FARMING & FOOD – Is it all fouled up?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
AnnaG, under which should the eggs go? I've seen them lumped in with dairy before, but to me, eggs are (very) young chickens. What do you think?
Eggs are dairy products. Chickens are meat products. I have no idea why someone started categorizing them that way, though. Perhaps because there's no meat in eggs and we can't categorize them under grains, fruits, or veggies.

(While we're on the subject of chickens and eggs, do you have an opinion on which came first?) :lol:
Eggs = single cell objects that have been around since before dinosaurs. Chickens = evolved objects. Eventually chickens evolved and they laid their owns eggs.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hey, countryboy, don't we have something in BC called the egg-marketing board? Will do a bit of research and see what I can find out.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It occurred to me after Ron posted the info. on the Wheat Board...having been off the farm for a few (?) years, I had overlooked that issue, and it's huge but of course, only relates to grain. However, I think there might be a few other marketing boards out there with some heavy-duty influence on what farmers can and can't do...:cool:

Not to mention the myriad of regulations on raising, butchering, and selling beef. I have to beg a local farmer for my annual allotment of grass-fed beef because he's facing so many rules and regs. on that one. Ditto for trying to get some raw (real) milk, etc., etc., etc.

Gosh, it's nice to be enjoying all this "freedom", isn't it?

Gaia Bless Canada - The Land of Endless Regulations.

Okay, countryboy, a 15-minute Google search gave me this list which by no means is complete. These are marketing agencies in Canada, and believe me there are dozens and dozens more.

http://foodinstitute.com/assn_intl.cfm

Canada: National and Regional Organizations

Ayrshire Canada www.ayrshire-canada.com/
Brewers Association of Canada www.brewers.ca/
Canadian Egg Marketing Agency www.canadaegg.ca/
Canadian Federation of Agriculture www.cfa-fca.ca/
Canadian Grain Commission www.cgc.ca/
Canadian Limousin Association www.limousin.com/
Canadian Livestock Exporters Association www.clea.com/
Canadian Pork Council www.cpc-ccp.com/
Canadian Poultry and Egg Processors Council www.cpepc.ca/
Canadian Produce Marketing Association www.cpma.ca/
Canadian Simmental Association www.simmental.com/
Canadian Soft Drink Association www.softdrink.ca/
Canadian Swine Breeders Association www.canswine.ca/
Canadian Turkey Marketing Agency www.canadianturkey.ca/
Canola Council of Canada www.canola-council.org/
Food and Consumer Products Manufacturers of Canada www.fcpmc.com/
Holstein Canada www.holstein.ca/
Jersey Canada www.jerseycanada.com/
Alberta AgFood Alliance www.agfood-alliance.ab.ca/
Alberta Food Processors Association www.afpa.com/
Alberta Honey Producers www.beemaid.com/
Alberta Milk Producers www.amp.ab.ca/
British Columbia Blueberry Council www.worldexport.com/bcblue/
Manitoba Egg Producers www.mbegg.mb.ca/
Manitoba Food Processors Association www.mfpa.mb.ca/
Manitoba Milk Producers www.milk.mb.ca/
Manitoba Pork www.manitobapork.com/
Manitoba Turkey Producers www.turkey.mb.ca/
Dairy Farmers of Ontario www.milk.org/
Ontario Cattlemen's Associtation cattle.guelph.on.ca/
Ontario Corn Producers' Association www.ontariocorn.org/
Ontario Federation of Agriculture www.ofa.on.ca/
Ontario Holstein Association www.ontario.holstein.ca/index.html
Ontario Maple Syrup Producers' Association www.ontariomaple.com/
Ontario Pork Producers' Marketing Board www.ontariopork.on.ca/
Ontario Soybean Growers' Marketing Board www.soybean.on.ca/
Prince Edward Island Hog Commodity Marketing Board www.swine.net/serv8.htm
Cooperative Federee de Quebec www.coopfed.qc.ca/
Federation des Producteurs Acericoles du Quebec www.maple-erable.qc.ca/sirop.html
Federation des Producteurs de Culture Commerciales du Quebec www.fpccq.qc.ca/
Union des Producteurs Agricoles www.upa.qc.ca/
Saskatchewan Fruit Growers Association www.saskfruit.com/

