Expect to pay more to use national parks

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What I have absorbed is that you seem to think is that if something is desirable, we should just do it. Fiscally responsible people like myself, tend to prioritize and ask ourselves if the extra taxes and/or debt is worth it. Do you agree?

Depends! Do you want parks?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Of course. I also want hospitals. Do you place the same level of priority on each?

Parks probably do as much to promote health as hospitals do! :lol: If you have to pay $5 to use a park, it's probably cheaper than most prescriptions you will buy! :smile:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Parks probably do as much to promote health as hospitals do! :lol: If you have to pay $5 to use a park, it's probably cheaper than most prescriptions you will buy! :smile:

So you are saying that if you had to cut expenses you would cut health dollars?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hiking in Bannf is great for recovering from knee surgery.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
They can take a long, hard suck on my arse. I'm not going to pay more or pay to drive through the ****ing nature mall that I already own.

It's pretty hard not to drive through a National Park if one wants to go from BC to Sask or points further - I don't think they should charge someone unless they are actually visiting the park.

Having visited Banff often during my childhood and later teens, I remember that we were always charged a fee for visiting the park though we at least got a really cool sticker for the window.:smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
How does it feel to know you are a human ATM Machine for governments to use?
I won't pay more I don't go to National Parks except to drive through on the way to
somewhere else.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How does it feel to know you are a human ATM Machine for governments to use?
I won't pay more I don't go to National Parks except to drive through on the way to
somewhere else.

I think if you do stop at a National Park for a few hours, you get just as good of a "bang for your buck" as paying to go to the movies!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
JLM problem is I don't go to movies either, they are a waste of time. The last movie
I saw was Moores' 9/11 a few years back. I am not into shoot em ups, explosions
outer space crap, vampires, and most of the stuff they are peddling these days.
If its not on the news channels I don't usually watch it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM problem is I don't go to movies either, they are a waste of time. The last movie

I definitely agree with that!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

To digress off topic here for a moment, I don't watch a lot of movies either, DG but every once in awhile I find one that holds my interest. Frost/Nixon on the History Channel fell into this category.

I spent many happy summers around Banff, Yoho, and Jasper. I do think our parks are a National Treasure and that paying for the privilege of enjoying them is not too much to ask considering the benefits gained by doing so.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
To digress off topic here for a moment, I don't watch a lot of movies either, DG but every once in awhile I find one that holds my interest. Frost/Nixon on the History Channel fell into this category.

I spent many happy summers around Banff, Yoho, and Jasper. I do think our parks are a National Treasure and that paying for the privilege of enjoying them is not too much to ask considering the benefits gained by doing so.

I like stopping just east of Field and watching the trains as they creep through the spiral tunnels, you can watch the engine emerging before the tail end enters.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
You don't have to pay to drive through a park.

Not now, but perhaps in the future. Here's the quote from the article.

Of note, the work proposal identifies highways for which user fees are not charged for through traffic in national parks across
Canada, including Banff, Jasper and Waterton Lakes, Alta.; and at Kootenay and Yoho in B.C. Jager said the study would likely
consider the feasibility of charging user fees for through traffic "and what would be the implications from it."

==============

To save billions, end the Indian Act and the ten billion bucks wasted there each year. That would help the parks big time.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I've got my pass ... if everyone buys their passes real quick, maybe we can avoid this increase.

I don't think that drive throughs should be charged, but all those people that claim to be drive throughs but actually stop along the way, they should be heavily fined.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How come you have to pay to see your own country? I'm gonna charge the mailmanmision to my yard. I have nice rocks they see for free.