Feeling a bit... paranoid today?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ocean Breeze said:
true ...... with one little exception perhaps. :wink: I would TRUST the Brits a lot more than I would "trust" the CURRENT America. Bush is far too fickle and turns on pals on a dime ......particularly if they don't follow his line of policy blindly. One thing I would hate to feel is a sense of beholding to the US. Then they will control you for life. They will remind you frequently of what they did to save your butt and create that feeling of obligation. /debt. This diminishes a person and a nation and causes a festering of anger.....

*now , under another , more intelligent, effective leader in the US.......sure......what you say, holds merit. )

(just some thoughts on this one)

Good thoughts on the Bush regime!

Now, personally, I don't think Americans do remind other nations frequently of what they did to help except when they are being vilified. I think they simply react in kind to attacks on their character. We (and my, my, my, I am so guilty of this) often make generalized attacks on Everything American because of the frustration we feel at their apparent unwillingness to see what we see happening down there. Many Americans feel the same way as we do, but we alienate them with our blanket statements, and this is a shame.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Many Americans feel the same way as we do, but we alienate them with our blanket statements, and this is a shame.

what you say has much merit. But here again.....it is quite apparent that "they" have alienated themselves to a large degree. There has to be a reason that "they" are so out of favor with the rest of the world now. Sure, "we" bad mouth them often , but I do think we are objective enough to see their positive attributes too. I guess, IMHO ......"they" are the author of their own misfortune and badmouthing. To add to the insult (of not seeing their own issues) they get defensive. Mind you , that would be a natural response if most on this planet had a negative view of one. One can only hope with fervor that Canadians never lose objectivity of their own gov't , and situation......and continue to criticize , vocally as is appropriate. Maybe the difference is that we in CA are not afraid to condemn our gov't when it is called for ........and do so . without resorting to destructive tactics. Seems in the US ......it is frowned upon to condemn, crticize their gov't.........and THAT Is the stranglehold their powerful washington cabal has over the population there. Patriotism has been taken to an obscene extreme and is therefore silencing many........except for a few brave ones. ......and they get bashed (verbally assassinated )as if they were some parriaha. While "the powers" preach "freedoms" ........one of which is speech. Go figure. Lots of confusion in this situation. (or so it seems)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ocean Breeze said:
here again.....it is quite apparent that "they" have alienated themselves to a large degree. There has to be a reason that "they" are so out of favor with the rest of the world now. )

Definitely, Ocean Breeze... there are plenty of reasons why they are out of favour, there is no arguing that point, at least not with me.

I mean only to say that while it is human nature to thoroughly vilify something that has gained great disfavour with us, it does create a backlash.

Specific criticism of specific American situations is a positive thing, in my books, but I think generalized statements against Everything American are almost always counter-productive.

We resent the hell out of anybody who does it back at us, ie when Fox News's Bill O'Reilly went on the attack against Canada, we were frankly surprised. Why would he do such a thing? It never crossed our collective mind that maybe he did it because he felt his nation had been unfairly condemned. We often attack the US as a whole for the sins of a few, and O'Reilly came back and attacked Canada as a whole for the sins of a few. And so it goes, around and around. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

It happens in all aspects of life, for as I say, it is human nature to do it. A person might own a Japanese car, and say the car causes him endless amounts of grief and money. He is very likely to forever condemn that model of car. In fact, he is likely to condemn the maker, too. He might even decide never to own a Japanese car again... "I hate Japanese cars. They're all a pile of rubbish." I think we have all heard such diatribes, so you know what I mean. It just gets a LOT hotter when the diatribe is political.

I don't think Canadians feel an all-round hatred for all things American, but often we do come across that way. In my hottest moments I am shockingly bad about it. And Americans would not be American OR human if they just bent over and said, "Thank you, Canada, may I have another?"