Add to that the Ontario Bean Producers Marketing Board, The Walnut Marketing Board, BC Chicken Marketing Board, BC Turkey Marketing Board, Saskatchewan Broiler Hatching Egg Producers Marketing Board, Canadian Produce Marketing Association, Canadian Dairy Commission, Ontario Wheat Producers Marketing Board, Ontario Tender Fruit Producers Marketing Board, The Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Producers Marketing Board, The Canadian Cat Meat Marketing Board, Manitoba Root Crop Producers Marketing Board, PEI Hog Commodity Marketing Board, Chicken Marketing Board, and on and on. Good luck with figuring this all out, it makes me tired just looking at the list.

P.S. I put the cat meat one in bold because I had no idea there even was such a thing. Go figure.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have a marketing agency for my eggs, too. I am president, CEO, secretary, VP, owner, treasurer, the assistants to the previous mentioned people, and the gofer. :D
My regs: feed and water the chickens, collect the eggs, look after the babies, buy and haul the feed, make sure they don't freeze. ;)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have a marketing agency for my eggs, too. I am president, CEO, secretary, VP, owner, treasurer, the assistants to the previous mentioned people, and the gofer. :D
My regs: feed and water the chickens, collect the eggs, look after the babies, buy and haul the feed, make sure they don't freeze. ;)

Oops! Sorry, Anna, will add you to the list.:smile: By the way, do fish fall into the meat category - they have marketing boards too. :smile::smile::smile:

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

Okay, countryboy, a 15-minute Google search gave me this list which by no means is complete. These are marketing agencies in Canada, and believe me there are dozens and dozens more.

Canada: National and Regional Organizations

Ayrshire Canada www.ayrshire-canada.com/
Brewers Association of Canada www.brewers.ca/
Canadian Egg Marketing Agency www.canadaegg.ca/
Canadian Federation of Agriculture www.cfa-fca.ca/
Canadian Grain Commission www.cgc.ca/
Canadian Limousin Association www.limousin.com/
Canadian Livestock Exporters Association www.clea.com/
Canadian Pork Council www.cpc-ccp.com/
Canadian Poultry and Egg Processors Council www.cpepc.ca/
Canadian Produce Marketing Association www.cpma.ca/
Canadian Simmental Association www.simmental.com/
Canadian Soft Drink Association www.softdrink.ca/
Canadian Swine Breeders Association www.canswine.ca/
Canadian Turkey Marketing Agency www.canadianturkey.ca/
Canola Council of Canada www.canola-council.org/
Food and Consumer Products Manufacturers of Canada www.fcpmc.com/
Holstein Canada www.holstein.ca/
Jersey Canada www.jerseycanada.com/
Alberta AgFood Alliance www.agfood-alliance.ab.ca/
Alberta Food Processors Association www.afpa.com/
Alberta Honey Producers www.beemaid.com/
Alberta Milk Producers www.amp.ab.ca/
British Columbia Blueberry Council www.worldexport.com/bcblue/
Manitoba Egg Producers www.mbegg.mb.ca/
Manitoba Food Processors Association www.mfpa.mb.ca/
Manitoba Milk Producers www.milk.mb.ca/
Manitoba Pork www.manitobapork.com/
Manitoba Turkey Producers www.turkey.mb.ca/
Dairy Farmers of Ontario www.milk.org/
Ontario Cattlemen's Associtation cattle.guelph.on.ca/
Ontario Corn Producers' Association www.ontariocorn.org/
Ontario Federation of Agriculture www.ofa.on.ca/
Ontario Holstein Association www.ontario.holstein.ca/index.html
Ontario Maple Syrup Producers' Association www.ontariomaple.com/
Ontario Pork Producers' Marketing Board www.ontariopork.on.ca/
Ontario Soybean Growers' Marketing Board www.soybean.on.ca/
Prince Edward Island Hog Commodity Marketing Board www.swine.net/serv8.htm
Cooperative Federee de Quebec www.coopfed.qc.ca/
Federation des Producteurs Acericoles du Quebec www.maple-erable.qc.ca/sirop.html
Federation des Producteurs de Culture Commerciales du Quebec www.fpccq.qc.ca/
Union des Producteurs Agricoles www.upa.qc.ca/
Saskatchewan Fruit Growers Association www.saskfruit.com/

