Farmed salmon is a viable alternative to wild caught salmon

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I for one eat very little seafood period when I do its wild Atlantic seafood.
I like Cape Breton lobster at the right time of year and the rest can be shared
with folks who like it. I eat shrimp as well but nothing from China or Asia.
I do not trust the process and the rules they use simple as that. Any food stuff
from Asia I avoid with the exception of Japanese foods and oranges.
I am not concerned about conventional vs organic as there is no difference at all.
I don't like the farmed salmon idea but it would make no difference as I hate salmon
period. The other two products I nibble on sardines and cod the rest not so much

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I for one eat very little seafood period when I do its wild Atlantic seafood.
I like Cape Breton lobster at the right time of year and the rest can be shared
with folks who like it. I eat shrimp as well but nothing from China or Asia.
I do not trust the process and the rules they use simple as that. Any food stuff
from Asia I avoid with the exception of Japanese foods and oranges.
I am not concerned about conventional vs organic as there is no difference at all.
I don't like the farmed salmon idea but it would make no difference as I hate salmon
period. The other two products I nibble on sardines and cod the rest not so much

What????????????? You don't like Chop Suey?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There are several farms growing Pacifics now.

And if you buy Alaskan 'wild' salmon, then you have a roughly 1 in 4 chance of eating something that began it's life in a hatchery. Some of those 'wild' fish are held in cages to grow larger than the wild smolts before release. Though that's for all salmon, for some species/stocks the rate is upwards of 50% hatchery stock.

Yet again, aquaculture research making a big difference to the wild fishing industry.

This is a fact that was conspicuously absent in that waste of money Cohen Commission, as was the waste in the form of by-catch for the International commercial fleets in the Gulf of Alaska. All we did as tax payers is educate some lawyers on fishery management and biology.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Mmmmm..... Good!

Proof they really do eat anything.