F-35 Stealth Fighters Come Without Engines

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Here's a better idea, don't buy them at all until we can afford them. The americans are going to buy 2500 of these things with a deficit of 1.5 trillion....morons.

Last time I checked we have a 50 billion dollar deficit....perhaps we wait until 2015 when the cons promise to have the deficit at zero.
Here is the Canadian Debt Clock and watch those number go. You can add a little bit more!

Canadian debt clock - Bing

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The answer is quite simple, they are stealth planes, so you would not be able to see the engines, but you will see the bill along with the special contracts, R&D loans etc for shall we say Pratt & Whitney????

Now THAT was funny.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
No engines might keep the price down to the projected $29 billion, either that or Canada is buying expensive gliders. The Conservatives committed themselves to buying new fighter planes, but that doesn't mean the planes had to be capable of independent flight. It is probably similar to Harper's promise of fiscal responsibility and then running up the largest deficit in Canadian history or his other promise to reform the Senate and then using the Senate in an identical manner to very other Prime Minister. Or maybe it is more like his promise to only hold elections on fixed dates every four years, a promise that barely lasted two.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Only in Canada you say? We need to know the cost of this bloody project, Never mind if the
engines are going to be built here there or anywhere else. This is a no bid deal with no engines
and no final price tag. Remember those Italian trucks we bought some years ago? They were
so useless they couldn't even be used to push snow of an airfield runway.
Good God who made this deal and who is going to explain it to the Canadian public? No one
that is who. A plane that's not a plane, you can call it what ever you like, if it won't fly because
it has no engine, it is not really a plane.
This is too funny for words, of course Mr Harper is working for you, we will save a lot in fuel costs
if they won't fly. We can park them next to the Subs we bought from Britain. They won't work that
well under water.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Nice spin Unf.

Why don't you wait until the facts are in, before you go making yourself look like an ass?

It's called objectivity, you should give it a try.

Calm down big boy.

It's an election, 35 billion bucks is an election issue. Sure we could hold off on all comments on issues until the election is over and not raise any inconvenient points but that isn't really a very democratic way of running an election is it?

Free speech being what it is, I'll say what I please and you are welcome to agree, disagree or not hold any opinion on it. But don't tell me to shut up as it's not your place to do so.

The F35s should have freakin' engines for the money we're expected to go so deep into debt for. That someone raises a point that the wording of the agreement is that we're to supply our own engines for them is only just coming to light now. As such it deserves some discussion. If this becomes an issue large enough that the leaders of the parties have to address it in the media then even better. We get some clarification. That is never a bad thing mate.

If the fact of the matter is that the engines are going to be developed here and are included in the cost already stated, great. Let's make that point clear. If not, then how much more is it going to cost and why wasn't it made clear before now?

All questions, I'd love to hear the answers to Gh. I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out of this.

I'm no fan of the F35. I would prefer the Super Hornet.

But I just can't stand the nuttery and hackery, that some people try and pass off as being thoughtful or vigilant, these days.

Why is it that an election isn't the time to ask these questions and expect answers to them in your opinion?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Only in Canada you say? We need to know the cost of this bloody project, Never mind if the
engines are going to be built here there or anywhere else. This is a no bid deal with no engines
and no final price tag. Remember those Italian trucks we bought some years ago? They were
Good God who made this deal and who is going to explain it to the Canadian public? No one
that is who. A plane that's not a plane, you can call it what ever you like, if it won't fly because

Comes down to lack of transparency again. I'm sure if Canadians were given the proper financial information, and we were also properly sold on the need for these planes in the first place, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Yes, even with our debt and deficit, even the pacifists could be convinced if there was a rationale behind it.

But we don't get any information from our government at all, and that is extremely disingenuous.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
This is too funny for words, of course Mr Harper is working for you, we will save a lot in fuel costs
if they won't fly. We can park them next to the Subs we bought from Britain. They won't work that
well under water.

The Military bought the Iltis, a jeep, a complete piece of crap - 65 K per copy - After Bombardier won that contract they invested 100 Million in the Western European plant that made these.

Then we bought 2 1/2 ton MLVW's - with an axle that no one in NA makes.

Then we bought the 10 10 Cargo - for approx 50 K - a copy - great vehicle excepting it needed 3 days per month on maintenance - 3 full days to do it correctly.

Then we bought a chopper - Griffin that was to have the ability to provide munitions, supplies to 1st line unit, Artillery, infantry - in one flight including return flight without refueling. They found that they would have to refuel at least twice or 3 times.

Then we bought the ADATS - A great piece of kit - but all the repairs were sole sourced to the builder- example - mother board supplied at the time - early 90's - 40 k from the supplier - DND could have purchased the same mother board for 10 K downtown.

300 Million for a new supply accounting software - does not work - paper and workload increased by a multiple of 3 for supply techs. - Could have purchased a system off the shelf from Australia for under 30 million.

well under water.