Add to that the Ontario Bean Producers Marketing Board, The Walnut Marketing Board, BC Chicken Marketing Board, BC Turkey Marketing Board, Saskatchewan Broiler Hatching Egg Producers Marketing Board, Canadian Produce Marketing Association, Canadian Dairy Commission, Ontario Wheat Producers Marketing Board, Ontario Tender Fruit Producers Marketing Board, The Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Producers Marketing Board, The Canadian Cat Meat Marketing Board, Manitoba Root Crop Producers Marketing Board, PEI Hog Commodity Marketing Board, Chicken Marketing Board, and on and on. Good luck with figuring this all out, it makes me tired just looking at the list.

P.S. I put the cat meat one in bold because I had no idea there even was such a thing. Go figure.

Hooleeee Jumpin' Gee-hoss-a-phat! 15 minutes? I thought you were blessed with a dial-up system?!?

Wow, that is a long list of "control" over our food. You'd think we'd have no problems in that department with all those fine organizations in charge of things.

Jeez, a cat meat marketing board? I didn't see one there a marketing board there for radishes (red only, no white) but perhaps it exists...sheesh.

By the way, I'm thinking that "marketing board" is a bit of a misnomer. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that one of the empirical (classical) definitions of marketing was satisfying customer requirements, at a profit. I wonder if all those board up there were set up to do the best job for the consumer, or the producer? Hmm...

Let me digest this (gotta' quit using that word in this thread!) and comment later. Just on the run right now...but thanks for finding all that!

Like a good stew, the plot thickens...:lol:

PS - I note the presence of the Canadian Soft Drink Association in the list...I thought this was about food! :cool:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC

...ENDLESS LIST GOES HERE...

Hooleeee Jumpin' Gee-hoss-a-phat! 15 minutes? I thought you were blessed with a dial-up system?!?

Wow, that is a long list of "control" over our food. You'd think we'd have no problems in that department with all those fine organizations in charge of things.

Jeez, a cat meat marketing board? I didn't see one there a marketing board there for radishes (red only, no white) but perhaps it exists...sheesh.

By the way, I'm thinking that "marketing board" is a bit of a misnomer. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that one of the empirical (classical) definitions of marketing was satisfying customer requirements, at a profit. I wonder if all those board up there were set up to do the best job for the consumer, or the producer? Hmm...

Let me digest this (gotta' quit using that word in this thread!) and comment later. Just on the run right now...but thanks for finding all that!

PS - I note the presence of the Canadian Soft Drink Association in the list...I thought this was about food! :cool:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Well maybe the Soft Drink Assoc. is there because it is something we ingest. No? :smile:
P.S. Have to add one more to the list, apparently AnnaG has her own board. :smile:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Well maybe the Soft Drink Assoc. is there because it is something we ingest. No? :smile:
P.S. Have to add one more to the list, apparently AnnaG has her own board. :smile:

Hey, what's one more on the list? The more, the merrier, obviously. :-(

And "yes" on the soft drink question. I wonder what their mission statement reads...I'm just guessing that "to further the cause of good nutrition leading to healthy young bodies by encouraging frequent consumption of the fine products produced by our members" might not appear in it. Again, just a guess...

