Famous Abortionist given Order of Canada!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Whether you agree with the constitutional right of women to be secure in their own bodies is quite beside the point. The man risked his freedom, his safety, and his life to be frank, in order to fight for a right he felt women should have.... to be free to make their own medical decisions surrounding their fertility. In the end, the courts found they had to agree with him. That's the tricky thing about rights... not everyone always wants to grant them (look at the lucrative nature of slavery as an example). Majority rule doesn't always win out when deciding what is and isn't a human right.

I happen to be pro-life. I would call myself pro-choice, but, I abhor the use of abortion as birth control. But, I've also come to see all the reasons and instances where it is drastically medically necessary. Morgantaler fought an incredibly tough battle, to ensure that women who needed a necessary medical service would be guaranteed access to it and not have their health or their life held hostage by someone else's religious beliefs. I say kudos to him for fighting that battle and winning. I wish it were an unnecessary battle... that humanity had the discretion necessary to use abortion only when absolutely needed and that those charged with handling women's care were never patronizing religious zealots who believe that an abortion should NEVER happen, but, that's not reality.

Reactions: Tonington

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Certainly a hot subject! Instead of responding individually, I offer you an article from a lady whose views and sentiments I share. It would be nice, if you all would take the time to read her short essay. She brings a few different points into view we have not even touched on.

Following is her closing argument...
It may sound melodramatic, but it is nothing more than the truth that Dr. Morgentaler and his acolytes have the heartbreak of many parents of dead or physically impaired babies on their conscience. Or should have. Ideological fervour should not be confused with character. Henry Morgentaler is not a role model for his fellow citizens, and does not deserve the Order of Canada.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...of-canada.aspx

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Certainly a hot subject! Instead of responding individually, I offer you an article from a lady whose views and sentiments I share. It would be nice, if you all would take the time to read her short essay. She brings a few different points into view we have not even touched on.

Following is her closing argument...http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...of-canada.aspx
Who said an abortion wasn't heartbreaking? Why were they there in the first place? Choice #1 was lousy. Choice #2 was worse. Of course people are going to feel emotional about it. But better that then gestapo enforcing forced birth on the pregnant masses.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
He saved womens lives,

Because women (who had abortions before him) used to go to illegal clinics that were very unhygenic to say the least, or they would simply try it themselves or commit suicide rather than deal with a society that wouldn't accept unwed mothers.

Perhaps if those who opposed him on religious grounds had ensured their fellow practitioners hadn't persecuted unwed mothers the issue wouldn't have been as pressing.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Morgentaler named to Order of Canada

Morgenthaler:?:..... Is Canada going down the drain, just like the millions of babies he helped down the sewer pipes?

What on earth is this world coming to!!!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...080630.order01

He risked the security of his health and life for what he believed in, and helped open the door for millions of women to get a safe and clean procedure for something that might have posed greater risks or mental turama or their lives..... defending the lives of those already living.

I say good for him. An abortion is between the couple in question and their doctor..... it is not your's or anybody else's business, regardless of someone's religious morals or personal opinions.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
He risked the security of his health and life for what he believed in, and helped open the door for millions of women to get a safe and clean procedure for something that might have posed greater risks or mental turama or their lives..... defending the lives of those already living.

I say good for him. An abortion is between the couple in question and their doctor..... it is not your's or anybody else's business, regardless of someone's religious morals or personal opinions.

Mental trauma?? Give me a break If you don't want a kid, don't screw in the first place or use protection. Rape might be the exception.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Who said an abortion wasn't heartbreaking? Why were they there in the first place? Choice #1 was lousy. Choice #2 was worse. Of course people are going to feel emotional about it. But better that then gestapo enforcing forced birth on the pregnant masses.
I'm not here to argue with anyone, least of all.. you! Your Gestapo sidekick is out of place here!!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Mental trauma?? Give me a break If you don't want a kid, don't screw in the first place or use protection. Rape might be the exception.