Many Americans respond positively to what we're saying when we're specific in our accusations, but as I say, even the most liberal of them are turned away when our shouts of disapproval seem to encompass them as well. In some cases, nothing short of a total denouncement of their own country is enough to satisfy the critics.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
in my books, but I think generalized statements against Everything American are almost always counter-productive.

agree absolutely! Unfortunately human nature being what it is, has its pitfalls and finds "generalizations " the line of least resistance. It is just too easy to generalize that "all Americans" are arrogant. or overly aggressive, or uninformed, or extremist (particularly now) or too warmongering. (Or gosh knows what other aspect of US society ) and one must make an effort not to do this. Just as many others......I is guilty of "generalizations" too.......and it usually comes from frustration. ( excuses , excuses :wink: :wink:

but about "hatred"........ not sure that even factors in. Hatred is just too strong and fixed an emotion that colors all things . I may disrespect the bush cabal something fierce..... or challenge their lying habits etc.........but I don't "hate" them. I don't know them well enough to like them as people or dislike them.........but "hate"???? Hate is found in very rare and very pathological situations /people.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ocean Breeze said:
guilty of "generalizations" too.......and it usually comes from frustration. ( excuses , excuses :wink: :wink:

I try to catch myself in the act, as it were, but all too often I fall back into the same-old same-old. But then I see how I sound, and I don't like it much. Or I see it in others, and realize that it isn't the way I want to come across. That's what keeps me trying to stop. I figure that each time I stop myself, I am better for it. And what the hell, if I didn't have these sins to work on, I'd run out of things to do!
:lol:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey, ya bugger... you added that last paragraph after I posted my response! You're right about the hate thing, although many people feel something very akin to hate, I think, when tempers over political issues are running hot.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Haggis McBagpipe said:
Hey, ya bugger... you added that last paragraph after I posted my response! You're right about the hate thing, although many people feel something very akin to hate, I think, when tempers over political issues are running hot.
:lol: :lol: :wink:

I think that MOST Of the emotional part is NOT hate. Far from it. But it is ANGER. Not even sure what true distilled "hate" is like or would feel like. But sure do understand the anger part ......and have to admit......much of what the current USG has done has fostered anger........(along with a good dose of fear about ......"what the heck will they do next??" Loose cannon that it is on the planet now)

but back to generalizations....... seems that these come from the Govt (US) actions, words, deeds......as given the fact "they " actually reelected the donkey .......it speaks volumes. Majority rules and the "image" is of the majority. Mind you , this could change as more vocalize their discontent with the bush cabal. If the US population would muster up the guts to get rid of all these donkies in the whitehouse........things would change dramatically. The whole tone would change.

IMHO.......it isn't "Americans" that are disliked, despised.....etc. It is their shady , corrupt and warmongering govt that is hell bent for leather to rule this planet........no matter how many lives are lost . It is all about POWER and more power. ........and this is what is resented. It does not even disguise this fact under euphemisms anymore. .........unless the freedom pitch is the current camouflage. The fact that they have chosen to LIE and compound the issues with MORE LIES.....(fabrications, fantasy , or whatever) has caused even more resentment at them. By lying so blatantly.......they are treating the world population as if it were too ignorant to see through their BS.------and BS is what it is. The euphamism for BS is "spin"..... (ain't that just cute???) sheesh.

Don't even think that Americans are "resented" as much as the gov't that is ruling them now. It is the bushcon cabal that is the object of dissention...........and as it should be.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ocean Breeze said:
I think that MOST Of the emotional part is NOT hate. Far from it. But it is ANGER. Not even sure what true distilled "hate" is like or would feel like. But sure do understand the anger part ......and have to admit......much of what the current USG has done has fostered anger........(along with a good dose of fear about ......"what the heck will they do next??" Loose cannon that it is on the planet now.

Ain't that the truth... a loose cannon is the perfect description of Generalissimo Busho.

You're right, of course, that the emotions are those of anger, frustration and worry. Unfortunately, these often present as hate. When I am cut off by an idiot driver, there actually is a moment where I just about hate that person. I don't really, of course, but the sudden surge of anger and frustration sure seems a twin to hate.

The US government is completely changing the US, for the worse, of this there can be no doubt.