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oops! Sorry, Anna, will add you to the list.:smile: By the way, do fish fall into the meat category - they have marketing boards too. :smile::smile::smile:
I think seafood is meat product, too.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's not registered as such. It's under the general category of small farm. lol

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

There was an article this week in the Nat Post or Globe about the fish farming in southern AB - It suprises many when you tell them that - but the amount of protein raised with a smalll land footprint is enomous. With the overfishing 20 years from now most of our sefood will be from farms.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
There was an article this week in the Nat Post or Globe about the fish farming in southern AB - It suprises many when you tell them that - but the amount of protein raised with a smalll land footprint is enomous. With the overfishing 20 years from now most of our sefood will be from farms.

I just hope that as more fish and seafood farms come on line, they don't go the "feedlot" route. That is, I hope they don't start with the high protein, growth hormone diet to get the best return on investment (fast growth) at the expense of food quality. Like cows weren't meant to eat any old crap just to fatten them up (and thus wreck the meat quality), fish should be fed their natural diet too. High production has its place in certain industries, but we're talking food here! Natural farming is OK with me...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
To start with the governments of the sixties, wanted to ensure we have cheap food
at the expense of the farming community. yes large corporate farms are rising at
the disadvantage of families. Soon people will be agricultural peasants on the land
dominated by big companies and you can bet food will cost a lot more once they
own the land. Corporations are buying land all over the world.
People don't take into consideration the quality or whether or not there are proper
food inspections or anything else. The other thing that makes me laugh is organic
food imported. Canadians do understand the the food has to be sprayed when it
enters the country organic or not. Canadians governments changed the rules without
taking into consideration that they placed our food sources in jeopardy.
It should be remember that a country that can't feed itself is a country in danger of
losing its sovereignty. I guess I look at it differently that many because I am a farmer.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
To start with the governments of the sixties, wanted to ensure we have cheap food
at the expense of the farming community. yes large corporate farms are rising at
the disadvantage of families. Soon people will be agricultural peasants on the land
dominated by big companies and you can bet food will cost a lot more once they
own the land. Corporations are buying land all over the world.
People don't take into consideration the quality or whether or not there are proper
food inspections or anything else. The other thing that makes me laugh is organic
food imported. Canadians do understand the the food has to be sprayed when it
enters the country organic or not. Canadians governments changed the rules without
taking into consideration that they placed our food sources in jeopardy.
It should be remember that a country that can't feed itself is a country in danger of
losing its sovereignty. I guess I look at it differently that many because I am a farmer.

Boy Grumpy, I think you hit several important nails squarely on their heads above. Damn well said! It drives me crazy that people (and our governments) don't take food seriously. Oh, we have tons of regulations and rules (and marketing boards, etc.) but I don't think they're seeing the big picture, either today's or the scary one in the future.

In Japan, rice is treated almost as a national treasure. Those folks figured out quite quickly during WWII that if you don't pay attention to your basic foods (ability to produce, sustainability, and all the stuff talked about incessantly by people like me other "fanatics"), then you are basically screwed.

With our "it couldn't happen here because we're Canada" attitude is way beyond silly...it's dangerous. We (the average Canadian) gets far more excited about the latest version of Windows or the latest X-box game or which new cell phone can store over a thousand photos and shine your shoes...and there is never a serious thought given to our food supply. It's simply taken for granted. Period.

I had to chuckle (well, OK, it wasn't exactly a chuckle) a few years ago during one of the many federal election campaigns we've had to endure, when all the political parties were under pressure to spend gobs of dollars to replace crumbling infrastructure in our cities. Spittle was flying at the microphones non-stop as the candidates were falling all over themselves "promising" all these bucks to the cities. It was one of the big "subjects of the day."

I thought about the disappearance of family farms and shrinking populations in smaller towns across this country, and I wondered at the time (and I still do) how things would look a local, pure food movement ever really took hold in Canada. If family farming could find its way back to a profitable and sustainable level, if small towns (which are a great place to raise families) could find their way back to growth by servicing all those farms, and if some of those really fine lifestyles could be brought back to life. What would be the benefits? It's a long list...

