F-35 JSF. Canada's new jet?

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
Desgining and building our own "homegrown" fighter is pretty much out of the question. Our best bet right now is too purchase a replacement aircraft. There have been mention in this thread about just keep the CF-18 maintained and upgraded and it'll still be a very good plane. Well...Israel just kept upgrading the M4 Sherman with better engines, and guns for many years (ie: M50 Super Sherman), but they even realised that the M4 had to be dumped for a new tank at some point.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We might do as Australia did with a limited purchase of an interim fighter while awaiting the choice of the CF188 replacement. I was leaning towards the Grippen but it doesn't have much range. So the RAAF might have the answer with the Super Hornet.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
Should we spend the money on a "temporary plane" or go straight to the full blown replacement? In the "temporary plane" case, we might as well just keep the CF-18 and wait till a full blown replacement is found.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I see the Super Hornet as an interim but who says it has to be so. Canada may keep them and order fewer CF35's and when the Super's are ready for replacement Canada may well be at the point of having pilotless aircraft available to purchase and ready to take its spot.
I don't think the F35 can fulfill the role we need it for as an interceptor/patroller in the north. The S-Hornet would foot that bill. The Grippen might but due to its limited range it would have to be stationed in the far north and I don't see too many pilots looking forward to that deployment.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Tomcats are at rest in Arizona and are likely scheduled to be melted down a sold back to us as a small foreign car. They were very expensive to maintain and from what I've read in the end they needed almost as much maintenance time as Canada's Sea Kings before each flight. One hell of a plane in its time but that time has passed.
The main thing you need to keep an aircraft flying for a long time is a parts chain that lasts as long as the plane. Hell I could've kept my 66 Rambler running if they kept making parts for it. The Super H is just entering service on Carriers now so the parts chain will be around as long as the US Navy says so. It may be a good wagon to jump on board with.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
But I prefer the Tomcats. I loved the F-14s since I was a kid. They're just so bad ass.

I'm not a really a fan of the "interim" idea. Seems to be just a waste of money and time to buy a plane we'll just get rid of a few years down the road. We should just focus on a full blown replacement aircraft.

If the Super Hornet has the long range, its combat capabilities will fit our requirements perfectly and will have parts readily available, then why bother with the F-35?

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm with you on the "why bother with the F35". The S-Hornet is bigger and better yet still somewhat similar to what's defending Canada now. It's also multi-role and costs much less which gives it that "Canadian" quality.
Although.... A few STVOL F35s for the helicopter amphibious ships would give Canada some kick.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
In the end its really irrelevant which jet is superior, politicizations will decide what happens. Look at Australia's purchase of 50 something reconditioned Abrams, in all the tests and trials they did the Leopard 2 proved far superior in every aspect yet they decided to buy Abrams. The sole reason is integration with its main ally, why would Australia (or for that matter Canada) get a superior tank if its not interchangeable with its main ally. Canada simply will not be fighting a war in the foreseeable future without America by its side, so the question is go with a jet thats a little better and cheaper or go with one thats integrated, repairable and upgradeable by your nearest ally?.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
OMG. You are actually asking me where anyone dissed Uncle Sam on this BB?
I've been here three years, and it comes up in almost every thread. "US butt-kissing
Conservative government?"

What is the reason that Canada doesn't make its own aircraft? I don't understand.

Uncle

We're not allowed to have weapons that could be used by organizations like the CBLA to attack Maine or Vermont.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think Canada gave $100MM to the development of the F35 years ago to provide a leg up in getting on cue. One problem, or atleast inconsistency with the jet philosophy of the Canadian military is that it has almost always opted for dual engine planes, because of the vast distances between airports in Canada and the liklihood of a single engine failure. I assume the F22 is not under consideration because of the cost, and the fact it is a single purpose air superiority fighter, instead of the strike, close ground support and air superiority fighter Canada needs. I'm not sure the Eurofighter is any more expensive than the F35, and should be a consideration. The Conservatives though are so closely tied to American business interests i doubt that will happen, if they make the decision.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I still think we should be investigating Russian technology. It's simple. It's tough and you can fix it by whacking it with a hammer. So what if it doesn't come with cupholders....

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
I still think we should be investigating Russian technology. It's simple. It's tough and you can fix it by whacking it with a hammer. So what if it doesn't come with cupholders....

It will simply never happen, as long as America has its foot hold in Canadian politics.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
Our best bet is to stick with American planes. We have a deep relationship with the American aircraft companies since the 1950s. Why leave that and buy the Eurofighter when right next door, the yanks have aircraft that can fully meet our requirements? The F-15 Eagle has the range and costs 34 million dollars. The Eurofighter doesn't even have half the range and costs 122.5 million dollars. Thats over three times the price of the F-15!

Forget about Russian planes, we'll never get them in our lifetime. Despite my love of the Fulcrum and Flanker family.