Faith coerced is not faith its tyranny

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Self thanks so much !!

The beauty of things is that we are all so different - great attributes and warts too - none of us are exempt. You are filled with nurture and the ultimate mothering which I lack due inexperience and how
my life has turned out.

It is good to see ourselves through others' eyes tho and not to be put down by criticism - even if some of it hurts - but to take it as a free gift which we can use or throw away....

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
I think you all have a very good perspective on life. You all are agreeing on the one principle which states, " do unto others as you would like to be done unto you".

This principle has no mention of the word God in it.

I for one have experienced a transformation of my beliefs.

Where I was, as you all discribe about Christianity, I am no longer in bondage to those actions.

I can tell you this one thing, that my new understandings of God have given me a new look at all the religions of the world.

I see as He sees us.

As for parenting, I have six. My7 youngest 20. That tells my age.

Anyways, I raised them under all the beliefs of Christianity and have no regrets.

They have a foundation on which to build upon, and if they choose to vary from it, then they do it at their own risk.

That risk of course is the playing field I've talked about in other threads.

They have to experience life each according to the rules of the game, and learning from them as life gives them time.

One thing for sure, they all know their dad, and have a confidence in Him, that he will never forsake them, regardless of what they do.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays!!!

Peace>>>AJ

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Self thanks so much !!

The beauty of things is that we are all so different - great attributes and warts too - none of us are exempt. You are filled with nurture and the ultimate mothering which I lack due inexperience and how
my life has turned out.

It is good to see ourselves through others' eyes tho and not to be put down by criticism - even if some of it hurts - but to take it as a free gift which we can use or throw away....

Im sorry I had typed up a really great post and lost it as I submitted it. Lets try again ;)

I find it absolutely amazing how we all are the teacher AND the student. It cmpletely blows my mind how when we allow the flow to happen we are so insynch. Everything just falls in place.

In my world I take a bit from here and a bit from there and I keep what resonates. Its like a feast and I want to taste all the good bits. And after awhile you notice that WOW we are so much alike! We want all the same things! I have learned (*looking for sassy*) to think outside the box! Hell I threw the box away!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I think you all have a very good perspective on life. You all are agreeing on the one principle which states, " do unto others as you would like to be done unto you".

This principle has no mention of the word God in it.

I for one have experienced a transformation of my beliefs.

Where I was, as you all discribe about Christianity, I am no longer in bondage to those actions.

I can tell you this one thing, that my new understandings of God have given me a new look at all the religions of the world.

I see as He sees us.

As for parenting, I have six. My7 youngest 20. That tells my age.

Anyways, I raised them under all the beliefs of Christianity and have no regrets.

They have a foundation on which to build upon, and if they choose to vary from it, then they do it at their own risk.

That risk of course is the playing field I've talked about in other threads.

They have to experience life each according to the rules of the game, and learning from them as life gives them time.

One thing for sure, they all know their dad, and have a confidence in Him, that he will never forsake them, regardless of what they do.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays!!!

Peace>>>AJ

AJ you are teaching me so much. And by the way my youngest is 19 ;) Mostly you are teaching me about language. Your language is very......Dad. LOL once I realised that I really see a kind man that wants only the best for his family. Like your view of God. Its quite beautiful actually. Thank You for being a teacher :)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I think coercion is for the most part to be avoided. As a parent, one periodically has to exercise authority, but I prefer to leave the coercion to times when it would prevent serious harm. The rest of the time I think it's just misuse and abuse of authority and we have no end of that to deal with in society now. I prefer to explain to, and if I can, show kids what can happen if they perform harmful (to them or others) activities. I do not need a faith to be able to follow a decent existence, nor do I need one to raise kids to have decent existences, so I will not inflict a faith on them. If they wish to go see, no problem.

I totally agree. I learned (because as parents we learn from our kids ) that coersion did absolutely nothing. It made them angry and me angry. It only taught them fustration and it was all ove religion. So they get mad at God. Well theres a great relationship......not. If the kids chose not to go to church on sunday mornings I just went alone. We had one Major that had a rule if the kids didnt go on sunday then they couldnt go on activities during the week.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Faith Coerced ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/21/wburma21.xml

Burma 'orders Christians to be wiped out'

By Peter Pattisson in Kayin State, southern Burma, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 12:02am GMT 21/01/2007

The military regime in Burma is intent on wiping out Christianity in the country, according to claims in a secret document believed to have been leaked from a government ministry. Entitled "Programme to destroy the Christian religion in Burma", the incendiary memo contains point by point instructions on how to drive Christians out of the state.
The text, which opens with the line "There shall be no home where the Christian religion is practised", calls for anyone caught evangelising to be imprisoned. It advises: "The Christian religion is very gentle – identify and utilise its weakness."
Its discovery follows widespread reports of religious persecution, with churches burnt to the ground, Christians forced to convert to the state religion, Buddhism, and their children barred from school.

Human rights groups claim that the treatment meted out to Christians, who make up six per cent of the population, is part of a wider campaign by the regime, also targeted at ethnic minority tribes, to create a uniform society in which the race and language is Burmese and the only accepted religion is Buddhism.
In the past year, an estimated 27,000 members of the predominantly Christian Karen tribe were driven from their homes in eastern Burma.
In Koh Kyi village, in Arakan State, a monk backed by the military burnt down the local church. In another state, 300 monks were allegedly sent by the regime to forcibly convert the populace, all of whom belonged to the Chin ethnic group, which is mostly Christian.
The document, shown to The Sunday Telegraph by human rights groups, may have been produced by a state-sponsored Buddhist group, but with the tacit approval of the military junta. The regime has denied authorship of the document – which also calls for teenagers to be prevented from wearing Western clothes – but has made no public attempt to refute or repudiate its contents.
The dictatorship has long been accused of large-scale human rights abuses. In power since 1988, the generals annulled the National League for Democracy's sweeping 1990 election victory and jailed its leader, the Nobel peace prize-winner Aung San Suu Kyi. She remains under house arrest. Last week she was accused of tax evasion for failing to hand over any of her Nobel prize winnings to the authorities.
Eha Hsar Paw, a Karen Christian, who fled her village while heavily pregnant to a refugee camp near the border with Thailand, said: "The journey here was very difficult. It was hard to leave our village, but if we had stayed there we would all be dead."

Now, just imagine if these were Muslims who said that about Christians or Jews -- the forum's right wingers would have had a field day insulting that religion.