Less "strain" on big city infrastructures
Less carbon footprint relative to food
Better quality food (a complete no-brainer)
Smaller, stronger communities
Less pollution from factory farm operations
...and many more, if one gave it some serious thought.

I have no idea how you even begin to get this idea across to the current "McDonald's generation" ("I want it now, and I want it cheap") but I'm hopeful that some day we will begin to arrive at the same conclusion that other countries have understood for a long time...if you lose the ability to feed yourself, you are screwed, with a capital "S." Pretty basic concept.

Some I've talked to about this just dismiss it outright, saying whoever thinks like that is "dreaming." That is true. But don't forget, some of the greatest things in history began with a dream.

I recall a number of years some guy used to make speeches, and he was quite well-known for saying "I HAVE A DREAM." And it came true.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Grumpy, a PS here...Forgot to mention that farming is an honorable and profitable occupation in Japan. Years ago, when the new international airport for Tokyo was being planned (Narita), the farmers in that area were quite successful in holding up construction for years, until certain changes were made to the plans...they have a fair amount of political clout.

Rice ain't cheap in Japan, nor is much in the way of foodstuffs. It's hard to compare prices of things country-to-country, but when I lived there (until '95), apples ranged in price from $5 to $8...each. Ground beef was $11 per lb. in a typical supermarket. Things have changed a bit since then, with their economy slowing down, but food is still not a giveaway.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
How the Food Makers Captured Our Brains

New York Times
by Tara Parker-Pope
Published: June 22, 2009

As head of the Food and Drug Administration, Dr. David A. Kessler served two presidents and battled Congress and Big Tobacco. But the Harvard-educated pediatrician discovered he was helpless against the forces of a chocolate chip cookie.

In an experiment of one, Dr. Kessler tested his willpower by buying two gooey chocolate chip cookies that he didn’t plan to eat. At home, he found himself staring at the cookies, and even distracted by memories of the chocolate chunks and doughy peaks as he left the room. He left the house, and the cookies remained uneaten. Feeling triumphant, he stopped for coffee, saw cookies on the counter, and gobbled one down.

“Why does that chocolate chip cookie have such power over me?” Dr. Kessler asked in an interview. “Is it the cookie, the representation of the cookie in my brain? I spent seven years trying to figure out the answer.”

The result of Dr. Kessler’s quest is a fascinating new book, “The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite” (Rodale).

During his time at the Food and Drug Administration, Dr. Kessler maintained a high profile, streamlining the agency, pushing for faster approval of drugs and overseeing the creation of the standardized nutrition label on food packaging. But Dr. Kessler is perhaps best known for his efforts to investigate and regulate the tobacco industry, and his accusation that cigarette makers intentionally manipulated nicotine content to make their products more addictive.

In “The End of Overeating,” Dr. Kessler finds some similarities in the food industry, which has combined and created foods in a way that taps into our brain circuitry and stimulates our desire for more.

When it comes to stimulating our brains, Dr. Kessler noted, individual ingredients aren’t particularly potent. But by combining fats, sugar and salt in innumerable ways, food makers have essentially tapped into the brain’s reward system, creating a feedback loop that stimulates our desire to eat and leaves us wanting more and more even when we’re full.

Dr. Kessler isn’t convinced that food makers fully understand the neuroscience of the forces they have unleashed, but food companies certainly understand human behavior, taste preferences and desire. In fact, he offers descriptions of how restaurants and food makers manipulate ingredients to reach the aptly named “bliss point.” Foods that contain too little or too much sugar, fat or salt are either bland or overwhelming. But food scientists work hard to reach the precise point at which we derive the greatest pleasure from fat, sugar and salt.

The result is that chain restaurants like Chili’s cook up “hyper-palatable food that requires little chewing and goes down easily,” he notes. And Dr. Kessler reports that the Snickers bar, for instance, is “extraordinarily well engineered.” As we chew it, the sugar dissolves, the fat melts and the caramel traps the peanuts so the entire combination of flavors is blissfully experienced in the mouth at the same time.

