Facts about seniors' income

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You'll be learning a hard lesson... Renting is a great way to get someone else to pay your mortgage.

PS - If you believe that as a renter you aren't paying those taxes, upkeep and related costs, you're living in a fantasy

Oops, clearly you misunderstood. I never said you weren't paying these things. But please, carry on. It's clear you can't argue the points I've made so let's make up a bunch and argue against those. The purpose is, after all, to argue in favour of your entitlements whilst shyting on others entitlements.

Doesn't matter...

Interestingly, I see that you equate this as a 'tax'... Nothing farther from the truth...

I'm sure you think so. It's much easier to defend your entitlement that way. I can only assume that you must believe that when a 64 year old with grown children drops dead, his kids will get the money he paid into CPP...I mean considering it's not a tax right?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Oops, clearly you misunderstood. I never said you weren't paying these things. But please, carry on. It's clear you can't argue the points I've made so let's make up a bunch and argue against those. The purpose is, after all, to argue in favour of your entitlements whilst shyting on others entitlements.

I'm sure you think so. It's much easier to defend your entitlement that way. I can only assume that you must believe that when a 64 year old with grown children drops dead, his kids will get the money he paid into CPP...I mean considering it's not a tax right?

Do you even know what you're arguing here?

Are you high right now?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That's bullsh*t - it was a percentage of our wage like it is today. I believe when I first started paying back in 1966 it was $80 a year! :)

Yup, and $80/year is a pittance by today's standards.

People seem to have this notion that the CPP is like regular pension plan in that you get your own money back after paying in throughout your working life. I paid about $20,000 into my pension plan last year and 2500 into CPP. I highly doubt my pension will pay me 10 times what CPP would. Another thing that people fail to realize is that CPP is more than just retirement income and based solely on your income. My wife worked for three years (between college and our first kid). When she became permanently disabled 4 or 5 years ago, she started collecting CPP at aged 49. She gets $7800 per year so the first year, she got back any money she put in. Our three kids get $220/month each as long as they are in school.

It's a social program, not an insurance scheme.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's a fast way to lose an election.

Only in an area over run with seniors. WE are quite happy that Wynn is trying to keep Ontario seniors in Ontario since when they retire to BC they are entitled to use the full range of medical benefits without ever having contributed to the BCmedical .

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If a store offers a senior's discount based on age, then a senior isn't 'ripping them off' by getting the discount, no matter what the income is.

Yup, seniors would never vote for somebody that expected them to pay their own way

Nobody will ever vote for someone like that. Nobody ever does.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If a store offers a senior's discount based on age, then a senior isn't 'ripping them off' by getting the discount, no matter what the income is.

This is the dysfunctional idiot you just quoted pet peeve,
He's only jealous because he's not a senior yet...
After all he's gonna refuse all those benefits when he grows up
So he says .....:rolleyes:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Only in an area over run with seniors. WE are quite happy that Wynn is trying to keep Ontario seniors in Ontario since when they retire to BC they are entitled to use the full range of medical benefits without ever having contributed to the BCmedical .

Back in the day there was transfer payment that supposedly would take care of that situation? What is the status of transfer payments today? Is this shit not being dealt with?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I thought there was a 6 month residency requirement?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

"Thickhead" can't seem to get it though that mound of concrete above his shoulders that the criteria is AGE not INCOME! Can it be put any simpler than that?

This is the dysfunctional idiot you just quoted pet peeve,
He's only jealous because he's not a senior yet...
After all he's gonna refuse all those benefits when he grows up
So he says .....:rolleyes:

Someone is almost bound to shoot that miserable S.O.B. years before he qualifies for any gratus stuff!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
For the most part the seniors who have assets or even those without have been paying into the system all their life. Why are they not entitled to take some out towards the end? And why punish those who have worked at acquiring assets? They won't need as much of a help.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ontario plans to spend millions on new seniors strategy | National Post

Seniors should sell their homes to help pay for their care instead of expecting others to subsidize them. It's a good thing they have the younger generations to look after them. It's just a shame they couldn't show a little more respected to those that are supporting them

What a f**king idiot!!!! How much money did those same seniors pay while buying their homes that wound up in gov't coffers? In many cases far more than what they actually paid for the house - this PR!CK has is obviously delirious when it comes to the interest rates of 1982!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
What a f**king idiot!!!! How much money did those same seniors pay while buying their homes that wound up in gov't coffers? In many cases far more than what they actually paid for the house - this PR!CK has is obviously delirious when it comes to the interest rates of 1982!
I see nothing wrong with it, seniors should look after their own retirement costs.
Many of them go thru life spending like there is no tomorrow, then they expect the government to look after them when they retire,,,,screw that,,,look after your own retirement.