Why? If you're going to go Cro Mangnon, you may as well go all the way and stone her to death for being in a position where she might be raped. I don't believe abortion is right either. It just doesn't happen to be up to me. Let they who have to deal with it deal with it without the imposed guilt. It ain't a Church.

Morgentaler, for all the evil folks may think of him, offered a clinical setting with medical assistance. He stood up for womens' rights not to have to resort to backstreet butchers, coat hangers, Coke, Comet clenser. Face it, whether the self righteous like it or not, people are going to fall in lust and drop the laundry. The community is not God. We can't control that either.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If you don't want the choice don't screw around. No one is forcing anyone to have one.

Who would decide if it was rape and how long does that process take? And why would a fetus have less rights if it was conceived that way?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Seems clear enough....

Some people reserve the right to make choices for everyone else....to grant rights and freedoms on the basis of their own morality and their own value system.... It's clean and easy (deciding to limit rights and impose your values and your morality on everyone else) except of course when it impacts you directly.

Some want gun-control because that's going to give us peace and harmony....eliminate crime and cure the ills of the planet...some don't want women to have a choice about bearing young or not.... everyone has the right to live....unless you're Iraqi or the flavor-of-the-day terrorist.....

Surrendering your rights is the first step toward totalitarianism.

Reactions: dancing-loon

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
OK, so a girl makes a baby with her boyfriend, decides she doesn't like him and goes for an abortion. You consider that OK? Give me a break. Its just an easy way out, no mental trauma there.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm not here to argue with anyone, least of all.. you! Your Gestapo sidekick is out of place here!!

Oh give it a rest and grow up. You've been pulling this 'can't argue with mods' crap since day one. No one else has trouble debating issues with the mods on this site. Grow up or leave already, but whining incessantly just keeps losing you respect.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Not everything ends up in the sewers.... some parts of the aborted foetus goes to the lab in Israel.

Aborted foetus could provide eggs

An aborted foetus could one day become the mother of a new baby by "donating" her eggs to an infertile woman, say researchers.

The highly controversial idea has been suggested as one solution to a worldwide shortage of women prepared to donate their eggs to help other women become pregnant.
It moved a little closer to reality on Monday with the unveiling of research from Israel and the Netherlands which found that the ovarian tissues taken from second and third trimester foetuses could be kept alive in the laboratory for weeks.

This, of course, makes me wonder, if Dr. Morgentaler sold some of his more developed foetuses? I mean, the researchers have to get them from somewhere, don't they?
I'm fully aware of the controversy about this - but probably, in some place, it will be ethically acceptable
Dr Tal Biron-Shenton, Meir Hospital
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3031800.stm

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
In case you haven't noticed....birthrates of rich wealthy nations is dropping like crazy and there's a good possibility that we'll live to see another war of greed and ideology consume the young men and women who will propagate the human species...

So some backasward country like Canada gives an abortionist an award....big deal.

Would you prefer the British make him a "Sir"

Tempest in a teapot....at best.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
OK, so a girl makes a baby with her boyfriend, decides she doesn't like him and goes for an abortion. You consider that OK? Give me a break. Its just an easy way out, no mental trauma there.
Would it make any difference if she had sex recently with two people and either could be the father, and one was a technically date rape? Would that pass the threshold of the judgment maker? Is she in enough dire straits to be given the authority to terminate her pregnancy now, or would she need more proof that the situation is even worse before receiving her approval?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Not everything ends up in the sewers.... some parts of the aborted foetus goes to the lab in Israel.

Aborted foetus could provide eggs

An aborted foetus could one day become the mother of a new baby by "donating" her eggs to an infertile woman, say researchers.

The highly controversial idea has been suggested as one solution to a worldwide shortage of women prepared to donate their eggs to help other women become pregnant.
It moved a little closer to reality on Monday with the unveiling of research from Israel and the Netherlands which found that the ovarian tissues taken from second and third trimester foetuses could be kept alive in the laboratory for weeks.

This, of course, makes me wonder, if Dr. Morgentaler sold some of his more developed foetuses? I mean, the researchers have to get them from somewhere, don't they? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3031800.stm
It's against the law in Canada and Britain.

Last edited: