Fentanyl

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
New to me. I assumed it was a needle kit of some type also…. Kind of like John Travolta and that chick from the Quinton Tarantino movie. Whoops….
I’ve only ever see the empty cases….
I just had this conversation with my Girlfriend (because 6am, etc…) who’s never actually seen one of these kits intact either, and she pictured the same scene from the same movie too. Showed her the picture of the nasal spray….& the conversation drifted to getting a stencil kit to write “NARCAN” on the Aluminum Bat we keep behind the front door (because 6:20am). The day has started.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
That reminded me of one of the questions we have about administering naloxone: Why is it that naloxone comes in a vial that has to be filled with the syringe, largely by people that don't do this on a regular basis, when many other drugs come preloaded? The vial holds one shot.
Another question is why do we automatically administer naloxone when OD is suspected, without knowing what drug has been used. Naloxone only works on opiates, so probably on half of OD's it has no effect. The best answer I ever got was to compare it to a diabetic coma. Since sugar works for one type, but has no effect on the other type, you can't go wrong. I guess it prevents misdiagnosis, but seems odd.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That reminded me of one of the questions we have about administering naloxone: Why is it that naloxone comes in a vial that has to be filled with the syringe, largely by people that don't do this on a regular basis, when many other drugs come preloaded? The vial holds one shot.
Another question is why do we automatically administer naloxone when OD is suspected, without knowing what drug has been used. Naloxone only works on opiates, so probably on half of OD's it has no effect. The best answer I ever got was to compare it to a diabetic coma. Since sugar works for one type, but has no effect on the other type, you can't go wrong. I guess it prevents misdiagnosis, but seems odd.
More fundamentally, why do it at all? Is there a good reason to intervene in a suicide?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
More fundamentally, why do it at all? Is there a good reason to intervene in a suicide?
Depending on the situation, it could be a tough call.

Everybody is somebody’s son or daughter, etc… so I guess that doesn’t justify stencilling “NARCAN” on the aluminum bat behind my front door, but it sounded like a good idea when I heard it this morning. 😉

“Have you administered NARCAN?”

“Have I? And How!! A couple of times, and it was satisfying!! Doesn’t look like it’s relieving the overdose symptoms directly though…”

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
That is another important question that the first responders are not permitted to ask. Even the rules around DNR's are worded to make it difficult to comply with the patient's wishes. The best advice I have for families of people with DNR's is, don't call until you are sure it is too late.

Reactions: petros

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
At a rural property an hour outside Vancouver in October, Canadian police found 2.5 million doses of fentanyl and 528 gallons of chemicals in a shipping container and a storage unit. Six months earlier, they raided a home in a cookie-cutter Vancouver subdivision packed with barrels of fentanyl-making chemicals, glassware and lab equipment.
Thousands of miles away outside Toronto, police in August found what is believed to be the largest fentanyl lab so far in Canada — hidden at a property 30 miles from the U.S. border crossing at Niagara Falls, N.Y.

U.S. authorities say they have little indication that Canadian-made fentanyl is being smuggled south in significant quantities. But at a time when record numbers of people are dying from overdoses in the United States, the spread of clandestine fentanyl labs in Canada has the potential to undermine U.S. enforcement efforts and worsen the opioid epidemic in both nations.

Article
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/12/24/fentanyl-labs-canada-threat-to-us/

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
At a rural property an hour outside Vancouver in October, Canadian police found 2.5 million doses of fentanyl and 528 gallons of chemicals in a shipping container and a storage unit. Six months earlier, they raided a home in a cookie-cutter Vancouver subdivision packed with barrels of fentanyl-making chemicals, glassware and lab equipment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/12/24/fentanyl-labs-canada-threat-to-us/
I'm not surprised. There is no security at the Port of Vancouver. The crime syndicate that owns the union won't allow it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Essex fentanyl murderer sentenced to minimum of 37 years in jail.

Luke D'Wit, 34, will be 71 before he is eligible for parole.

IT worker D'Wit murdered grandparents Stephen Baxter, 61, and his wife Carol, 64, by lacing their medication with fentanyl at their home in West Mersea, Essex, in April 2013.

Fentanyl is 50 times stronger than heroin.

D'Wit must serve at least a minimum of 37 years but there is a possibility he will never be released from prison until he is dead.

Last edited: