is so lop-sided in favor of the Fijians that it's nothing short of an embarrassment to the poor Brit players that get schooled in their own sport

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Doesn't Fiji whip the Brit team each time they meet?

From what I recall, the score is so lop-sided in favor of the Fijians that it's nothing short of an embarrassment to the poor Brit players that get schooled in their own sport

Britain or England?