Foods rich in sugar and fat are relatively recent arrivals on the food landscape, Dr. Kessler noted. But today, foods are more than just a combination of ingredients. They are highly complex creations, loaded up with layer upon layer of stimulating tastes that result in a multisensory experience for the brain. Food companies “design food for irresistibility,” Dr. Kessler noted. “It’s been part of their business plans.”

But this book is less an exposé about the food industry and more an exploration of us. “My real goal is, How do you explain to people what’s going on with them?” Dr. Kessler said. “Nobody has ever explained to people how their brains have been captured.”
The book, a New York Times best seller, includes Dr. Kessler’s own candid admission that he struggles with overeating.

“I wouldn’t have been as interested in the question of why we can’t resist food if I didn’t have it myself,” he said. “I gained and lost my body weight several times over. I have suits in every size.”

This is not a diet book, but Dr. Kessler devotes a sizable section to “food rehab,” offering practical advice for using the science of overeating to our advantage, so that we begin to think differently about food and take back control of our eating habits.
One of his main messages is that overeating is not due to an absence of willpower, but a biological challenge made more difficult by the over stimulating food environment that surrounds us. “Conditioned hypereating” is a chronic problem that is made worse by dieting and needs to be managed rather than cured, he said. And while lapses are inevitable, Dr. Kessler outlines several strategies that address the behavioral, cognitive and nutritional factors that fuel overeating.

Planned and structured eating and understanding your personal food triggers are essential. In addition, educating yourself about food can help alter your perceptions about what types of food are desirable. Just as many of us now find cigarettes repulsive, Dr. Kessler argues that we can also undergo similar “perceptual shifts” about large portion sizes and processed foods. For instance, he notes that when people who once loved to eat steak become vegetarians, they typically begin to view animal protein as disgusting.

The advice is certainly not a quick fix or a guarantee, but Dr. Kessler said that educating himself in the course of writing the book had helped him gain control over his eating.

“For the first time in my life, I can keep my weight relatively stable,” he said. “Now, if you stress me and fatigue me and put me in an airport and the plane is seven hours late — I’m still going to grab those chocolate-covered pretzels. The old circuitry will still show its head.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?_r=1

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
How the Food Makers Captured Our Brains

New York Times
by Tara Parker-Pope
Published: June 22, 2009

As head of the Food and Drug Administration, Dr. David A. Kessler served two presidents and battled Congress and Big Tobacco. But the Harvard-educated pediatrician discovered he was helpless against the forces of a chocolate chip cookie.

In an experiment of one, Dr. Kessler tested his willpower by buying two gooey chocolate chip cookies that he didn’t plan to eat. At home, he found himself staring at the cookies, and even distracted by memories of the chocolate chunks and doughy peaks as he left the room. He left the house, and the cookies remained uneaten. Feeling triumphant, he stopped for coffee, saw cookies on the counter, and gobbled one down.

“Why does that chocolate chip cookie have such power over me?” Dr. Kessler asked in an interview. “Is it the cookie, the representation of the cookie in my brain? I spent seven years trying to figure out the answer.”

The result of Dr. Kessler’s quest is a fascinating new book, “The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite” (Rodale).

During his time at the Food and Drug Administration, Dr. Kessler maintained a high profile, streamlining the agency, pushing for faster approval of drugs and overseeing the creation of the standardized nutrition label on food packaging. But Dr. Kessler is perhaps best known for his efforts to investigate and regulate the tobacco industry, and his accusation that cigarette makers intentionally manipulated nicotine content to make their products more addictive.

In “The End of Overeating,” Dr. Kessler finds some similarities in the food industry, which has combined and created foods in a way that taps into our brain circuitry and stimulates our desire for more.

When it comes to stimulating our brains, Dr. Kessler noted, individual ingredients aren’t particularly potent. But by combining fats, sugar and salt in innumerable ways, food makers have essentially tapped into the brain’s reward system, creating a feedback loop that stimulates our desire to eat and leaves us wanting more and more even when we’re full.