I think a rather gluttony America was going through a real identity crisis pre-Bush, you could sense it when visiting down there. They no longer knew how they felt about themselves, they no longer knew what it meant to be American.

Bush gave them the answer, and it was something easy to digest, a sort of mindless Insta-Patriotism, and he delivered right at a time when the citizens were feeling especially frightened and unsure. Now you can go down there and things actually feel pretty damn good, those unhealthy emanations that I used to sense are gone.

I had the occasion to be in Idaho a short while back. Now, that is one of the most - if not the most - conservative states in the union. Well, what insecurity and anger had been detected in prior visits, was now replaced with a genuine graciousness and outpouring of friendliness.

Sound strange? I thought so too, until I realized that they now have what they had been lacking for so long, a sense of purpose, a sense of worth, an Insta-Patriotism ala George Bush. The only problem is, of course, it is a false sense of good feeling brought about by a government operating on a shaky and twisted agenda.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Feeling a bit... paranoid today?

manda said:
Paranoid? Me? *looks around* who wants to know? are you following me? WHY IS eeveryone looking at MMEEEEEE!

:lol: :lol: Because you have bubbles in your nose, of course... why else??

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

manda said:
this explains a lot you know! :D

Another area of paranoia seems is in the warning labels found on just about everything these days. The swim ladder we bought for our boat had a warning not to dive from it (if you saw the ladder, you'd see how especially ridiculous that one is).

The best one, though, is on my electronic piano (the warnings actually go on for three pages) (for a piano), it warns that I must NOT stand on the piano, I could hurt myself. Who knew? Better yet, if the piano - get ready for this - is on fire, I should not play it. I should put the fire out instead. Otherwise, I could hurt myself. Again, who knew? Perhaps the best one is, if I notice any of the screws loose? I SHOULD TIGHTEN THEM. Otherwise, I could hurt myself.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la

Haggis McBagpipe said:
manda said:
this explains a lot you know! :D

Another area of paranoia seems is in the warning labels found on just about everything these days. The swim ladder we bought for our boat had a warning not to dive from it (if you saw the ladder, you'd see how especially ridiculous that one is).

The best one, though, is on my electronic piano (the warnings actually go on for three pages) (for a piano), it warns that I must NOT stand on the piano, I could hurt myself. Who knew? Better yet, if the piano - get ready for this - is on fire, I should not play it. I should put the fire out instead. Otherwise, I could hurt myself. Again, who knew? Perhaps the best one is, if I notice any of the screws loose? I SHOULD TIGHTEN THEM. Otherwise, I could hurt myself.

The scary part of all this is...for the warnings to be added, somebody did what they warn of and sued the company.

I bought my honey a dremel...it warned that it was not to be used for dental work 8O :withstupid:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

manda said:
I bought my honey a dremel...it warned that it was not to be used for dental work 8O :withstupid:

No way! Damn, you mean I have to go back to using a toothbrush?

I wonder, though, whether people have done it which resulted in the label being put on there or whether there's a little group of paranoids at each company who sit around and dream up all the possibilities, even the most remote ones.

Heta

Aug 22, 2005
Kelowna

Vanni Fucci said:
Even after the bombings in London in July, the Brits could only say, 'what, is that the best
Yes the British people did say that...yet the security concerns in the UK have become EXTREMELY paranoid to the point of shooting innocent people in the head because they might, kind of, sort of look like a terrorist...

The problem is that governments no longer represent the people, but wish to bully the masses into acceptance of their indomitable rule...they use things like Terror-Alert-Orange, and shooting people to accomplish this...and yes, every time there is a terrorist attack, the governments shore up their powerbase, and take a little more from the people...

*sigh*

Vanni, you are so right that governments frequently doesn't represent their own people anymore. The bad news is that the Brits have a prime minister that would like to see the UK become a US clone, perhaps to re-live some of its former glory or just to stay on the good side of such a formidable power. The good news is that this type of shift is in its infancy in the UK. The people are, for the most part, yet to be swayed and still hold true to their belief in their own indomitable spirit, even if their leaders don't.