The Military bought the Iltis, a jeep, a complete piece of crap - 65 K per copy - After Bombardier won that contract they invested 100 Million in the Western European plant that made these.

Then we bought 2 1/2 ton MLVW's - with an axle that no one in NA makes.

Then we bought the 10 ton Cargo - for approx 50 K - a copy - great vehicle excepting it needed 3 days per month on maintenance - 3 full days to do it correctly.

Then we bought a chopper - Griffin that was to have the ability to provide munitions, supplies to 1st line unit, Artillery, infantry - in one flight including return flight without refueling. They found that they would have to refuel at least twice or 3 times.

Then we bought the ADATS - A great piece of kit - but all the repairs were sole sourced to the builder- example - mother board supplied at the time - early 90's - 40 k from the supplier - DND could have purchased the same mother board for 10 K downtown.

300 Million for a new supply accounting software - does not work - paper and workload increased by a multiple of 3 for supply techs. - Could have purchased a system off the shelf from Australia for under 30 million.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Calm down big boy.
I'm not the one foaming at the mouth. Need a towel bud?

It's an election, 35 billion bucks is an election issue. Sure we could hold off on all comments on issues until the election is over and not raise any inconvenient points but that isn't really a very democratic way of running an election is it?
It's also not what's being said or done in this thread.

Free speech being what it is, I'll say what I please and you are welcome to agree, disagree or not hold any opinion on it. But don't tell me to shut up as it's not your place to do so.
By all means, feel free to make it up as you go along, it seems to be your new modus operandi.
The F35s should have freakin' engines for the money we're expected to go so deep into debt for. That someone raises a point that the wording of the agreement is that we're to supply our own engines for them is only just coming to light now. As such it deserves some discussion. If this becomes an issue large enough that the leaders of the parties have to address it in the media then even better. We get some clarification. That is never a bad thing mate.
Can you show me some discussion?

All I see is kneejerk reaction, to one peace activists 'opinion' of whjat she interprets it to mean. I interpreted it completely different.

If the fact of the matter is that the engines are going to be developed here and are included in the cost already stated, great. Let's make that point clear. If not, then how much more is it going to cost and why wasn't it made clear before now?
Do you have a copy of the minutes to put the selected quote in context?

No, but don't let that stop you from going full speed down that hill pumpkin.

Why is it that an election isn't the time to ask these questions and expect answers to them in your opinion?
Again, can you point out the questions? I might have missed them buried under all that political hay.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Have you accepted delivery on F-35's with no engines, of course not. All that was done was our local idiot's, President Obama and his sidekick Gates decided not to build an alternative engine for the F-35's, Canada will get just what we are going to use.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Have you accepted delivery on F-35's with no engines, of course not. All that was done was our local idiot's, President Obama and his sidekick Gates decided not to build an alternative engine for the F-35's, Canada will get just what we are going to use.

Yeah, another 380 billion of your money down the toilet so you can maintain your wittle empire.

Ever read "The Rise and fall of the Roman Empire"?

Oops, sorry....that's a book.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The whole idea that these fighters would come with no engines is just silly. These aircraft were designed for a specific engine
and not some other engine that might be bought off the shelf.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The whole idea that these fighters would come with no engines is just silly. These aircraft were designed for a specific engine
and not some other engine that might be bought off the shelf.

Well, yes. Which makes it even more strange that the specs show 'government supplied' engines.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Our guys must be extremely good negoiators if the F35 are coming in at 75m a copy (considering we originally were looking at 80 & has since been dropped to to 65)
The Norwegians are paying 744M est for 4 trainers including support. They are looking at a total of 52 jets @ 8B
The Israelis have negoiated 140 m per copy for 20 planes
Turkey is looking at 16B for 100 planes
Austrailia is paying 2.9B for 14 planes
It looks like our have been able to twist arms of the powers that be to be able to the Cdn F35 at about half the price of anyone else. If this is in fact the case our guys deserve accolades if its not the case well you finish the thought.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I read somewhere that there are engine bugs not yet worked out. I don't remember where and I don't care because I'm not paying taxes if the deal goes through. If we buy Russian or Chinese I might be inclined to change my mind. Come on they're way better, they come with engines and their half the cost and you can actually see them doing all the F33 will do some day way into the future, imagine that. They are junk and the whole deal is a rip off from the start. The five on my board is broke.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It looks like our have been able to twist arms of the powers that be to be able to the Cdn F35 at about half the price of anyone else. If this is in fact the case our guys deserve accolades if its not the case well you finish the thought.
Does that include 'ammo' or does the old hardware still work with the new platform?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Yeah, another 380 billion of your money down the toilet so you can maintain your wittle empire.

Ever read "The Rise and fall of the Roman Empire"?

Oops, sorry....that's a book.

I am glad books have reached your home finally, at least you get the idea. Those planes do create jobs, another new innovation for ya. Helps pass the time.