Dr. Kessler isn’t convinced that food makers fully understand the neuroscience of the forces they have unleashed, but food companies certainly understand human behavior, taste preferences and desire. In fact, he offers descriptions of how restaurants and food makers manipulate ingredients to reach the aptly named “bliss point.” Foods that contain too little or too much sugar, fat or salt are either bland or overwhelming. But food scientists work hard to reach the precise point at which we derive the greatest pleasure from fat, sugar and salt.

The result is that chain restaurants like Chili’s cook up “hyper-palatable food that requires little chewing and goes down easily,” he notes. And Dr. Kessler reports that the Snickers bar, for instance, is “extraordinarily well engineered.” As we chew it, the sugar dissolves, the fat melts and the caramel traps the peanuts so the entire combination of flavors is blissfully experienced in the mouth at the same time.

Foods rich in sugar and fat are relatively recent arrivals on the food landscape, Dr. Kessler noted. But today, foods are more than just a combination of ingredients. They are highly complex creations, loaded up with layer upon layer of stimulating tastes that result in a multisensory experience for the brain. Food companies “design food for irresistibility,” Dr. Kessler noted. “It’s been part of their business plans.”

But this book is less an exposé about the food industry and more an exploration of us. “My real goal is, How do you explain to people what’s going on with them?” Dr. Kessler said. “Nobody has ever explained to people how their brains have been captured.”
The book, a New York Times best seller, includes Dr. Kessler’s own candid admission that he struggles with overeating.

“I wouldn’t have been as interested in the question of why we can’t resist food if I didn’t have it myself,” he said. “I gained and lost my body weight several times over. I have suits in every size.”

This is not a diet book, but Dr. Kessler devotes a sizable section to “food rehab,” offering practical advice for using the science of overeating to our advantage, so that we begin to think differently about food and take back control of our eating habits.
One of his main messages is that overeating is not due to an absence of willpower, but a biological challenge made more difficult by the over stimulating food environment that surrounds us. “Conditioned hypereating” is a chronic problem that is made worse by dieting and needs to be managed rather than cured, he said. And while lapses are inevitable, Dr. Kessler outlines several strategies that address the behavioral, cognitive and nutritional factors that fuel overeating.

Planned and structured eating and understanding your personal food triggers are essential. In addition, educating yourself about food can help alter your perceptions about what types of food are desirable. Just as many of us now find cigarettes repulsive, Dr. Kessler argues that we can also undergo similar “perceptual shifts” about large portion sizes and processed foods. For instance, he notes that when people who once loved to eat steak become vegetarians, they typically begin to view animal protein as disgusting.

The advice is certainly not a quick fix or a guarantee, but Dr. Kessler said that educating himself in the course of writing the book had helped him gain control over his eating.

“For the first time in my life, I can keep my weight relatively stable,” he said. “Now, if you stress me and fatigue me and put me in an airport and the plane is seven hours late — I’m still going to grab those chocolate-covered pretzels. The old circuitry will still show its head.”

[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?_r=1"]http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?_r=1[/URL]

Very interesting article! Which does explain a few things...like some folks who can't stop eating chocolate chip cookies until they're all gone. 'Course, I could never be accused of such a weakness...;-)

Seriously, I do believe there is lots of truth to that article.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I just hope that as more fish and seafood farms come on line, they don't go the "feedlot" route. That is, I hope they don't start with the high protein, growth hormone diet to get the best return on investment (fast growth) at the expense of food quality. Like cows weren't meant to eat any old crap just to fatten them up (and thus wreck the meat quality), fish should be fed their natural diet too. High production has its place in certain industries, but we're talking food here! Natural farming is OK with me...
Fish farms already have to add nutrients, things that keep viruses and other bug populations to a minimum, etc. That's one of the reasons why there's such a howling going on over farms on BC's coast.
It's the same old thing, garbage in, garbage out. Garbage into the air, garbage out; garbage into the oceans, garbage out; garbage into bodies, garbage out.