I think in the UK and in the US, a shift of power could mean the difference between a continuing downhill slide and a slow recovery from the paranoia and distrust. Without this shift, I can't, or don't want to, imagine where it will all end. Something has to give eventually, no society can live on a diet of fear and anger indefinitely.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Something has to give eventually, no society can live on a diet of fear and anger indefinitely.

That is so absolutely spot on. Something has to either snap.......or change drastically for this negative momentum /atmosphere to alter. Gov'ts are NOT doing any one a favor by repeating the threat factor , conditioning a population into a perpetual fear/anger/defensive mode. But they use this to accumulate more and more power and control over the peoples.

Now......about "paranoia"........(IMHO) in the current era of things.........a little "paranoia " is very healthy. :wink: ---particularly when a gov't begins to excercise such sweeping powers......."all for the 'security" of said population." A curious, interesting and.......concerning era is upon us. Being aware and accurately informed is more imperative than ever.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Every time I see a Foxs News blip, or even a commercial about the latest drug to cure the latest disease, I turn to my husband and say "Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid".

It's a society of fear. People can be goverened by fear, because they feel they need someone in real power to protect them.

It's gotten to the point that it's considered unsafe to do anything really. Don't eat beef - Mad cow-. Don't eat poultry - avian flu. Cover your self in deet because of West nile. Oh, but wait, deet causes cancer, so don't use deet, better yet, don't go outside. Don't go to air shows. Don't ever trust strangers. Do this, don't do that. People are so confused that they now sit back and wait for someone else to tell them what to do. We've lost our ability to have critical thinking (oooh, an old friend Dio would LOVE that phrase), and now just sit by waiting for the next thing to be afraid of.

Heta, I am so on your page with the pregnancy thing. The fear data is overwhelming. My doctor advised me NOT to buy the book "What to expect when you are expecting" because the book goes into every little possible thing that could go wrong, even if there's only a 0.05% chance of it happening. Instead I bought "Girlfriend's Guide To Pregnancy" (which I recommend) and there is very little of the fear in there. And when they do mention some obscure disease, or even some regular disease, I just skip the section.

I'm eating healthy, I'm trying to be active, and I'm avoiding the major no-nos, but hey, if I decide that I want to have a small glass of wine or something, then I will. There is no point stresing out about what MIGHT happen, because then I'll miss all the joyous things about these 9 months. I think that couple in our class has read too many books now, and they will never be able to enjoy just being pregnant, without worrying about what a particular activity might do to their unborn child.

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

Or don't. I've chosen not to.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Well, it sounds to me as though at least two Preggie Peggies (I am a dead forum member walking for that one, ha ha) will, by using smarts and commonsense, get to thoroughly enjoy their pregnancies, and, even more importantly, will raise kids who won't be afraid of their own shadows. Kudos!

PS I like that line: 'Be afraid. Be very afraid. Or don't. I've chosen not to.' Actually, it would make a good forum signature.

LaoWai

May 31, 2005
Hefei PRC
Are irrational fears a North American and Western European thing?

I do believe so.

Thank God to be in the PRC where I can spit on the sidewalk, smoke wherever I want, drink booze that would make Screech seem tame in comparison, eat as much as I want, goggle at beautiful women without being called a "pervert" for doing so, ride a motorcycle without a helmet...and so much more without the media constantly telling me to "be afraid, be very afraid" of the consequences. Oh, btw, when women in China get pregnant they don't freak out like women in the west and worry so much about silly things like whether they can eat chocolate or not. The baby is going to come out no matter what.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..

LaoWai said:
Are irrational fears a North American and Western European thing?

I do believe so.

What an interesting comment, and I do believe you are right.

I haven't done a great deal of travelling, but I've done more than a lot of people, and I woudl agree that in other countries the people seem less governed by fear. Even though in a country like Thailand, the people have less than we do here in Canada, or the US, they seem happier. They just go out, live their lives, and don't worry about that bus that might hit them, or the noxious fumes from the factory, or the latest terror threat.

I think I'd be much happier living a place like that.