Family Pit Bull attacks 2 day old

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is definitely a breed issue. Irresponsible breeders have bred these dogs for aggressiveness and other attributes that made them successful fighting dogs and guard dogs. Thank God dog fights are now mostly a thing of the past but inbreeding has made Pit Bulls and other similar breeds unreliable and dangerous. What I have never understood is how people can still think of these dogs as pets. The idea that guard dogs and pet dogs to have around children can be the same animal is ludicrous. It is not as if these terrible Pit Bull attacks over the years have been secret.
They have to be trained to be aggressive and fight just like any other pet dog.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

yes, and other than police dogs, which are trained in a humane and intelligent manner, the pitt bulls
and other breeds are often treated in a cruel manner, so they will become aggressive, and they feel threatened when approached and
are put into a state of self defense most of the time, and they are kept out of any contact with people
for long periods at a time, which makes them 'kennel bound', as many dogs are like that when they live
in large kennels, and become very wary of people, frightened and shy, throughout the first couple years
of their lives, and that 'sets' a personality into the dog, that takes a long time remove.

breeders who have interbred types of dogs who can and are trained in this manner should be prosecuted and
have their animals taken away, as it is they who give the breeds a bad name, and if those dogs had been
raised in a good home environment, by intelligent and caring people, they would be fine.

the dog whisperer has explained more than once about pitt bulls, and he is just fine with them, doesn't
give them that reputation at all. IT IS THE PEOPLE, not the dog.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I guess it always comes down to the amount of damage a certain breed can inflict. Many years ago someone at work was going to have a 3 year old Lhasa Apso put down. When I asked why she told me that after a divorce (not hers) the dog ended up at her mother's house but had taken to nipping at the grandkids.

I wondered how bad could it be seeing as how they are just little guys.

I volunteered to take him allthough she seemed tenative and repeatedly asking me if I was sure.

The day she brought him to work for me is when she asked " you don't wear hats do you, like baseball type hats?" to which I said no, why would you ask?

Seems the loser ( i suspect it was her brother) who it originally belonged to wore a hat and drank a lot (explains the divorce) and would whack the dog around, upon which it became defensive.

She then warns me he does not like anyone touching his neck as I found out one day early on putting his collar as he growled and caught a bit of my thumb, but he seemed okay with other dogs and people until about the 7th year we had him.

We left him at the mother in laws for some reason and she was putting his collar on to take him out and he grabbed her hand for 20 stiches. The hospital wanted too know who's dog it was so they could report it to whoever they would report it to and said if it happened again he would be taken and put down.

At the same time, new people moved in next door and they had a few kids under 10 who we knew would be attracted to him. We don't have fences between out lots.

We weren't sure what to do. We couldn't have been any nicer to him but he just couldn't forget those early beatings I guess.

He was also developing bladder troubles so we decided to put him down.

The moral of the story is, dogs will respond to the enviroment they are brought up in and to their natural instincts. His first 3 years weren't good for his mental well being so he defended hinself when he thought he was going to get hurt, but his natural instinct is to be nice to the master.

A Pit Bull and some others have a natural instinct (some have it bred into them) to hunt.

We have had a Bichon for 7 years since he was a pup and you couldn't find a gentler dog, but then again he gets treated like a King..........

Of the 4,162 dogs involved in fatal and disfiguring attacks on humans occurring in the U.S. & Canada since September 1982, when I began logging the data, 2,589 (62%) were pit bulls; 534 were Rottweilers; 3,343 were of related molosser breeds, including pit bulls, Rottweilers, Dogos, mastiffs, boxers, and their mixes. Of the 510 human fatalities, 258 were killed by pit bulls; 84 were killed by Rottweilers; 380 (69%) were killed by molosser breeds.

Of the 2,301 people who were disfigured, 1,503 (61%) were disfigured by pit bulls; 307 were disfigured by Rottweilers; 1,907 (82%) were disfigured by molosser breeds.

Pit bulls, incidentally, inflict about 10 times as many fatal and disfiguring injuries on other pets and livestock as on humans, a pattern unique to the pit bull class.

Surveys of dogs offered for sale or adoption indicate... that pit bulls are less than 5% of the U.S. dog population; molosser breeds, all combined, are 9%.

The "wolf-like" breeds, including German shepherds, Akitas, huskies, Samoyeds, Malamutes, wolf hybrids, and their mixes, have killed 81 people and disfigured 232. Cumulatively they are 3.9% of the U.S. dog population; about 5% including Canada.

18 Dobermans & Doberman mixes have been involved in attacks that killed seven people and disfigured 10. Dobermans are 1.3% of the U.S. dog population, according to classified ad surveys.

Just 81 large retrievers, by comparison, including all Labs, goldens, and mixes exclusive of pit mixes, have been involved in fatal or disfiguring attacks over these same 30.5 years, resulting in 8 fatalities and 26 disfigurements. Large retrievers are 7.4% of the U.S. dog population.

See More

at Animal People

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How many were guard/working dogs (home/commercial/farm/criminal)?

How many raised aggressive?

How many provoked?

How many were pets?

Which breed is the first choice as guard/working dog in both legit and criminal worlds in the USA?

How many male?

Single male or in a group?

How many female?

How many female with pups?

How many were injured?

How many were sick?

How many were fed properly?

How many were malnourished?

Poverty owners?

Middle class family?

Wealthy?

Elite?

Royalty?

If you're going to look at it like a homicide, you have to take EVERYTHING into account.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Not entirely true... people ignore the fact that animals are animals, and they will naturally have the same variations any animal in nature will have. There will be docile deer who will run, there will be aggressive deer who chase your *** down. Just like with dogs you could get the docile runt, the hyper beta pack dog, and the aggressive alpha male. Left to their own devices and running feral with no human contact, they'll kill you as soon as look at you. Aggressiveness in an animal is not solely a human construct. Knowing which it was in any particular animal (trained in, or a failure to train it out), is not as easy as people like to think.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Not entirely true... people ignore the fact that animals are animals, and they will naturally have the same variations any animal in nature will have. There will be docile deer who will run, there will be aggressive deer who chase your *** down. Just like with dogs you could get the docile runt, the hyper beta pack dog, and the aggressive alpha male. Left to their own devices and running feral with no human contact, they'll kill you as soon as look at you. Aggressiveness in an animal is not solely a human construct. Knowing which it was in any particular animal (trained in, or a failure to train it out), is not as easy as people like to think.

ahem...

Attachments

• bunny bad.jpg
    bunny bad.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Communist-Donald-Duck--4278.jpg
    Communist-Donald-Duck--4278.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 3
  • cannon monkey.jpg
    cannon monkey.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 3
  • pokemon wars.jpg
    pokemon wars.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 3

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have a small 9 pound cat...I would NEVER leave that cat alone near a baby or toddler ever...animals are unpredictable... it is not the animals fault...if we began to put the owners down, I just bet the kill ratio by dogs would drop to near zero.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I honestly have no idea what the heck you're trying to say.

bunny beastiality, Commie threat ducks, gunner monkeys....
Baddddd animals...